• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Toshi's Remarkable Voice

LEMONedMe · 5256

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
on: January 27, 2018, 04:35:50 AM
I was doing some google searches on Toshi in general and ran onto this.  I knew the man had it.  I just didn't know how much he had! Awesomeness!

Toshimitsu "Toshi" Deyama
The Range Place 2.0 :: Work In Progress Threads

Post  Shikkaku on Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:54 am

Voice type: Tenor
Vocal range: G♯2-A5

Significant high notes

A5 (“Namida no Achira Ni”, “Greatest World”, “Story of a Young Boy” Live)
G♯5 (“Fire City”)
G5 (“Namida no Achira Ni”, “Koe to Yuke”)
F♯5 (“Break The Darkness”, “Time Trip Loving”, “Desperate Angel”, “Kabe”, “Kanjiru Heart”)
F5 (“Voiceless Screaming”, “Daichi no Namida”, “Namida no Achira Ni”, “Say Goodbye to Yesterday”, “Stop It”, “Koe to Yuke”, “Greatest World”)
E5 (“Alive”, “X”, “Break The Darkness”, “Art of Life”, “Fire City”, “Honto no Ai”, “Say Yes”, “Lady”, “Love Dynamics”, “Nageki no Heart”, “Greatest World”, “Kuraku Natteru Baai Janai”, “Kanashimi no Hate”)
E♭5 (“Kurenai”, “I'll Kill You”, “Sadistic Desire”, “Jade”, “X”, “Scarlet Love Song”, “Blue Blood”, “Celebration”, “Easy Fight Rambling”, “Stab Me in the Back”, “Desperate Angel”, “Silent Jealousy”, “Voiceless Screaming”, “Miscast”, “Joker”, “Always”)
D5 (“Jade”, “Time Trip Loving”, “Endless Rain”, “Art of Life”, “Longing (Unchained Melody)”, “Forever Love”, “Fire City”, “Kizutsukikowareteshimawanu You Ni”, “Daichi no Namida”, “Feel Your Love”, “Honto no Ai”, “Stop It”, “Koe to Yuke”, “Utsukushii Sora wo Kudasai”, “Samurai Japan”, “Rusty Eyes”, “Kanashimi no Hate”)
C♯5 (“Vanishing Love”, “Phantom of Guilt”, “Sadistic Desire”, “Alive”, “X”. “IV”, “Standing Sex”, “Orgasm”, “Rose of Pain”, “Time Trip Loving”, “Week End”, “Endless Rain”, “Easy Fight Rambling”, “Stab Me in the Back”, “Desperate Angel”, “Silent Jealousy”, “Miscast”, “White Poem I”, “Drain”, “Airport”, “Samurai Japan”, “Always”, “Nageki no Heart”, “Kuraku Natteru Baai Janai”)
C5 (“Jade”, “IV”, “Scarlet Love Song”, “Born To Be Free”, “Celebration”, “Break The Darkness”, “Voiceless Screaming”, “Scars”, “Rusty Nail”, “Crucify My Love”, “Tears”, “Longing (Unchained Melody”, “Kizutsukikowareteshimawanu You Ni”, “Say Goodbye to Yesterday”, “Hoshi yo Nemure”, “Utsukushii Sora wo Kudasai”, “Haru no Ibiki”, “Rusty Eyes”, “Get-up-and-go”, “Heart of the Back”, “Moonstone”)
B4 (“Phantom of Guilt”, “Standing Sex”, “Born to Be Free”, “Blue Blood”, “Art of Life”, “Dahlia”, “Tears”, “Fire City”, “Namida no Achira Ni”, “Feel Your Love”, “Toi Kuni He (I Believe in All of You)”, “Earth in the Dark (To the Blue Sky)” T-Earth Version, “Ushinatta Mono”, “Haruka Naru Jibun”, “Airport”, “Amaoto”, “Samurai Japan”, “Lady”, “Bless You”, “Chase of Times”, “Always”, “Intermission”, “Looming”, “Toki no Hate Ni”)

Significant low notes

E3 (“Honto no Ai”, “Stop It”, “Ushinatta Mono”, “Utsukushii Sora wo Kudasai”, “Airport”, "Nageki no Heart")
E♭3 (“Toki no Hate Ni”, “Phantom of Guilt”)
D3 (“Say Yes”, “Haru no Ibiki”)
C♯3 (“Toi Kuni He (I Believe in All of You)”, “Ushinatta Mono”)
C3 (“Amaoto”)
B2 (“Kanashimi no Hate”, “Rusty Eyes”, “Endless Rain”)
A2 (“Story of a Young Boy” Live, “Toi Kuni He (I Believe in All of You)”, “Nageki no Heart”)
G♯2 (“Toki no Hate Ni”, “Toi Kuni He (I Believe in All of You)”)

