News:

• Welcome to the X FREAKS forum!
    Please read the rules :)
  • Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Tokyo2020: Yoshiki interviews Nobel Prize winner Yamanaka

Guest · 2693

Teemeah

As a prelude to the Tokyo Olympics, Yoshiki was selected in a "One Team Project" to talk to Shinya Yamanaka, a Nobel Prize winner stem cell scientist. The video has English subs:

https://youtu.be/oA8JH91srE8

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 10:30:27 AM
Surprisingly, Yoshiki does better at interviewing that being interviewed. Look at him being all serious and stuff.  8) And he's so much more interesting when he speaks in his native Japanese.

Woah, I can haz admin colour.

Teemeah

Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 12:17:36 PM
and he appears to be more masculine when he speaks Japanese. Somehow he softens his speech when he talks in English. It's interesting how switching languages twists your personality a little. I actually experience this myself, I speak in a totally different tone in English than in Hungarian, and completely different in Turkish and Korean too. It's like you start incorporating elements of that culture in your speech.

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 01:29:57 PM
COMPLETELY AGREE. There's studies on that, I remember reading them in college. When you speak in a different language you subconsciously display personality features that you somehow associate with that culture. Reason why a lot of people sound "cooler" and more relaxed in English -they integrate elements from American culture seen in US films and tv shows.

In short: Yoshiki associates the English language with something like kittens and serviable geishas.  ;D

Teemeah

Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 02:03:19 PM

In short: Yoshiki associates the English language with something like kittens and serviable geishas.  ;D

:D ahahahha probably. Or he just needs more time to formulate what he wants to say, and this way it doesn't seem like he is struggling. He speaks slower and softer in English, while in japanese he often rushes, I think he even mentioned that his mother told him to slow down on broadcast because he was becoming unintelligible sometimes. LOL :)

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 01:47:02 PM
It is certain that Yoshiki speaks very fast when he speaks in Japanese. But I don't think that he becomes musculine when he speaks in Japanese. At times, Yoshiki's Japanese is incredibly feminine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce6mZQ6SKGs

(around 2:00~)

In the video, his voice and the way of speaking is extremely feminine. I think Yoshiki's speech becomes vulgar when he is with X members or other rock musicians. But sometimes, his speech in Japanese is very tender and effeminate. I think it depends on the situation and the counterpart he is with.

Teemeah

Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 02:19:03 PM
To me, as an outsider of Japanese culture with no experience of what Japanese people consider feminine, this clip you linked does not sound feminine at all :)

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 03:30:03 PM
Oh, really? Unbelievable! Cause we said, "Yoshiki talks like a well-educated princess in this video!" something like that in the Korean online fan community.

Sometimes Yoshiki becomes so shy when he speaks in Japanese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBrv3wzeRp0

When he talked with Kudo Shizka(his ex-girlfriend), he giggled a lot, and was really shy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySXsRByC34A

And when he talks with Komuro Tetsuya, he is shy. Komuro repeatedly says, "Yoshiki, why are you so shy today?"

But he becomes very tough when he is with other members or Kouhai musicians.

It's interesting. He seems to have several egos.

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 11:01:28 AM
I've seen him in person three times (but from far away in the audience, don't be jealous) and I always get the shy vibe from him.
He certainly interacts with a ton of people everyday, but maybe not in a laid-back, small talk kind of way like the rest of us mortals.
He's quite articulate if you ask him one of those questions he's prepared to answer (eg. When is the new album coming out? Duh, soon!) but seems to get very worked up if people ask him something unexpected. Probably a combination of not being an expert at small talk and being kind of afraid he might not understand the asker's English or not being able to formulate his answer in understandable English.
He has a really sweet sense of humor, though, if you get past the thick accent.

Teemeah

Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 01:22:48 PM
He definitely gives the shy vibe in person. Quietand reserved but very polite and kind. I guess he is harsher with employees and when he is pissed like when things don't go his way in the studio ans he curses at the engineer lol. In that video you can also hear him speak fast and stutter a little. I think when he is able to think about the anseer, he is coherent and slow in English and when he doesn't know what to answer, his English breaks down. During my intetview, too, when I asked him unexpected things, he was less coherent in English.

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 02:55:18 PM
His answers to fan questions also sound like a script he memorized. It's funny that if somebody asks him something slighly different, he manages to twist it and adapt it the Yoshiki way.  8)

Example.
Fan: If you were a worm, how long would you be?
Yoshiki: Eughh, long, I don't know, maybe. I really like my fans. Thanks for inviting me here. I miss my deceased band members a lot. *drops a tear*
Fan: Wow, this guy is really deep.

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 03:59:49 PM
His answers to fan questions also sound like a script he memorized. It's funny that if somebody asks him something slighly different, he manages to twist it and adapt it the Yoshiki way.  8)

Example.
Yoshiki: Eughh, long, I don't know, maybe. I really like my fans. Thanks for inviting me here. I miss my deceased band members a lot. *drops a tear*

Like he always find a way to say "I started playing piano at four...".

Yoshiki makes himself a meme sometimes.

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 04:07:32 PM

Like he always find a way to say "I started playing piano at four...".

Yoshiki makes himself a meme sometimes.

Hahahahaha!!!! True!!!

Whenever I see him, I feel he was born to be a celebrity. Otherwise, he can't repeat the same answers hundreds of times.

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 04:17:59 PM

It's hilarious.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Definitely, when he is asked about unexpected or uncomprehending questions, he seems to answer irrelevantly instead of asking "What do you mean? I don't understand". Then the flow of interview changes. He is very smart.

BTW, is he shy when he speaks in English? I didn't notice it. The interviews I've listened to (not in person, only from DVDs or online videos) sounds like he has only stereotype answers in English. I thought he shows his emotion less in English. But I don't know because I've never seen him in person.

I'd like to see him closely like you guys. It's great that Teemeah interviewed him.