Author Topic: Hello from Hungary  (Read 711 times)

Teemeah

• Fan
  • Endless rain, fall on my heart, kokoro no kizu ni
    • View Profile
    • My Hungarian blog about Asian culture
Hello from Hungary
« on: April 06, 2017, 09:27:35 PM »
Hi everyone! Completely new to the fandom,  I just discovered X Japan, but I'm so glad I did.  :D

I'm the type who loves to read up on band history, get to know the members from TV shows, and I'm having so much fun watching old videos on YT (though finding subbed versions is tough). As I look around the forum, I noticed that there is abundant criticism of Yoshiki here, and I will try my best to read as much as I can, to understand the reasons, because immediately liked him from the start, without even knowing anything about the band. Instinctive bias? Who knows :) 

I'm just sad that I became a fan shortly after the Wembley concert, because damn I missed it :D I hope they will come back to Europe soon. :)
X-ed pretty hard on first listen. My first Japanese band and second Japanese music love after Miyavi.

magucathy

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Hungary
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 07:54:04 PM »
Welcome!  :D

It's good to know that X is getting new fans every day!
The Wembley concert was really great, sorry that you have missed it. But, with the new album #near the corner# and the coming #world tour# starting in Japan, your chance to see them will be quite high.
r
So, have you listed to every song and album from X? Which are your favourite songs?

nb

• Sunday Listener
  • Bokuwa ongakuka, dentaku katateni。
    • View Profile
    • some kind of nerdness...
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 04:34:24 PM »
Hi there,

nice to have you around.

Yes, we are sometimes a little harsh about Yoshiki. But we are aware X would not happened without him.
I don't want to tell you everything about and why we are upset about Yoshiki. Just love him - I don't want to ruin it ;)
Maybe later you understand our point.

But it's not real hate or something. It's difficult to explain. ^.^

positively unsure。

Hyunkel

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 04:30:02 PM »
It's because we love the band (and Yoshiki who's part of the band) that we (well some of us, including myself) criticize them (and particularly Yoshiki who's the mastermind behind everything if I may say so).

Anyway, welcome here :)
..Close your eyes and I'll kill you in the rain...

...Art of Life An Eternal Bleeding Heart...

Teemeah

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 06:54:21 PM »

So, have you listed to every song and album from X? Which are your favourite songs?

Thank you for the warm words :) I am still going through the complete discography but I listened to most songs available on Spotify, and whatever I could find on Youtube - I'm LOVING the live shows. So much energy!! My favourite song is Endless Rain (I'm a sucker for emotional ballads...), but I also love Kurenai, Crucify My Love, Born to be Free, Without You, Tears and Unfinished. :)
X-ed pretty hard on first listen. My first Japanese band and second Japanese music love after Miyavi.

Teemeah

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 07:00:58 PM »
Hi there,

nice to have you around.

Yes, we are sometimes a little harsh about Yoshiki. But we are aware X would not happened without him.
I don't want to tell you everything about and why we are upset about Yoshiki. Just love him - I don't want to ruin it ;)
Maybe later you understand our point.

But it's not real hate or something. It's difficult to explain. ^.^

Oh it's OK, I' curious, and I'm not a blind fangirl type (also not a teen anymore ;) ). Criticism is needed, an if it is justifiable criticism, i'm more than open to it. It helps me to understand the dynamics in the band, and their history better. From what I have seen so far, I am fully aware that he is sort of building a myth around himself, and that he is probably of a narcist nature (which most famous musicians are, anyways). I'm not blind ;) I just like really like his demenour, the way he holds himself, and of course the songs he composes. (and ah, well, he's sexy af, but that's just my personal taste anyways :D ) In short, I am not going to get upset to hear about bad qualities or unfair decisions he's made.

Teemeah

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 07:02:54 PM »
It's because we love the band (and Yoshiki who's part of the band) that we (well some of us, including myself) criticize them (and particularly Yoshiki who's the mastermind behind everything if I may say so).

Anyway, welcome here :)

Thank you for the welcome :)

Kasumi

• Sunday Listener
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 04:25:27 PM »
I'm late, but welcome to the fandom. :D Hopefully you will have lots of fun with the band. They're quite unique.
While I'm away, read this line again...

Teemeah

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 12:54:37 PM »
Thank you ^^

Fluffy

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 10:03:01 PM »
Hi Teemeah!

