• XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

10 best X-Japan songs according to Yoshiki

Astralmind · 9238

Offline friday

• Moderators
  • Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 01:36:05 AM
Natural marketing move to pump the "new songs" when promoting the soon to be released album.

I really quite enjoyed his comments about Drain! It is hard to believe ghe song was released in '96. Never thought in the late 00's that Drain would be one of the songs that doesn't sound 'dated' a few decades later.

MODERATOR'd!

Teemeah

Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 10:24:19 AM
Actually I agree with most of his choices, except for Angel and Kiss the Sky, because I haven't properly heard them yet apart from the acoustic set, and that's kind of a different vibe than what the final album versions will be. I would have definitely put Weekend on that list, and Rose of Pain.

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 02:40:04 PM
Natural marketing move to pump the "new songs" when promoting the soon to be released album.

This.

Also, Born To Be Free is his favourite song now? Really.

Woah, I can haz admin colour.

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 04:03:22 PM
I like his choices here and I totally understand why he would include some of the newer songs. It makes you curious, because we haven't heard some of them and he says the Album Version of La Venus is going to be very heavy? What's that supposed to mean? ... See it works just fine. Now I want to hear those songs....  ;D

While I'm away, read this line again...

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 04:12:41 PM
While a lot of these songs wouldn't appear on my favorite song list I'm not surprised he choose these songs and I believe that they are his favorite songs at the moment, otherwise he wouldn't write and record them. ;) Also curious about how 'heavy' La Venus will sound on the album and what Yoshikis definition of heavy is nowadays.

Offline Astralmind

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 06:57:19 PM
I agree with all the above comments, it is coherent that he enjoys his new stuff but doesn't it really highlight how much disconnect he's got with his past as an artist ? 3 out of 10 (ok 4 with Drain but ..really) are pre reunion, that's a bit weak :)

The shocker though is Born to be free = the best.. that was vomit inducing. He also insists on preferring a lot of the new songs because they are much easier to play.

Bright side, I really do like La Venus for some reasons

Teemeah

Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 08:05:19 PM
Can you blame him? He's not 20 anymore and with all of his back, neck and arm issues, sure thing he prefers the less heavy stuff to play After all, it's him who has to beat the drum for 3 hours, not you. :)

Offline denx

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 09:09:50 PM
10 mins kiss the sky

Ex denxdenx

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 11:08:21 PM
There is no "new" album

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 11:36:32 PM
This will give you a good idea of how "heavy" La Venus will be  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d8QgJ0pHSI This was from a live back in the summer I believe.

I'm also on the same page as axlroseX - my hopes of a "new" album are kind of shot. At this point, it'll be getting to hear a studio version of La Venus and Kiss the Sky. I think it's a little brash for him to say "it's going to be another masterpiece". Another masterpiece as compared to what? Art of Life? I think that's for the public/fan base to decide. Does a painter go and say, "This one will be the masterpiece." Being hard on him here but only because I know he's thinking this song is going to justify the lack of actual "new" songs on this album.

My final strand of hope is for re-recordings of whatever old songs they put on the album as English.

Teemeah, how old isn't Yoshiki again? I can't remember from the last 8 times you reminded us.

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 10:15:49 AM
I wouldn't blame it on his age or health issues. I think Yoshiki's DNA has always been that of a classical musician. In his 20s he went through some sort of mental puberty where he did metal, but he eventually went back to his thing. They haven't done actual metal since 1993. In Dahlia, the only legit metal parts were Hide's songs and his guitar work. The rest of it is symphonic rock.

I'm part of that hardcore group of fans who mostly enjoyed their early work, but I don't mind the later ballads either. Actually, I think they're the best ever made in the rock genre. I don't think the new album (if it ever comes out) will include a single metal or even remotely heavy track. Without Hide and Taiji, the dudes who could actually conceive and make a metal track work, I don't see Yoshiki working on one. He just doesn't have the skill for that - which is okay, he has the skill to do a lot of other awesome things with music.

Also, I don't even think Yoshiki himself decided what would go on that list. And I don't think he has a lot of free will to create as he pleases anymore. He wants to thrive in Amurrrika at all costs and he seems to have hired a very competent but very controlling PR/management/marketing team. I kind of get the feeling they're the ones who decide where he goes, what he does next, how often he posts on social media, how he should exploit the emotional liaison he has with his fans etc. He's probably briefed on what to say, he is their main marketing tool after all.

