• XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Yoshiki at the Yokohama Arena in 2014

lakeisle · 5079

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
on: January 20, 2018, 11:46:05 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAfvE35haAg

I watched this clip. At first, it was just fun to find that Yoshiki’s words are difficult to understand even for Japanese, but the latter part of this video was really touching. More than 3 years have passed since then, and he didn’t release the album yet. But I think he was true while he was talking in this video.

(1:50~3:35)

Y : How was it? How was the first concert in a long time?
T : Umm, is it such a time? Time for just two of us? Time for best friends? (Yoshiki can’t hear well) How far is your ears?
Y : If I sit nearby you, I can’t hear the sound from over there. @#$@#% Can you hear it? You can’t hear it. 
T : I don’t understand what you are talking about at all. It would be better to speak in English.
Y : Long ago, at our meeting, we used to hold a member meeting, right? I talked a lot. And Hide said, “Yoshiki, I don’t understand what you’re talking about.” After I spoke for 5 minutes. (laugh)
My mom used to say “Please speak slowly” to me. (Toshl nods)

Well, 4 years have passed since the last concert(in Yokohama Arena). 4 years ago. From then, where did we go? We went to the US. (Toshl nods)

<< Yoshiki lists the cities X has visited in English>>

(5:00~6:40)
Y : That was our last show, and, finally, finally... (gives the microphone to Toshl)
T : Finally what?
Y : (laugh) You should shout “Finally we’re back in Japan!” (applause)
Y : One more time? Should I list the names of more than 10 countries again?
We last visited Bangkok in November and finally (hands over the microphone)
T : (shouting) We came back to Japan! (applause) and then, finally (hands over mike) (whispering) (Yoshiki doesn’t notice what Toshl says) and then, finally (whispering)
Y : Ah, ah, I see.
T : One more time! Undo what we did just now. Turn off the TV a while. Close the theater once. It is NG now. One more time! “We finally came back to Japan!” (applause) And after this, finally, (hands over the microphone)
Y : We will go to Madison Square Garden! (applause)

(Yoshiki goes to the piano)

(Audience shouts “Tokyo Dome”)

Y : Tokyo Dome? Tokyo Dome, but will they allow us? Because everyone is going to jump. (laugh) It’s me who let them jump. (laugh) but I’d love to perform at Tokyo Dome. (applause) Why don’t you do signing campaign? signing campaign for Tokyo Dome concert. If so, are you going to perform at Tokyo Dome, Toshl? It depends on the signature campaign. It depends on fans. (Toshl says something) What? Where to send signature? As expected, Toshl is realistc. Let me see. Send it to somewhere like Toshl’s facebook, Yoshiki’s facebook, Sugizo’s twitter, Pata’s house, (laugh) or the pub where Heath goes... (laugh) yes!

Well, indeed, X, X Japan has had so many things so far. at the moment, it’s like a dream to be here with Toshl, Pata, Heath, Sugizo and with you fans. Thank you so much. (applause)

At the time of Nissan Stadium 4 years ago, We, who have the wings named “X Japan” said that we will fly to the world. Because You always push us with your wind. (crying) Our wings are tattered and covered in scars... but we will continue to go forward as long as you are supporting us. (applause)

​Today, all of the staff of X Japan who made this concert reality, and American agent William Morris Endeavor, Udo who became the promoter this time, engineers and lighting technicians from the US and every staffs behind the stage, I really thank all of you. (bowing) I really appreciate your effort. (applause)

Above all, those who came here today, and those who are watching in the theaters through live viewing, and those who are watching in front of wowwow TV, thank you very much from the bottom of my heart. (bowing) Thank you. (applause)

We X, X Japan will leave for Madison Square Garden in the USA. Toshl, Pata, Heath, Sugizo, Hide, Taiji and me, we will make our way towards the world as X of 7 members. Please keep supporting us like now. (bow)

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
  • Bokuwa ongakuka, dentaku katateni。
    • View Profile
    • some kind of nerdness...
Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 11:51:05 AM

(...)

More than 3 years have passed since then, and he didn’t release the album yet. But I think he was true while he was talking in this video.

(...)

He said that back in 2010 too... or maybe earlier. and ever since then ;)

thanks for your great work  :)

positively unsure。

Teemeah

Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 08:17:35 PM
Thank you again for the translation :)

The pub where Heath goes? I want to know where that is!!

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 01:22:37 PM

The pub where Heath goes? I want to know where that is!!

Is Heath your bias?