*Orange marks notes with questionable registers: absolutely no use figuring out these.
*Blue marks probable non-modal notes.
*Red marks extremely bad, unimpressive or unintentional notes.
*Italics mark non-sung notes.

http://therangeplace.forummotions.com/t1325-toshimitsu-toshi-deyama

Sometimes our tears blinded the love
We lost out dreams along the way
But I never thought you'd trade your soul to the fates
Never thought you'd leave me alone

Teemeah

Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 12:19:46 PM
That needs someone who understand music and singing to evaluate. These numbers mean nothing to me :) I have a friend who studied singing and she commented that Toshi's singing technique is not very "technical", he struggles a lot because he uses his throat for vocalization, which results in unstable high notes a lot of times. I have no idea if that's true. I would really like to hear the opinion of a vocal trainer. :)

I see from search that G♯2-A5 (if the evaluation is true) is a little bit over 3 octaves.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 12:22:38 PM by Teemeah »

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 12:25:06 PM
The numbers are the notes in the notes in the octaves.  This may help, somewhat. 

https://joetheflow.wordpress.com/2012/02/28/lowest-and-highest-sung-notes-guinness-world-record/

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 12:30:56 PM
And this will help a lot more but the above is good as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocal_range

If you are at all familiar with Adam Lambert and his vocal range (I am, but I am not a huge fan of his) then you would know how high he can sing and sustain a high note.  I was listening to something the other night and of course, Toshi was singing.  I usually listen to the live videos, not studio recordings.  Anyway, I swear I heard him hit a high note that was the same or nearly as high as Lambert and that made me quite happy for various reasons that I won't talk about.  lol

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 01:59:10 PM
Yes, he does seem to be singing with his throat or as some call it, head voice.  I sing the same way and in chorus classes, the instructor was always trying to get me to sing from my diaphragm and I just couldn't seem to do it because I controlled the sound, words, etc, with my throat.  Sometimes, the instructor would tell me I was but I couldn't feel it which seems odd but I just couldn't.  I suppose if I had stuck with it and practiced a lot, I may have been able to do what they wanted me to do.  But I didn't go there to sing. I went there to play flute! lol

Offline Kurenai_Akari

• Fan
  • Toshimitsu Deyama fan
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter profile
Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 06:30:31 AM
Ooh, this is pretty interesting. I recently bought a VOCALOID program & I was thinking about covering an O.G. ToshI song before I start making my own songs. I was wondering if anyone knows of a complete list of ToshI's vocal range (like, what range does he start on in "Amaoto". Stuff like that)

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 06:52:37 AM
Ooh, this is pretty interesting. I recently bought a VOCALOID program & I was thinking about covering an O.G. ToshI song before I start making my own songs. I was wondering if anyone knows of a complete list of ToshI's vocal range (like, what range does he start on in "Amaoto". Stuff like that)

I have what is probably an incomplete list of his range, etc.  I posted it before but I don't remember where so I'll just post it here.

