If Yoshiki can't play drums...

friday · 8905

Offline friday

• Moderators
  • Fan
    • View Profile
on: June 30, 2017, 03:51:47 AM
Let's say worst case scenario and Yoshiki can't play drums anymore

Do you think they'd be the possibility of him running around (or limping around) with a guitar for the songs he doesn't play piano on, ala Extasy/hide memorial summits? He does have a signature guitar, or can use one of the hide love heart ones...

Which could then lead to Shinya filling in on drums?! He's already played with Toshi in the brainwashing days, and he played drums at the hide memorial summit for X!!!!

Just a bit of speculative banter... ;)

MODERATOR'd!

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 07:35:12 AM
I have also wondered this. Not so much who would replace Yoshiki, but if he would allow X to continue into the future with another permanent drummer...

Teemeah

Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 08:04:31 AM
I wouldn't be able to imagine X without Yoshiki on the drums. It would be just so wrong. Playing a few songs at a festival once a year is different from having another drummer permanently. Either X would be over or they would go acoustic from then on, with fewer concerts. But more likely, he would stop doing X and maybe go for classical compositions only.

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 08:06:50 AM
Can't see Yoshiki letting X continue without him on drums. I wouldn't have a problem with i.e. Shinya filling in the spot on a permanent basis, but I just don't think Yoshiki would allow that to happen.

Teemeah

Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 08:16:10 AM
Yeah, let's hope he recovers... But eventually, X disbandment will happen, they are not young anymore and with Pata's and Yoshiki's health issues, something will hit us eventually. (I'm not negative, just being realistic) I do hope they can go on for a few more years at least and maybe release one last album. Unless a miracle happens, Yoshiki's ability to drum will continue to deteriorate, no matter how many times he will get surgery.  :'(

Offline magucathy

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 08:48:17 PM
I am also wondering the same thing....
I can't imagine Shinya as a permanent member of X. I don't think Yoshiki will let anyone replace him.
Just hope he will get well enough to play drum again.

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 11:02:30 AM
Nope. Him and Toshi will change roles. Yoshiki is the new (old) lead vocalist and Toshi is on the drums.  ;D ;D ;D

Haha... No that was a joke. I have no idea what will happen in that case... :-\

While I'm away, read this line again...

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
  • Bokuwa ongakuka, dentaku katateni。
    • View Profile
    • some kind of nerdness...
Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 11:12:54 AM
Okay..

I don't know what will be happen, but Yoshiki isn't a great drummer. He is good. And he is a very good composer and such. He is an okay-ish drummer. Much better then Lars from Metallica, but... He is not bad, but not great..

It could be interesting if they have a new drummer. Also they can play more live because Yoshiki can concentrate on a single instrument. Oh, and Orgasm. ^^

It could or would be interesting. Maybe X could gain in technical skills if there is another drummer...

positively unsure。

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 04:13:44 PM
I don't think Yoshiki will ever accept another drummer in his beloved band...

...When the morning begins
I'll be in the next chapter...

Teemeah

Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 04:36:00 PM
He will never accept a subtitute drummer. And seriously, this "Yoshiki is not a great drummer" bashing needs to stop. I showed his drumming to a prominent Hungarian drummer, a friend of mine, who has never seen X before, and told him what people say about Yoshiki's drumming on this forum, he was of the opinion that he is "a pretty good drummer". And I wasn't showing his drum solos, but his regular drumming in several songs.

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 07:27:34 PM
And seriously, this "Yoshiki is not a great drummer" bashing needs to stop.

Oh Teemeah i've been waiting for your bullshit. What the fuck is wrong with you? It's not bashing, it's fact and my opinion. Take it or leave it.

Gtfo or let people have their opinions.

Besides that, I'm also a classical trained drummer and started about 20 years ago. Maybe I can recognise an awesome drummer and a guy that is quite okay but not that good. Okay?

positively unsure。

Offline Aries

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • X Truth
Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 05:04:47 PM
I have also wondered this. Not so much who would replace Yoshiki, but if he would allow X to continue into the future with another permanent drummer...
No fucking way. He will play or he will die. And it seems he didn't listen to fans and his doctors to slow down.

Offline Kurenai_Akari

• Fan
  • Toshimitsu Deyama fan
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter profile
Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 09:53:10 AM
Deep down, I would like to see X Japan continue without Yoshiki (at least for a little while longer to at least see them again one last time). I'll have the opposing opinion & say that Shinya from Dir en grey would be a fine ADDITION (as in adding to the band, NOT replacing Yoshiki or anybody) to the band or even as a session/tour drummer. I've said this once & I'll say it again, I feel that Shinya can keep up with Yoshiki's drumming style & would be fine as a temp.

But lets be real here, session players for things such as this, it's kinda like putting a band-aid over a gunshot wound. If it comes down to it & if Yoshiki can't play drums or do anything anymore, then it would be best to dissolve the band permanently. Like, no BS, make your peace, shut it down & call it a day.