Teemeah

Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 02:20:07 PM
The whole band is my bias, except for Pata (poor thing, but I don't really like alcoholists).

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 03:00:08 PM
Hmm, I love Pata.  Not fangirl type love or "real'' or lover's type love.  I just love him.  I think he's very cool, he's a Taoist and he loves cats.  He looks cool, to me.  In other words, I like the way he looks.  A Mr. Miyagi type look.  And he's a damn good blues guitarist.  I don't care for people being alcoholics but that's often an inherited type of addiction.  And maybe it can be dealt with but he has to want to do it.  But being a Taoist, he probably won't as he has probably accepted that it's the way he is.   Still, I like him MUCHO!

Sometimes our tears blinded the love
We lost out dreams along the way
But I never thought you'd trade your soul to the fates
Never thought you'd leave me alone

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 03:34:29 PM
But being a Taoist, he probably won't as he has probably accepted that it's the way he is.   Still, I like him MUCHO!

LEMONedMe,

Are you interested in East Asian culture? Such as Taoist, Noh masks, Hannya...?

The word "Hannya(般若)" contains the meaning of Buddhism. But if we follow the origin of the word, it is Sanskrit. "Hannya" in Japanese is "prajna" in Sanskrit. It's interesting.

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 03:40:26 PM
The whole band is my bias, except for Pata (poor thing, but I don't really like alcoholists).

Pata drinks a lot, but he never causes troubles due to alcohol.
Troublemakers were Yoshiki, Taiji, and Hide.

Teemeah

Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 03:50:59 PM
I don't mind the troublemaking. I don't like the smell of alcohol on alcoholics.

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 03:56:58 PM
But being a Taoist, he probably won't as he has probably accepted that it's the way he is.   Still, I like him MUCHO!

LEMONedMe,

Are you interested in East Asian culture? Such as Taoist, Noh masks, Hannya...?

The word "Hannya(般若)" contains the meaning of Buddhism. But if we follow the origin of the word, it is Sanskrit. "Hannya" in Japanese is "prajna" in Sanskrit. It's interesting.

Yes, I am! I have always been interested in Japanese culture. In jewelry, in particular, the mask of Hannya and also Okina because of the jewelry that I specialize in. I don't make these, BTW.  These are vintage from the 1950s. They used to command high dollar amounts at auctions. 

Okina is on the vintage jewelry which I specialize in and many people mistake pieces with Hannya for Okina.  They believe both are devils and while Hannya is more or less a devil (evil female spirit, I believe) Okina is not.

I will show you the jewelry so you and others can know what these masks are.   The creator of this jewelry also made pieces with Thai girls and African men.  Not just Japanese culture.  But that's how I got into the masks and their meanings and names.

Okina...

This one is often mistaken as being by the same manufacturer.  I am not sure who this is - if it's Hannya or not but it doesn't matter to me that much.  All I have to do is see a piece of jewelry with this mask and I know who made it and that it is not a Selro piece. LOL

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 04:00:36 PM
I don't mind the troublemaking. I don't like the smell of alcohol on alcoholics.

What about the smell of alcohol on people who aren't alcoholics? Hahaha! It's all good (not the scent of alcohol, maybe) but I was never aware of alcohol smelling different on an alcoholic vs someone who had just had a fee drinks.  I am just kidding with you.  But, really, can you tell the difference?

Teemeah

Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 09:44:47 PM
Yes I can. They have a very special and brutally disturbing scent. I grew up with an alcoholic father. It is ingrained in my nose. I smell it from miles away and it makes me throw up.

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 10:47:46 AM
Thank you so much for another great translation, lakeisle! It was pretty fun to read.  :D

The fundamental elements of any speech Yoshiki has ever given in his life:

> Awkwardly tucks hair away from face every 3 seconds
> Awkwardly rocks back and forth for reasons unknown
> Must mention the deceased members at least once
> "The new album will come out very soon, I promise"
> Screams akwardly
> Tries not to cry, cries a lot

Woah, I can haz admin colour.

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 04:02:53 PM
LEMONedMe,

Amazing! Are you a jeweller? The jewels are so gorgeous. What's the material? Ivory? Jade?

It's impressive that there is a Westerner who is interested in 4 character idioms and East Asian culture. A lot of 4 character idioms are influenced by Taoism, Buddhism and Confucianism.

I think 自業自得 is the most frequently quoted 4 character idiom by Japanese. It's influenced by Buddhism. 業 means Karma. I don't know how to translate in English, but roughly, it means "The present suffering is a Karma I have committed in the past".