Im a fairly new fan too but enjoying discovering lots of stuff on you tube. I always like hearing people's opinions and getting to know their favourite songs and why they like them.
I feel like I've opened a little treasure chest with my x japan discovery now. I think the fun of being a new fan is having lots of things to find. I know it isn't quite the same for veteran fans of the band as everyone would desperately love new material.

Teemeah

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 07:45:17 AM »
Yeah, and you will find lots of disgruntled older forum members here complaining about the album release that was supposed to happen like... 10 years ago :D I personally don't care about release dates as long as these guys stay healthy and capable of touring. I am watching X stuff every day for 3 months now and I still haven't seen everything.

Fluffy

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 09:09:01 PM »
I have noticed that there is a bit of Yoshiki bashing going on here. I can understand the frustration on one level for people that have waited so long for an album (I'm a huge Bowie fan and in the years that he was laying low I would have loved an album but I always thought that even if he never did anything again he had given the fans enough!) but I guess the way I see it is that many bands never reform at all and even if they never did they have left a legacy of some really great music and I for one never get tired of listening to songs that I love.
I get that Yoshiki is probably a bit of a tease when he keeps mentioning the album and getting people's hopes up. However I suppose I kinda think that maybe people are expecting too much from a person with so many 'issues'. The music was kinda born out of pain and none of us really know what things are like behind the scenes of someone else's life despite how it looks on social media. Life does get more difficult as we get older.
If he never did anything ever again he has left us all with some great music.
I kinda think this way that if the band had never split up then he probably would be so damaged with more neck and wrist problems that he might have not even been here at all by this point. I think there is an element of self destruction in him. Though it really isn't fair that a man can be so beautiful! I'm quite jealous! He reminds me of David Bowie in many ways including his androgynous looks and Bowie has always been my true love!

Yoshiki is probably my favourite but I do like Hide too and think that Toshi is probably quite a sweet guy. I'm still working my way through the translation of his book.

I'm guessing that Yoshiki is your favourite member of the band too?

Teemeah

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 10:23:22 PM »
I totally agree with you, and I think that when Yoshiki says he is working on the album, he means it. But he screws up all the time, because he is a perfectionist (just vocal tracking for Art of Life took him one year! and that was when he was like, 28!) and also there must be a lot of internal pressure for him to live up to the expectations. Especially that newer material like IV and Born to be Free and Jade got a lot of criticism from fans. I can totally imagine that this drives him to the edge. Then all the things he kept delaying, especially those having to do with his health (like this operation), kicked in at the same time. He works and works. He is again on the road and what, like a month passed since his operation? It's crazy. I'm sure he wants to release that album, and when he says so he means it. The it just doesn't happen for whatever internal or external reasons. He is the kind of person who multitasks like crazy, juggling several things at the same time. And fans know that this has always been the case and I have no clue why they think his personality would suddenly change... He's 51. He's NOT gonna change.

Bowie was a great inspiration for Yoshiki, I think he mentioned this a few times. And yes, it's totaly unfair that a guy looks better in make-up and princess clothing than any woman I know. LOL :D He was crazy beautiful with that long hair and the fishnet stockings (holy sheesh, those legs!). I'm still kind of amazed he could pull a stunt like this in ultra-conservative Japan AND become a mainstream superstar with this persona. His past physical trainer mentions in the X Japan Podcast that Yoshiki has a kind of switch in his head, he switches this persona on and off and that after working with him for months, the first time he saw him in make-up and women's clothes was at a press conf, where the others were also dressed up - and he saw them like that for the first time. So, indeed, he is not walking around like this when there are no cameras around :P

I'm totally captivated by Yoshiki's personality. He is intriguing. How he maintains this double persona of a tough, crazy drummer and the soft-spoken, almost fragile-looking, feminine pianist. His fragileness is deceptive, I think. He is stronger than he looks, both physically and mentally. (probably he wouldn't have survived otherwise this long, with all the health issues and the psychological ones he suffered). I also like Heath a lot, I just really dig his supercool demeanour, the way he carries himself, and I think he's also pretty beautiful for a guy (and a guy his age). Sugizo is my third favourite, he also has this double edged-ness, the "bad boy" fused with the "let's save the Earth" mentality. :D I like Toshi's voice, I think his singing is far better than most visual kei singers I heard. Pata is nice, but not my type personality-wise. Hide was totally badass and I do like him, too. Taiji for me is the only band member I cannot attach myself to in any ways. I appreciate he was the "best bassist" in Japan, but I just cannot get in touch with his personality at all. And I sort of dislike that his fans bash Heath as if Heath was the worst bassist on the planet or something...