I can you imagine though, living with the thought that you could've done more with your time. The guilt of letting your legions of fans down because of something you couldn't quite control. This is a scary thought. . . I wouldn't be surprised if Yoshiki or ToshI fell into another deep depression if this were to happen. Hell, I'm getting upset just for thinking of the potential impact this could have on him & the rest of the band. Empathy sucks sometimes, my god.

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 11:31:37 AM
I agree with what was said above. Yoshiki would never let anyone else play drums in his band. Imagine the Stones replacing Richards or Jagger - it would no longer be the Stones. On one hand, I don't know if I'd enjoy X with another drummer. I have no idea if Yoshiki is a good or bad drummer because I know very little about music. But he's very fun to watch, with all his drama and his I-wanna-die-on-this-stage bullshit. Not sure if their lives would be that fun with another guy.

On the other hand, I'd be surprised if he could play drums ever again. I saw him in Paris in July and he looked like he was in pretty bad shape. My pops had to undergo the same frontal-incision surgery after 40 years in the military carrying heavy guns, he was in less pain, but he could never run or work out again. I mean, technically he could, but he would be a wreck afterwards and there was a risk he had to go through another surgery to put the stuff back into place. Spine problems are no bullshit. You lose sensation in random body parts, the rest of it hurts and you pretty much feel like a broken robot most of the time. Yoshiki is 50-something, he can very much handle quitting the drums and focusing on piano/classical stuff. As for the depression? You know what, get over it. Go back to playing the trumpet, whatever.

Woah, I can haz admin colour.

Offline Kurenai_Akari

• Fan
  • Toshimitsu Deyama fan
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter profile
Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 12:04:08 PM
On the other hand, I'd be surprised if he could play drums ever again. I saw him in Paris in July and he looked like he was in pretty bad shape.

[snipped for length]

Yoshiki is 50-something, he can very much handle quitting the drums and focusing on piano/classical stuff.

I gotta say, yeah, Yoshiki does still have quite the career outside of drumming for X Japan, but since he's just throwing caution to the wind & ignoring the advice of his Doctor's like a fucking idiot (Hello, Icarus flying toward the sun, much?), I've begun to doubt that he'll have anything left. I'm seriously doubting that he's made any sort of leeway on his recovery to be honest. *sigh*

As for the depression? You know what, get over it. Go back to playing the trumpet, whatever.

Yeesh, that's cold. I'm giving you a red card that one, got damn.

Offline Aries

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • X Truth
Reply #15 on: August 07, 2017, 12:27:22 PM
Well I guess we all share the same oppinion here - Yoshiki will refuse to quit and definitely refuse someone else replace him. There are two possibilities - he keep going and god help me, let him not starts with drugs and other shits to keep him in condition to be able to do his job, or he will actually wait and heal, if that is possible.

And please, stop with that tiny size, I've got headache!  :-[

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 04:07:22 PM
Well I guess we all share the same oppinion here - Yoshiki will refuse to quit and definitely refuse someone else replace him.

Yeah, guess we can agree on that. But I think it is interessting to speculate which drummer would be a suitable choice for a replacement. Shinya is an obvious choice, but maybe someone with a total differenct background (culturewise and/or musicalwise) could also work pretty good ... or not at all lol

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: August 08, 2017, 10:39:18 AM
I don't know Shinya but I just googled him. Looks like he likes to dress up as Audrey Hepburn. Might be Yoshiki 2.0.

Otherwise, I wouldn't be against a non-jrock drummer. This will sound weird, but if I were them I would have hired a drummer instead of Sugizo. Yoshiki himself is actually a pretty good guitarist, so it seems. They could have a new drummer do the hard work and have Yoshiki step behind the drums only occasionally, for his drum solos or drum trashing or something.

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: August 08, 2017, 11:06:07 AM
Yoshiki himself is actually a pretty good guitarist, so it seems. They could have a new drummer do the hard work and have Yoshiki step behind the drums only occasionally, for his drum solos or drum trashing or something.

Yoshiki is AWFUL playing guitar. He can't do more than some power chords, and badly. There are a lot of videos on Youtube where you can see he poses more than plays.

BTW, there is absolutely no way Yoshiki put someone else to play drums on X. X IS Yoshiki. If he needs to stop, he will stop and X will also stop.

Offline Kurenai_Akari

• Fan
  • Toshimitsu Deyama fan
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter profile
Reply #19 on: August 08, 2017, 11:33:27 AM
Well I guess we all share the same oppinion here - Yoshiki will refuse to quit and definitely refuse someone else replace him.

And please, stop with that tiny size, I've got headache!  :-[

Well, not quite. I'm not against the idea of X Japan having another drummer, but possibility of it being a thing is next to none.

And no to the last part since what I say in the tiny parts are just commentary on my end & don't quite emphasize the topic. Sorry, hehehehehe

I don't know Shinya but I just googled him. Looks like he likes to dress up as Audrey Hepburn. Might be Yoshiki 2.0. 

Be nice to Shinya, lol. What he lacks in manliness, he makes up for is drumming in my opinion.