When Yoshiki picked the card written "Album" in the New Year Yoshiki niconico live broadcast, other members said it's "Yoshiki's 自業自得". Because Yoshiki made Karma regarding X Japan's new album, he was supposed to pick the card written "Album".

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 04:34:17 PM
LEMONedMe,

Amazing! Are you a jeweller? The jewels are so gorgeous. What's the material? Ivory? Jade?

It's impressive that there is a Westerner who is interested in 4 character idioms and East Asian culture. A lot of 4 character idioms are influenced by Taoism, Buddhism and Confucianism.

I think 自業自得 is the most frequently quoted 4 character idiom by Japanese. It's influenced by Buddhism. 業 means Karma. I don't know how to translate in English, but roughly, it means "The present suffering is a Karma I have committed in the past".

When Yoshiki picked the card written "Album" in the New Year Yoshiki niconico live broadcast, other members said it's "Yoshiki's 自業自得". Because Yoshiki made Karma regarding X Japan's new album, he was supposed to pick the card written "Album".

Hi lakeisle  :)

No, I am not a jeweler nor do I make these.  These are vintage pieces.  They were made in a New York factory back between 1950 and 1958 or so.  I research this jewelry out of necessity, I guess you might say.   It's a long story but I am a jewelry dealer who had to find out just who made these pieces as there were others that were similar but different.  I went on a quest for about a year and now it's been nearly 20 years of research for this manufacturer.  I have a website with his jewelry on it as well as a Facebook page so that dealers and buyers, both, can identify the pieces they have and know who made them.

I learned about the 4 character idioms from hide in a video of him giving an interview.  Then I started looking for them.  When I found them or some of them, I realized that was just what I needed for my soul, you see? I need to reconnect with myself, not with others.  Well, that may sound odd as I am a people person but I need to be at peace with who I really am, not what others are or what others want me to be.  So I read some of these and immediately connected with them.  hide said his fans like him to use the 4 character idioms in his lyrics so he did for the fans. 

When I watch hide performing or especially acting up, being silly, etc, I see myself a lot.  I have always been wild and crazy and will do things that no one else will do.  Daring things, crazy and sometimes dangerous things and things that are very out of the ordinary as far as people around me.  I even have a hide wig.  LOL. That is ME, I am telling you.  I am 110% fascinated by him.

As far as the 4 character idioms, again, 自業自得... ahhhh yes,  we say Karma, here, a lot.  Karma will come back and get you to someone who has done wrong to others.  But, also as a good thing in Japan, apparently? I see what you are saying about Yoshiki picking the "album" card.  As his 自業自得 is to create the album.  Very cool!

And thank you very much for telling this to me! I really, REALLY appreciate it!

ETA: Sorry, I forgot.  The material that makes up the Noh masks is a plastic called thermoset or thermoplastic.  It's not jade or definitely not ivory. The decorative stones around the faces are made from various types and colors of glass.  And these faces in the upper bracelet and pieces that match them come in 5 or more colors.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 04:41:01 PM by LEMONedMe »

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: January 23, 2018, 04:45:59 PM
Yes I can. They have a very special and brutally disturbing scent. I grew up with an alcoholic father. It is ingrained in my nose. I smell it from miles away and it makes me throw up.

Teemeah, I am sorry.  I hope I am not opening up old wounds.  I do know what you mean about alcoholic relatives.   My dearest uncle was an alcoholic and also my God-father.  Also my sister-in-law and my ex husband's father.  It's no fun being around people when they are that bad and that drunk.  I also know what you mean about smells.  I do not ever recall smelling alcohol on someone that made me want to vomit except for maybe whiskey and that type.  I have to admit I used to drink quite a bit but never became an alcoholic.  But once, I drank some whiskey and I just kept drinking and drinking like I was drinking beer.  Very bad.  I could have died.  And it did make me vomit, I think.  I also got so sick from having to stay outside in the snow being sick from the whisky, that for years and years, afterwards, if someone even had a glass of it and were anywhere near me, I would start dry heaving and have to leave.  It was BAD! I have never had a drink of that again and never will, ever.  It was horrible.

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: January 24, 2018, 11:07:45 PM

I learned about the 4 character idioms from hide in a video of him giving an interview.  Then I started looking for them.  When I found them or some of them, I realized that was just what I needed for my soul, you see? I need to reconnect with myself, not with others.  Well, that may sound odd as I am a people person but I need to be at peace with who I really am, not what others are or what others want me to be.  So I read some of these and immediately connected with them.  hide said his fans like him to use the 4 character idioms in his lyrics so he did for the fans. 