Fluffy

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2017, 08:39:35 PM »
I love your post. I could have written a lot of this myself too.

I think I can understand the love/ hate thing with him though as I guess that's a little how I feel too. I'm also captivated by his personality and when I was watching the documentary felt a kind of pull towards him. However the pull is perhaps in a painful way as the issues he has related to losing his dad are in some ways similar to the issues that my ex partner had in losing his dad which as a result have caused lots of deeper rooted issues which had a huge effect on our relationship and its ultimate demise. I find it interesting that I'm drawn to him because he perhaps represents a pain that I have felt compassion for but yet one which has caused me most definite pain inflicted by another person. On the one hand I really feel for Yoshiki but on the other I understand how someone's issues can cause other people lots of pain. I think this is where a lot of people are angry with what they feel are broken promises and disappointments and I know only too well how that feels in my own personal life. Of course though being a fan the disappointment is much more reduced than that inflicted by your nearest and dearest but I guess it still evokes a similar reaction in people.
I think I find it interesting to me that the music that I find so helpful at the moment was created by a person with similar issues to my ex. That what has caused us pain also heals us in the same way. I suppose I view him as a black hole. You are going to get sucked in by his tractor beam whether you like it or not! Ha!
I can understand some of people's anger as I've seen my brother be disappointed in the past by concert cancellations that had included hotel bookings and travel arrangements that couldn't be changed without losing money. He once ended up spending a weekend in freezing cold Paris in November because that's when a concert was booked but then cancelled and he might as well have gone rather than totally loosing all his money.  Also the Wembley concert this year was scheduled for last year but was cancelled because Pata was ill so we ended up spending a week in London sightseeing which wasn't the original reason we were going. Thankfully the concert did go ahead this time so I was pleased that finally my brother got to see them and it was also the moment I was converted! Some things are just unavoidable and things happens but I suppose I can sympathise with some of the anger.

It's like you said -he is NOT going to change at his age but as I've experienced in life sometimes it's hard when you love something or someone to come to that acceptance when you can perhaps see in your logic a better way for things to be. Like he really does need to just fully recover from his operation properly before jumping into things again. I think it's perhaps partly motivated from not wanting to let the fans down again but also I think he just cannot bear to be separated from playing.
People are complicated and messy! Having said that though I still really love him. He does seem like the perfect blend of masculine and feminine which I really am drawn to. If he did ever want to oblige me with a night on top of the piano then I wouldn't refuse! Ha! ( I have probably shared too much!)
I like the mixture of vulnerability and aggression with the drums and the piano and some of the stores I've read about him make me laugh! (Fighting with a guy called dynamite Tommy and destroying bars) I can't imagine him doing certain things when he seems very sweet in interviews playing with his hair and appearing all innocent.
Being a bit of a perfectionist myself I can understand some of his tendencies in that way though.

I don't think I have watched enough yet to get a real feel for some of the others. I think I just get a vibe that Toshi and Hide were kinda sweet though I could be wrong. I like Sugizo a lot too but any man who can play the violin is always a winner with me as its my favourite instrument.

Do you like yoshikis classical stuff? I really love anniversary.

Teemeah

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2017, 09:27:24 PM »
it's interesting how you draw a parallel between your ex and Yoshiki, I think we have a saying in Hungarian, that fits very well, it goes: "you treat a dog's bite with its fur", that is the cure is similar to what caused the injury in the first place. I can imagine that such childhood experiences can cause a lot of issues that later will affect a person's relationships :( I'm also not sure Yoshiki would ever end up in a long term relationship with anyone.

Yes, I understand the frustration with the money related issues, of course. Especially if it happens multiple times.