Teemeah

Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 01:12:53 PM
I don't think he relinquishes control to that degree, though. His personality is just not like that. He's not someone that can be controlled and told what to do and where to go. It's probably the other way around. His PR staff might be suffering a lot from his strong will, or they could be exploiting it / trying to make the best out of his mishaps and random decisions. Like how he was up and working right after the surgery, I doubt his PR team went to his bedside and told him, hey Yoshiki it would be awesome PR if you could get up and work 5 hours after surgery, what do you think? :D They were most probably like, uh the dude is at it again, let's see how we can market this move best. :)

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 02:03:35 PM
Maybe, he sure doesn't seem all that docile, does he. But seriously, marketing/PR guys can be total dicks. I do exactly that in my current PR job, even if I don't manage anyone as notorious as Yoshiki. Still, when it all depends on a figure with a cult following, our job is to literally use them and make them do as many things as we can during their waking hours. Our pay depends on the profit they generate, the company depends on their success to keep its good name. Public figures are of no use if they're sick in bed.

I work with this Youtube influencer who has anxiety and some sort of chronic pain thing. If they have interviews and public appearances booked for her, there's no way they're gonna cancel them, whatever happens. It's on contract. She sometimes calls in saying she's in pain, exhausted, panicking or whatever. Boss just doesn't care. They literally send the hair and make up people to her place to get her out of bed and ready because interviews and business oportunities around minor celebs are hard to get. Also, Flashback Friday to when I had to hold a trashcan in front of her face so she could puke while she was getting her nails done before a TV appearance. Never saw anyone's eyes scream please let me go home as loud as those. Disclaimer: it's a sucky, inhumane job and I don't like it, but work is work.

TL;DR: hope it's not the case, but I can totally see PR/marketing people convincing Yoshiki to get out of bed and into one of his cool outfits an hour after surgery so they can keep creating content for his social media.

Teemeah

Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 02:39:54 PM
I just don't see him as the type who would let this happen. It's much more likely he is simply a workaholic and loves attention. That camera crew following him 24/7 is probably his own idea, too. He has been filmed almost non-stop since the beginnings of X. I just cannot see him as a victim of cruel PR people nudging the sh*t out of him. He probably screams from the top of his lungs at them and fires those who he is displeased with.

Offline Faramir

• View Profile
Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 06:58:15 PM
When I first became a fan (2011?), I definitely preferred the ballads, but over time I've gravitated towards X's earlier work. My favorite album at this point is Vanishing Vision -- nothing else matches it in raw power. As for the new songs... I hate to say it, but Yoshiki's english lyrics and Toshi's engrish pronunciation really turn me off. Yoshiki's lyrics aren't bad per se, but he can't seem to break out of cliches (writing in a second language is hard work). Some of it is downright cringeworthy. I would probably prefer a lot of the newer songs (La Venus, Kiss the Sky) if only they were written in Japanese.

Wow, that came out a lot more critical than intended.

I think it would be fun if we responded to Yoshiki's list with our own top ten! Without further ado, here's a rough estimate of mine:
1. Sadistic Desire
2. Kurenai
3. Art of Life
4. Crucify my love
5. X
6. Weekend
7. Endless Rain
8. Orgasm
9. Vanishing Love
10. I'll Kill You

Teemeah

Reply #16 on: November 11, 2017, 07:37:36 PM
When I first became a fan (2011?), I definitely preferred the ballads, but over time I've gravitated towards X's earlier work. My favorite album at this point is Vanishing Vision -- nothing else matches it in raw power. As for the new songs... I hate to say it, but Yoshiki's english lyrics and Toshi's engrish pronunciation really turn me off. Yoshiki's lyrics aren't bad per se, but he can't seem to break out of cliches (writing in a second language is hard work). Some of it is downright cringeworthy. I would probably prefer a lot of the newer songs (La Venus, Kiss the Sky) if only they were written in Japanese.

Wow, that came out a lot more critical than intended.

I think it would be fun if we responded to Yoshiki's list with our own top ten! Without further ado, here's a rough estimate of mine:
1. Sadistic Desire
2. Kurenai
3. Art of Life
4. Crucify my love
5. X
6. Weekend
7. Endless Rain
8. Orgasm
9. Vanishing Love
10. I'll Kill You

hate to break it to you but some of your favourite songs are also in English, fully or partially, and were sung by the some Toshi with the same cringeworthy Engrish proninciation :)

Offline Faramir

• View Profile
Reply #17 on: November 11, 2017, 10:31:55 PM
hate to break it to you but some of your favourite songs are also in English, fully or partially, and were sung by the some Toshi with the same cringeworthy Engrish proninciation :)

You're not wrong -- X has produced some very amazing songs with full or partial English lyrics (just not recently ;)). IMO, it makes a difference that Toshi's voice was much stronger when recording their older songs. His engrish grates on me less in the 90s-era songs than the current ones. What's your top ten? 