Yes, I know what you mean by "soul" exactly. Even though I can't explain what I feel in English, but I have the same experience. It was "Tears" to me. When I first listened to the song, it touched my soul. It's a magical song I think. About Yoshiki, I admire him and hate him at the same time, but I love his songs 100%.

And as you said, Karma can make me happy and unhappy. If I have done a lot of good things in past life or past, I will be rewarded, and if I have done a lot of bad things, I will be suffered. But the character "業" is used only in the negative sense and also is "自業自得".

I haven't listened to HIDE's solo albums yet, but I'd like to listen to it soon. I'll count how many 4 character idioms are used in his songs.

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: January 25, 2018, 10:11:42 AM

Yes, I know what you mean by "soul" exactly. Even though I can't explain what I feel in English, but I have the same experience. It was "Tears" to me. When I first listened to the song, it touched my soul. It's a magical song I think. About Yoshiki, I admire him and hate him at the same time, but I love his songs 100%.

And as you said, Karma can make me happy and unhappy. If I have done a lot of good things in past life or past, I will be rewarded, and if I have done a lot of bad things, I will be suffered. But the character "業" is used only in the negative sense and also is "自業自得".

I haven't listened to HIDE's solo albums yet, but I'd like to listen to it soon. I'll count how many 4 character idioms are used in his songs.

Hi lakeisle,

Funny you should mention Tears.  I love that song very much and it was going over and over in my mind all day, yesterday and even the entire time I was asleep.  It's beautiful and peaceful and sometimes, I will put it on repeat, sit back, close my eyes and just sit here and it finally puts me to sleep due to being so peaceful.  LOL. That probably wouldn't make Toshi very happy to know his singing puts me to sleep sometimes but it's a compliment to him for having such a beautiful voice that he can relax me that way and put me at some kind of peace.

It has a special meaning to me, not quite the same as Yoshiki means the lyrics as I think the song is about his father.  But for me, it is about someone who is still living.  I don't think of that person every time I play or hear the song but if I just sit there and read the lyrics or listen to them, this person will come to my mind, always.  This will never be resolved, I am 99% sure.  It's sad in a way but that is life, I guess one could say.

Is this "自業自得" the word for bad karma, then? If so, what is the word for good karma? I am just curious.

This is the video that hide tells the interviewer about using the four character idioms if you want to see.  It also has English subtitles if that makes it easier for you.  https://youtu.be/iwQcY2i_ttQ

I know he sings mostly in Japanese but sometimes in English as well.  I have really not noticed anything that sounds like a 4 character idiom, so far.   I guess I need to translate everything or look up lyrics to all of his songs to see if I see any of them in there.  He said in that interview that his mother, I believe, and for sure his grandmother, used them at home and he picked it up from them to use the idioms in lyrics.  For whatever reason he did it I think it was very nice of him to include them in his lyrics if his fans had told him that they liked it.  I think he tried very hard to please his fans.

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: January 26, 2018, 06:43:05 AM

That probably wouldn't make Toshi very happy to know his singing puts me to sleep sometimes but it's a compliment to him for having such a beautiful voice that he can relax me that way and put me at some kind of peace.

It has a special meaning to me, not quite the same as Yoshiki means the lyrics as I think the song is about his father. 

Toshl will be happy to know that. He is interested in healing and relaxing. And when YOSHIKI released the song(1992), he didn't reveal his father's suicide yet. He first mentioned that in 1998 publicly, after HIDE's death. But the song made a big hit before his public mention. When I first heard the song, I didn't know about YOSHIKI and couldn't understand Japanese at all, but I fell in love with the song immediately.

And, you are right, "自業自得" is the word for bad karma. I didn't know English speakers also use the words "bad karma", and "good karma".

The equivalent words for good karma is "善業". "善" means "good" in Chinese. The opposite character of "善" is "惡". So you can use the words "惡業" for bad karma, but the character "業" itself has a negative meaning without "惡".

East Asia has been influenced by Buddhism historically. Even though we are not Buddhists, we make many Buddhist remarks unconsciously. If there is a person who was born from a rich parents, who has a beautiful appearance and succeeds whatever he/she does, we say he/she would have accumulated a lot of good karma in his/her previous life.  :)

Teemeah

Reply #19 on: January 26, 2018, 08:42:43 AM
This good karma - bad karma thing is really dubious though (and now we are totally off topic lol). What is Yoshiki, then? He suffers still to day, yet he is incredibly successful in anything he does, from music to business ventures, PLUS he is really beautiful :) Does he have a mixed karma, then?  ;)

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: January 26, 2018, 12:34:54 PM

That probably wouldn't make Toshi very happy to know his singing puts me to sleep sometimes but it's a compliment to him for having such a beautiful voice that he can relax me that way and put me at some kind of peace.