Yeah, the masculine and feminine traits are very magnetic in him. I'm also drawn to guys like this, probably that is why I'm atrracted to a bunch of Asian guys, a lot of Asian celebrities have these double traits. For example Takeru Satoh, who plays a badass swordsman in the live action of Rurouni Kenshin, and then next moment he looks like he stepped straight out of a bishonen manga. And then there are my Korean sweethearts like G-Dragon, who is also a similarly double edged guy, who raps crazy tough and then next thing you know he tears up during a talk show because the host asks him to send a video message to his mom :) These guys are like puzzles and I really like putting the pieces together. :D

(Oh yeah, I wouldn't refuse Yo-chan, either LOL but these will forever remain fangirl fantasies hehe)

You'd definitely fall for some of the other guys too, I think, once you get to know them. I mean, just look at these photosof Heath http://napiazsiaipasi.blog.hu/2017/04/25/heath_232 :P :P

And as for Sugizo, I'm going to be cosplaying him this July here at the local con, my first ever cosplay (yeah I'm getting totally crazy at this age... LOL). And I didn't choose Yoshiki because my sewing skills are non-existant, I cannot make his Princess dress for all my life. Sugizo's outfit is easier to do with some shredding and cutting. :D

I like some of Yoshiki's classical stuff, Amethyst is really nice and some of the classical versions of older X songs. But I'm more into his X Japan work, and his Violet UK stuff wasn't really my kind of music (probably because of the female singers).

Do you read fanfiction? I indulged in it a couple weeks ago and holy sheesh, it's addictive :D

Fluffy

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2017, 07:18:54 PM »
Ah if only my ex had looked like him or had any of his musical talent then it might have helped in dealing with his enmeshed family. Ha!
I will check out the other guys you have mentioned. The heath pictures are nice! I like his feathered hair in those photos. He seems like one of the quieter members of the band as I never hear him speak much in interviews but I'm guessing that he doesn't know much English?

Good luck with your costume making! My sewing skills are very rusty since I did it years ago in school. I once made a Chinese dress with a dragon on but I doubt if be able to do anything like that now as I don't have the patience.

I have read a few fan fics on occasion as they make me giggle but haven't read any for a long time now.

Teemeah

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2017, 08:49:59 PM »
He's quiet, and not a lot is known about his life. Pata is like that too. They don't speak much even in Japanese interviews. :) But here, for example, you can get a glimpse of why I just adore Heath so much :D (and they are all too cute in this interview :D) [eng subbed]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYO1_bPgtrw

Fluffy

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2017, 10:31:23 PM »
I love that video. It's really helpful when it's subtitled as you can see more of their dynamic and how they are with each other. I like how he seemed very cool about everything even when they were making fun of him for saying he didnt know anything about them.It's annoying that most things aren't subtitled as you get a much better insight into the characters. Yoshiki comes across differently speaking his own language rather than English too. I always think you get more of the real person when they are speaking their native language.

Teemeah

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2017, 08:40:29 AM »
I love that video. It's really helpful when it's subtitled as you can see more of their dynamic and how they are with each other. I like how he seemed very cool about everything even when they were making fun of him for saying he didnt know anything about them.It's annoying that most things aren't subtitled as you get a much better insight into the characters. Yoshiki comes across differently speaking his own language rather than English too. I always think you get more of the real person when they are speaking their native language.

Absolutely. He speaks rather fast in Japanese, he also mentions it in this video http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4cvtkl (it's uploaded in parts) that his mom always tells him to speak slower when on broadcast. :D LOL and in English, he sounds completely different. Even his voice modulation is different. He sounds almost whispery in English and firm and masculine in Japanese. :D Surely it comes down to English not being his native language, but I think it is also kind of intentional, part of his game of "feminine vs masculine" qualities. Afte all, he lived 20 years in the US so I doubt he would have language issues.

Also, if I think about how Toshi speaks English (he speaks quite a bit in the DVD version of the documentary, and surprisingly well), he doesn't sound much different in English than in Japanese. Also if I consider myself, although I adjust to the rhythm and intonation of the languages I speak, I don't feel I sound noticably different tone-wise. I certainly don't soften my voice :D So to me it seems like it's part of the image Yoshiki presents. Or maybe he just really doesn't feel very comfortable in English, although I doubt that, if he decided to live in the US decades ago. :)

This video above is a talk with Gackt, it's pretty funny. And you get to see some different sides of Yoshiki, too. He is really a "boss" :P My fave part is when they tell the story of how Yoshiki acted weird in a restaurant. I literally ROFLed.

Did you see the video on Youtube when a reporter visists his house in LA? Now THAT tells a lot about his personality. All the furniture is black. Everything, except for the bathroom. And mirrors everywhere, everywhere. :D

Fluffy

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2017, 09:06:27 PM »
Yeah I think you might be right that it's part of his feminine image when he is speaking English. He seems much different. I can only relate to when I did my French degree and spoke french. It never really felt like it was 'me' who was speaking but that's probably because I wasn't that good!
Like you say I'm sure after all those years living there he must feel pretty at ease speaking English.
Thank you so much for sharing the link! It made me laugh when they said they drank 16 bottles of champagne and Yoshiki said that's why the album is delayed! Gackt said that he is always telling him to get his act together which I found funny too.