The Range Place 2.0 :: Work In Progress Threads

Post Shikkaku on Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:54 am

Voice type: Tenor
Vocal range: G♯2-A5

Significant high notes

A5 (“Namida no Achira Ni”, “Greatest World”, “Story of a Young Boy” Live)
G♯5 (“Fire City”)
G5 (“Namida no Achira Ni”, “Koe to Yuke”)
F♯5 (“Break The Darkness”, “Time Trip Loving”, “Desperate Angel”, “Kabe”, “Kanjiru Heart”)
F5 (“Voiceless Screaming”, “Daichi no Namida”, “Namida no Achira Ni”, “Say Goodbye to Yesterday”, “Stop It”, “Koe to Yuke”, “Greatest World”)
E5 (“Alive”, “X”, “Break The Darkness”, “Art of Life”, “Fire City”, “Honto no Ai”, “Say Yes”, “Lady”, “Love Dynamics”, “Nageki no Heart”, “Greatest World”, “Kuraku Natteru Baai Janai”, “Kanashimi no Hate”)
E♭5 (“Kurenai”, “I'll Kill You”, “Sadistic Desire”, “Jade”, “X”, “Scarlet Love Song”, “Blue Blood”, “Celebration”, “Easy Fight Rambling”, “Stab Me in the Back”, “Desperate Angel”, “Silent Jealousy”, “Voiceless Screaming”, “Miscast”, “Joker”, “Always”)
D5 (“Jade”, “Time Trip Loving”, “Endless Rain”, “Art of Life”, “Longing (Unchained Melody)”, “Forever Love”, “Fire City”, “Kizutsukikowareteshimawanu You Ni”, “Daichi no Namida”, “Feel Your Love”, “Honto no Ai”, “Stop It”, “Koe to Yuke”, “Utsukushii Sora wo Kudasai”, “Samurai Japan”, “Rusty Eyes”, “Kanashimi no Hate”)
C♯5 (“Vanishing Love”, “Phantom of Guilt”, “Sadistic Desire”, “Alive”, “X”. “IV”, “Standing Sex”, “Orgasm”, “Rose of Pain”, “Time Trip Loving”, “Week End”, “Endless Rain”, “Easy Fight Rambling”, “Stab Me in the Back”, “Desperate Angel”, “Silent Jealousy”, “Miscast”, “White Poem I”, “Drain”, “Airport”, “Samurai Japan”, “Always”, “Nageki no Heart”, “Kuraku Natteru Baai Janai”)
C5 (“Jade”, “IV”, “Scarlet Love Song”, “Born To Be Free”, “Celebration”, “Break The Darkness”, “Voiceless Screaming”, “Scars”, “Rusty Nail”, “Crucify My Love”, “Tears”, “Longing (Unchained Melody”, “Kizutsukikowareteshimawanu You Ni”, “Say Goodbye to Yesterday”, “Hoshi yo Nemure”, “Utsukushii Sora wo Kudasai”, “Haru no Ibiki”, “Rusty Eyes”, “Get-up-and-go”, “Heart of the Back”, “Moonstone”)
B4 (“Phantom of Guilt”, “Standing Sex”, “Born to Be Free”, “Blue Blood”, “Art of Life”, “Dahlia”, “Tears”, “Fire City”, “Namida no Achira Ni”, “Feel Your Love”, “Toi Kuni He (I Believe in All of You)”, “Earth in the Dark (To the Blue Sky)” T-Earth Version, “Ushinatta Mono”, “Haruka Naru Jibun”, “Airport”, “Amaoto”, “Samurai Japan”, “Lady”, “Bless You”, “Chase of Times”, “Always”, “Intermission”, “Looming”, “Toki no Hate Ni”)

Significant low notes

E3 (“Honto no Ai”, “Stop It”, “Ushinatta Mono”, “Utsukushii Sora wo Kudasai”, “Airport”, "Nageki no Heart")
E♭3 (“Toki no Hate Ni”, “Phantom of Guilt”)
D3 (“Say Yes”, “Haru no Ibiki”)
C♯3 (“Toi Kuni He (I Believe in All of You)”, “Ushinatta Mono”)
C3 (“Amaoto”)
B2 (“Kanashimi no Hate”, “Rusty Eyes”, “Endless Rain”)
A2 (“Story of a Young Boy” Live, “Toi Kuni He (I Believe in All of You)”, “Nageki no Heart”)
G♯2 (“Toki no Hate Ni”, “Toi Kuni He (I Believe in All of You)”)

*Orange marks notes with questionable registers: absolutely no use figuring out these.
*Blue marks probable non-modal notes.
*Red marks extremely bad, unimpressive or unintentional notes.
*Italics mark non-sung notes.

http://therangeplace.forummotions.com/t ... shi-deyama
Innuendoes
I Want To Break Free

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 07:30:53 AM
I have always admired how Toshi sings his high notes.

Please, someone correct me if I am wrong, but Toshi hardly, if at all, sings falsetto to reach high notes. I always feel this makes his high notes sound a lot more clear, stable and more impressive.

Is this correct to say?

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 07:52:32 AM
I don't believe he sings in falsetto, either.  It doesn't sound like it to me.

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 10:09:07 AM
That's pretty interesting. Thanx for the info about Toshis voice range and stuff.  :)

While I'm away, read this line again...

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 10:12:05 AM
That is a rating given by another singer, I presume? All they do on that site is rate singer's voices.  They like him on there.  Good, too, I say!