Offline Kurenai_Akari

• Fan
  • Toshimitsu Deyama fan
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter profile
Reply #18 on: November 13, 2017, 02:40:14 AM
Ehhh. The list is ok, but without a good point of reference to the ones that I've never listened to before, I can't really comment on it.

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 03:39:01 AM
My list would be this and not in this order.   Not sure which of all of them would be #1 but I do tend to lean towards the ballads but love the harder metal songs as well.  This is difficult to put them in order of best and on down so I'm just putting them in a list and it is what it is.  Hmm, but Scars is a huge favorite as well as Art Of Life.  The violin solo at the beginning of Dahlia drives me wild. So beautiful.

La Venus
Without You
Art Of Life
Dahlia
Silent Jealousy
Jade
Rose of Pain
Rusty Nail
Scars
Sadistic Desire

Sometimes our tears blinded the love
We lost out dreams along the way
But I never thought you'd trade your soul to the fates
Never thought you'd leave me alone

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: November 13, 2017, 09:57:30 AM
Am I the onry one here who roves Toshi's Engrish? I don't undestand half of their English lines. And I don't understand Jap either. Doesn't matter, really. X's music gives me the feels anyway, they don't even need to fill in the gaps with understandable language. In other words, if your audience doesn't even need to understand your vocalist to get the feels, you're doing it damn right. On to my top 10 (now learn from me, Papa Yosh):

1. Kurenai - first X song I ever listened to. And it was the Last Live version on YT. The feels man, the feels.
2. Art of Life - undisputably a masterpiece. The English sucks and who cares. This one totally comes from outer space.
3. Alive - the English sucks even more. And I fucking love every part of it.
4. X - it's like taking a shitload of ecstasy, minus the nasty side effects.
5. Easy Fight Rambling - it's a weird one and I love weird
6. Standing Sex - have no idea what it is about to this day but it's about sex. what could go wrong.
7. Joker - also have no clue what it's about but well, Hide wrote this one, it could only be weird and awesome
8. Scars - that tempo is SEX
9. Rose of Pain - because that guitar bro
10. The Last Song - the Yoshiki-est song ever made, really. I always thought this was his most honest song, the one where you can get a glimpse of the kind of artist he is. And it's fucking beautiful.

Teemeah

Reply #21 on: November 13, 2017, 10:05:38 AM
and and Orgasm? the 15 minute live version with the awesome guitar parts and Heath kneeling like a sexy god? I usually watch it on the treadmill, it hypes me up like nothing else for workout LOL. :D

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: November 13, 2017, 10:18:35 AM
We need more than 10 choices.  LOL!!!  :P

Offline Kurenai_Akari

• Fan
  • Toshimitsu Deyama fan
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter profile
Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 05:35:25 AM
Am I the onry one here who roves Toshi's Engrish?

Nope. ToshI's Engrish is rather cute in the early days & was somewhat understandable too (huge plus for me).

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: November 14, 2017, 06:30:07 AM
They're all cute when they speak English or sing it.  Have you all heard this? Hehehehe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da7rmCccn24

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: November 14, 2017, 09:28:33 AM
Ooooh, yeah I remember the Rard Ruck Roman cover, how could I not?  ;D

I don't mind the Engrish really, it took me years to realize Alive was entirely in English and I still don't get the lyrics but it's still one hell of an awesome piece. Toshi is fairly understandable, though, I think he knew what the words he was singing meant and how English grammar works. There's footage of Hide singing Ziggy Stardust and Light My Fire on YT and now that's funny Engrish!

Teemeah

Reply #26 on: November 14, 2017, 09:34:13 AM
They're all cute when they speak English or sing it.  Have you all heard this? Hehehehe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da7rmCccn24

Byebye sollow :D awww. This was so cuuute :D

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: November 14, 2017, 11:14:16 AM
Hahaha, I am listening to that Light My Fire cover right now.  While I wouldn't say I can or could sing it but I do a better job on keyboard than whomever is playing it in that video. LOL.  Ray Manzarek was one of my favorite keyboard players, other than Leon Russell, of course.  I imitated a lot of Ray's playing when I used to play and had a piano and also covered that whole song on flute.  No singing, though. LOL

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: November 14, 2017, 01:50:22 PM
In Hide's defense, his voice is pretty good on that note. Looks like he actually had a great range.  Guitar is pretty nice as well. But yeah, my two year old nephew does a better job at pronouncing words.

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: November 14, 2017, 02:13:29 PM
matsumoto, if you are referring to Hard Luck Woman, I LOVE their cover of it.  Seriously!  ;D