Yes I have seen the house video. I really couldn't live in a house like that! I studied interior design and it just makes me want to go around there are sort it out for him! Ha! It's very sterile, almost like a gallery with completely white walls. I can't imagine it being a very relaxing home. I would desperately need to get some paint on the walls! I wonder what a psychologist would say about his home? Maybe he is never there or he is just very tidy?

Teemeah

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2017, 09:16:40 PM »
Probably he lives in the studio anyways so possibly only goes home to sleep. His kitchen also looks like it is never actually used for anything but opening bottles. It's pretty sad in a way, I don't get a "home" vibe from his house. It's a house with walls and a bed to sleep in. Like a hotel.... The absence of colors probably reflects his mindset, too. I also wonder what a psychologist would say. But in any case, he's already messed up so I'm pretty sure he'd be an interesting case to study. What childhood experiences and possibly a genetically pre-determined sensitive nervous system can lead up to. I was thinking about this actually, that his dad also looks like a soft-hearted guy on the one photo he has left of him. And that he was a musician and a dancer, too. We won't know of course why he killed himself, but I think it is possible that maybe he had to give up his dreams of being a musician/dancer to take over the family shop. Mundane work can literally kill an artist, I think. Of course this is just my (maybe far-fecthed) theory. But in that case he could have inherited this sensitive nervous system and artistic vein from his dad. And then the trauma topped it all and it was all downhill from there regarding his personality.

Ahh don't mind me, the writer in me has vast imagination. :P

Fluffy

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2017, 10:55:23 PM »
Ah Teemeah its like you think my thoughts! I'll PM you with a better reply but I can certainly agreed that mundane work can kill an artist. That's something that I have struggled with myself and there are overlaps in my family history that I can draw parallels with. This is perhaps why I find x japan and Yoshiki fascinating. I'm sure they are all fascinating in their own way too!

Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2017, 12:01:01 PM »
A bit late to jump on the train, but welcome to the forum!

And don't be put off by the over-average negativity (or constructive criticism?) towards Yoshiki. Aside from the reasons you already brought out (Yoshiki taking too long with the new album and several last-minute cancellations), I think it is a reactionary counterweight to the over-the-top admiration and hype Yoshiki gets from his fans (mostly fangirls and those who copy Japanese and Asian fans) elsewhere, which can be a bit strange and off-putting to some Western fans who might want to treat the band similarly than the bands elsewhere in the West. Yes, the band is awesome and legendary, but in the end they are human, not demigods as some fans see them. I (and others who frequent/frequented this forum) do understand that all this is part of the band - all the wild fans, the mystique around them, the over-the-top performances and everything surrounding it, but we try to not get too carried away with it, most of the time :)

Another thing is that while we mostly acknowledge that Yoshiki is the heart, soul and mind behind X Japan, and that everyone has their personal preference on the band members, we do feel that Yoshiki is oftentimes over-represented with everything band-related. We love Yoshiki's music (how else would we love the band), but we would also love to see more contributions by other members when it comes to composing and writing music. The latest We Are X documentary is a good example. While it was an awesome movie, very well done and perfectly encapsulates the story of Yoshiki and X Japan, we still learn very little about everyone else in the band. Yoshiki's powerful social media presence (in English) and the lack of it for other members doesn't really help.

So all-in-all, I guess the perceived anti-Yoshiki sentiment is mostly related to his demigod status elsewhere, which, for many fans, means that everything he does or says is perfect and any criticism is equal to blasphemy. This forum has in the past been one of the few places online where, while loving the band and their music, you've been able to honestly speak your mind and discuss also the not-so-good.
This is my administrator color.

Teemeah

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2017, 12:38:59 PM »
Hi Sander. Thanks for the welsome.