It has a special meaning to me, not quite the same as Yoshiki means the lyrics as I think the song is about his father. 

Toshl will be happy to know that. He is interested in healing and relaxing. And when YOSHIKI released the song(1992), he didn't reveal his father's suicide yet. He first mentioned that in 1998 publicly, after HIDE's death. But the song made a big hit before his public mention. When I first heard the song, I didn't know about YOSHIKI and couldn't understand Japanese at all, but I fell in love with the song immediately.

And, you are right, "自業自得" is the word for bad karma. I didn't know English speakers also use the words "bad karma", and "good karma".

The equivalent words for good karma is "善業". "善" means "good" in Chinese. The opposite character of "善" is "惡". So you can use the words "惡業" for bad karma, but the character "業" itself has a negative meaning without "惡".

East Asia has been influenced by Buddhism historically. Even though we are not Buddhists, we make many Buddhist remarks unconsciously. If there is a person who was born from a rich parents, who has a beautiful appearance and succeeds whatever he/she does, we say he/she would have accumulated a lot of good karma in his/her previous life.  :)
Thank you, again, lakeisle,

I still think the song was written about Yoshiki's father, although I don't believe there is any proof of that.  But the last lyrics and spoken words say that to me.

Dry your tears with love
If you could have told me everything
You would have found what love is
If you could have told me what was on your mind
I would have shown you the way
Someday I'm gonna be older than you
I've never thought beyond that time
I've never imagined the pictures of that life
For now I will try to live for you and for me
I will try to live with love, with dreams
And forever with tears

I wish I could tell Toshi how much I appreciate his voice.  It's just very beautiful and even though there are many singers who have wonderful voices, his does something to or for me that the other's don't.

As far as karma, I am still confused on the letters that are used for each word but we can go into that somewhere else on the board as it seems to have caused a bit of a stir.  LOL.  Teemeah!  :P  :-*  LOL.

And, here, in the USA, a lot of us say that - good or bad, quite often but I don't know that we REALLY believe it deep inside, of you understand? Oh I am sure some do.  I have 2 Buddhist friends, one whom I've known since I first started university, many years ago, so maybe I will ask him or his wife.   :)

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: January 28, 2018, 06:29:25 AM
This good karma - bad karma thing is really dubious though (and now we are totally off topic lol). What is Yoshiki, then? He suffers still to day, yet he is incredibly successful in anything he does, from music to business ventures, PLUS he is really beautiful :) Does he have a mixed karma, then?  ;)

Teemeah,

Haha, I don't think YOSHIKI is the typical case for mentioning "He would have accumulated a lot of good/bad karma in his previous life". He is absolutely talented, beautiful and successful. On the other hand, he is not physically healthy, has suffered many misfortunes and has a lot of haters. And I don't even think  he succeeded in everything. (Think about Violet UK album, US debut of X Japan albums, a lot of musicians he produced)

We mention "previous life" when we can't understand sth/sbd from a common-sense standpoint.
There are exceptionally few people who seem happy all the time. Someone who doesn't work hard but inherits a great legacy from his parents, marries a dream partner and succeeds whatever he does. Very exceptional, but there are such people. We can't understand the reason why he is always lucky and happy. We mention previous life in such cases.

Another usage of "previous life".  :) For example, there is a super attractive woman. She is loved by a lot of guys. Handsome guy, rich guy, intelligent guy, highly social status guy, and a lot of powerful guys want to marry her. But she gets married with a guy who is not rich, not handsome, not intelligent and not of highly social status. Then we can't understand the reason. We say, "Why? Why him? Did he save his country in his previous life?"

Haha... sorry, my English is not good enough to explain it. But I hope you understand what I mean.

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: January 28, 2018, 06:31:50 AM

And, here, in the USA, a lot of us say that - good or bad, quite often but I don't know that we REALLY believe it deep inside, of you understand? Oh I am sure some do.  I have 2 Buddhist friends, one whom I've known since I first started university, many years ago, so maybe I will ask him or his wife.   :)

Same in my country. Buddhism is tradition rather than religion/belief for most people. Moreover, It's too profound to understand. But there are some idioms and sayings related to Buddhism, and we sometimes quote those. I'm not a Buddhist but I enjoy going to temples.