Otherwise, I wouldn't be against a non-jrock drummer. This will sound weird, but if I were them I would have hired a drummer instead of Sugizo. Yoshiki himself is actually a pretty good guitarist, so it seems. They could have a new drummer do the hard work and have Yoshiki step behind the drums only occasionally, for his drum solos or drum trashing or something.

Why a non J-rock drummer though? Is there a specific reason or person in mind who'd you think would fit?

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: August 08, 2017, 01:30:36 PM
@Joker, really? I have zero knowledge of guitar. I can tell when it's really awesome but I can't really evaluate skill level. I had assumed Yoshiki was good at guitar because of what he said at a fan meeting in Paris last month. Somebody asked him if he could play guitar since he posed with guitars so often. He said he had been the one to play all the guitar tracks in X Japan's lastest songs (presumably because only he would know what exactly he wants it to sound like). The person asked him about his guitar skills and he said that he wasn't a pro but that knowing piano basically means you can play any instrument. In my head that meant "I'm actually really good at it".  8)

@Kurenai, nothing against Shinya being a princess, haha. His feminine style is cool, reminds me of the early days of X. I like my rockstars weird!

By a non-jrock drummer I mean some Lars Ulrich dude. If the replacement drummer midly resembles Yoshiki, people won't like it. If he picks a dude that's completely different from him, it might work. He'll be like a guest member for lives, like the Limp Bizkit dude was during the 2008 reunion, why not.

Teemeah

Reply #21 on: August 08, 2017, 02:07:45 PM
Yoshiki would rather die behind his drumkit than give it up to someone. I think he would be even willing to go acoustic for the rest of his career than give the drumkit to some random dude.

Offline Aries

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • X Truth
Reply #22 on: August 08, 2017, 03:15:48 PM

And you think he will not bang his head as a guitarist too?

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: August 08, 2017, 04:17:39 PM
I don't know. Do guitarists bang their heads?

Offline Aries

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • X Truth
Reply #24 on: August 08, 2017, 05:11:35 PM
Well I don't know.

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: August 08, 2017, 06:05:28 PM
1. Yoshiki has brought up handing the drum-reigns to someone else on Twitter. He said that no matter what, X Japan will not stop. If he can no longer play drums it IS an idea of his to find a replacement.

2. Yoshiki CAN play guitar really well. He can solo and do scales and all that jazz. But he is NOT a fluid performer. He needs to sit down in order to play it non-beginner like. It's like he's too familiar with being stationary on piano and drums. Moving about is too alien to him so he keeps it simple.

When he says he isn't that good he's telling the truth. But he's also telling the truth about being able to play it, and probably decently.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=osuWCk5DOO0

Obviously that's not excellent but it shows his understanding of the instrument. He could definitely record guitar parts given he has the time to sit down and work out the things he wants but performance seems to be out of the question.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 06:07:18 PM by returner »

We are not trying to keep the legacy—we are trying to move forward, so our sound is going to change. I’m ready to be criticized, for example by fans saying "you should rather be this style." I’m ready for it, I’m okay with any concept of criticism-Yoshiki

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: August 08, 2017, 10:44:10 PM
Thank you returner  :)

positively unsure。

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: August 09, 2017, 02:22:03 AM
Thank you returner  :)

You're welcome!

We are not trying to keep the legacy—we are trying to move forward, so our sound is going to change. I’m ready to be criticized, for example by fans saying "you should rather be this style." I’m ready for it, I’m okay with any concept of criticism-Yoshiki

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: August 17, 2017, 12:52:38 AM
@Joker, really? I have zero knowledge of guitar. I can tell when it's really awesome but I can't really evaluate skill level. I had assumed Yoshiki was good at guitar because of what he said at a fan meeting in Paris last month. Somebody asked him if he could play guitar since he posed with guitars so often. He said he had been the one to play all the guitar tracks in X Japan's lastest songs (presumably because only he would know what exactly he wants it to sound like). The person asked him about his guitar skills and he said that he wasn't a pro but that knowing piano basically means you can play any instrument. In my head that meant "I'm actually really good at it".  8)

He may play guitar on the recordings for the new tracks, as the guitar lines of the new songs are REALLY simple. Any teen learning to play guitar can play La Venus.

When I think about Yoshiki playing guitar, I only remember those performances:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-x0massn3M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Camn4USwyis

Keep a look during X solo. He is COMPLETELY lost.

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: August 17, 2017, 01:05:38 AM
The whole idea of Yoshiki having someone else play the drums and still call it X Japan is ludicrous to me. If it reached that point, I truly think he should disband and reform as a new name with whoever needs to be involved. He's spent the past 10 years making a mockery of the band, let's not mess things up even more. Yoshiki can't play guitar in the band and he certainly can't sing so it's piano/drums or nothing. It was a miracle that Sugizo fit hide's role so well (as well as anyone could considering hide was just the definition of unique). Even Heath isn't someone I can picture being replaceable at this point. When you're part of a band for that amount of time, it takes almost as much time to pass to be replaced without it feeling awkward and wrong, just like 10 years passed after hide died and Sugizo joined.

I'm guessing he'll recover and that all of his tweets are just his usual drama to rouse the nurse-hello-kitty-fuck-me fans. :D