I've no problems discussing the not-so-good, and I do have my own fair amount of criticism of Yoshiki, to me what is off-putting is the constant whining (or what I percieve as whining) over the same things over and over again. It's like whatever news comes, really, whatever the content it ends up in "we still have no album", "it1s gonna be delayed". Etc. The latest example is the announcement of the acoustic concerts. Again, the reaction (save for a few people)? Whining. If ehe decided to postpone the whole thing - he would get the same whining (look, postponed again!), if he decided to hold the concert as is, it would be the same whining again (but he overworks himself, he's not gonna last the 6 days, the concerts will probably be cut in half, blabla). Sometimes it really just feels like that people here just try to find anything they can complain about with reagrds to Yoshiki. He can do no good. This is, to me, the other extreme end of the scale. On the other end the blind fangirls to whom he can do no wrong, in this end, the whiners, to whom he can do no good ever. Sigh. Why can't we find the middle road?

The latest We Are X documentary is a good example. While it was an awesome movie, very well done and perfectly encapsulates the story of Yoshiki and X Japan, we still learn very little about everyone else in the band. Yoshiki's powerful social media presence (in English) and the lack of it for other members doesn't really help.

I disagree with you here. There is a fair amount of story of Toshi and hide and Taiji in there, and let's be honest, Pata and Heath have never been particularly revealing about their lives. Did you see the interviews on the DVD? Pata is basically "yes, no, I don't remember" the whole time. Heath evades all the personal questions (what was your childhood like? - I grew up near the sea --- oh seriously? well anyone who has access to google maps and checks out his hometown would know that...). How do you make a compelling story about people who keep their mouths shut? Yoshiki is pretty much the only one willing to discuss his life, and to some extent Toshi, too. SNS presence is again their choice. Toshi has an instagram, facebook, and decided to write only in Japanese. Why? He speaks English, he proved it in the documentary. It's their choice. I don't see how this is Yoshiki's fault that the other band members are not willing to talk about their private lives and feelings. And Sugizo, he considers himself a helping hand (his own words), I think he would have refused to be more in the film, even if the direction were to go there...

Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2017, 08:41:57 PM »
I've no problems discussing the not-so-good, and I do have my own fair amount of criticism of Yoshiki, to me what is off-putting is the constant whining (or what I percieve as whining) over the same things over and over again.
I think what you as a new fan might see as constant whining (over similar topics) is just bits and pieces of discontent stretched over a long period of time (as the album has been 95%-99% done for years now, Yoshiki's health issues aren't anything new and also cancelled concerts are not that uncommon as well). So these past almost 10 years have been some very good news concentrated in short periods, and some not-so-good news or just a lack of news stretched over longer periods. Specially for fans who are really not that interested in the latest Yoshikitty or Yoshiki perfume news...

So, while there have been awesome moments, specially with the World Tour and concerts that did happen, there have been a series of, if not disappointments, then letdowns and things that were supposed to happen, but for one reason or other, didn't. And if that happens over a long period of time (almost 10 years for many here) then some fans can get a bit tired and weary. But again, I do believe that most of the fans here and elsewhere, despite their complaints, do love the band and will be happy when something does happen.

I disagree with you here. There is a fair amount of story of Toshi and hide and Taiji in there, and let's be honest, Pata and Heath have never been particularly revealing about their lives. Did you see the interviews on the DVD? Pata is basically "yes, no, I don't remember" the whole time. Heath evades all the personal questions (what was your childhood like? - I grew up near the sea --- oh seriously? well anyone who has access to google maps and checks out his hometown would know that...). How do you make a compelling story about people who keep their mouths shut? Yoshiki is pretty much the only one willing to discuss his life, and to some extent Toshi, too. SNS presence is again their choice. Toshi has an instagram, facebook, and decided to write only in Japanese. Why? He speaks English, he proved it in the documentary. It's their choice. I don't see how this is Yoshiki's fault that the other band members are not willing to talk about their private lives and feelings. And Sugizo, he considers himself a helping hand (his own words), I think he would have refused to be more in the film, even if the direction were to go there...
As I said, the movie was great and served its purpose well. And if the band agrees that Yoshiki is the frontman and everything revolves around him, then we as fans have to accept it. It's their choice. But that doesn't mean people can't wish for something more :)
This is my administrator color.

Teemeah

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 09:25:02 PM »
You can wish for something more but that doesn't mean it's gonna happen. Pata and Heath has kept silent about their lives for decades, to me it would be surprising if they suddenly started talking about it just because a documentary crew came :) also, this film is more about human drama than about band history, and I think that was the purpose, because in the West, frankly, who would sit in for a timeline historical documentary of a band they never heard about? This is more like a melodrama based on real facts than a band story tpe of docu, and I think it's fine that way. Maybe in the future they would decide to make a band history (we did this that year so and so) type of documentary, too.