Offline Ulquiorra4th

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: May 19, 2018, 02:07:13 PM
Didn't expect to see this on his instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/BicQdAfhOvU/?taken-by=toshl_officia

It's good to hear him doing more falsettos nowadays, I wish he would learn a less thin sounding falsetto though, and do them more like Robert Plant/Rob Halford does them. Aways felt he has the potential to be even better than them at those high notes.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 02:09:41 PM by Ulquiorra4th »

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 05:27:51 PM
I'm glad this thread was made. Toshi has a voice I envy in the most innocent way someone can envy something lol. I'm just so in awe of it! He has an amazing range but more than that, his ability to emote makes him amazing to listen to live. Yoshiki is definitely the reason I got into and stay into X Japan... But without Toshi... I really don't know. Would it be possible to be as into X as I am? Toshi's the pinnacle of live vocals to me. I know there are stronger vocals out there ala Celine Dion etc., but Toshi is a true performer and captivating to boot. There's so many lives where I've literally swung my fist and been like, "fuck yeah Toshi!" Idk any other singer I've been like that towards. I guess I like that he's always keeping us on our toes. Always surprising us. It's like there are no limits to him lol (whispers we are x)

We are not trying to keep the legacy—we are trying to move forward, so our sound is going to change. I’m ready to be criticized, for example by fans saying "you should rather be this style." I’m ready for it, I’m okay with any concept of criticism-Yoshiki

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 06:42:11 AM
I just love his voice so much, I can't stop listening to him sing, be it in Japanese or English, I don't care.  It's just beautiful except when he's yelling or whatever you want to call it and then it's exciting and fun.

I just can't get enough of hearing him and I am so pleased to find other musicians who appreciate and really like his singing and voice as well.  All the better, I'd say.   I hope he never stops.  There's a lot out there to keep one busy for weeks, listening, but I just can't bear the thought of him ever quitting.

Just think what he and X could have become had it not been for that damn HoH.

Teemeah

Reply #14 on: May 31, 2018, 07:29:36 AM

I think they would have disbanded a few years later anyways. Yoshiki himself mentioned in the docu that things started to become really heavy for them, pressure grew. Toshi was getting alienated either way, because of his low self-esteem and the pressure rising with a US debut looming over them. At the same time, hide was increasingly experimenting with his solo, and becoming more and more popular as a solo artist, also setting his eyes overseas. At that time, their US debut would have failed tremendously, no way that Americans in late 1990s would have welcomed a Japanese band at the top of any chart. If they disbanded for such reasons, they may have not reunited later. I think even if this sounds cruel, everything has a good reason. Toshi could rejoin because he woke up from a delusion. If they disbanded because he was disgruntled as a singer, he may have never returned to X. Just an opinion, don't bite me :)

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: May 31, 2018, 08:13:09 AM

I think they would have disbanded a few years later anyways. Yoshiki himself mentioned in the docu that things started to become really heavy for them, pressure grew. Toshi was getting alienated either way, because of his low self-esteem and the pressure rising with a US debut looming over them. At the same time, hide was increasingly experimenting with his solo, and becoming more and more popular as a solo artist, also setting his eyes overseas. At that time, their US debut would have failed tremendously, no way that Americans in late 1990s would have welcomed a Japanese band at the top of any chart. If they disbanded for such reasons, they may have not reunited later. I think even if this sounds cruel, everything has a good reason. Toshi could rejoin because he woke up from a delusion. If they disbanded because he was disgruntled as a singer, he may have never returned to X. Just an opinion, don't bite me :)

Naw, not gonna bite ya.   :P  You may be right.  I just remember how mad hide was at Toshi for leaving and how he accused Toshi of being the end of X which tells me hide didn't want X to end.

Yea there were other projects going on with various members but other bands have done that then come back together such as Queen for sure.  Freddie Mercury had a few CDs out without the rest of the band, for instance.  Barcellona for one and Mr Bad Guy, which I adore but other Queen fans hate or love.  Seems there is no in between on that CD. 

You're probably right that they wouldn't have stayed together all this time had Toshi not left but many of them are doing their side things right now plus playing together, too.  I guess we will never know what really would have happened but I'd like to think they would have stayed together and made a lot more great music that we have and never will hear because it wasn't created and never will be.  Ahhh well.   :)

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #16 on: May 31, 2018, 10:37:59 AM
Intresting thought! I would like to imagine them staying together, too.

But I gotta admit I had a similar idea like Teemeah. My first thought was: if not for HoH Toshi would have left, because of the gigantic pressure from all sides that he was getting at that time, especially from Yoshiki. ^^°

While I'm away, read this line again...