Kurenai_Akari · 7089

Offline Kurenai_Akari

• Fan
  • Toshimitsu Deyama fan
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter profile
on: December 16, 2016, 09:12:07 AM
And it's "LA Venus". From the Oscar's page:

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences today announced that 91 songs from eligible feature-length motion pictures released in 2016 are in contention for nominations in the Original Song category for the 89th Academy Awards®.

. . .

During the nominations process, all voting members of the Music Branch will receive a Reminder List of works submitted in the category and a compilation of the song clips.  Members will be asked to watch the clips and then vote in the order of their preference for not more than five achievements in the category.  The five achievements receiving the highest number of votes will become the nominations for final voting for the award.  A maximum of two songs may be nominated from any one film.

To be eligible, a song must consist of words and music, both of which are original and written specifically for the film.  A clearly audible, intelligible, substantive rendition of both lyric and melody must be used in the body of the film or as the first music cue in the end credits.

Nominations for the 89th Oscars® will be announced on Tuesday, January 24, 2017.

The 89th Oscars will be held on Sunday, February 26, 2017, at the Dolby Theatre® at Hollywood & Highland Center® in Hollywood, and will be televised live on the ABC Television Network at 7 p.m. ET/4 p.m. PT.  The Oscars also will be televised live in more than 225 countries and territories worldwide.

Source: http://www.oscars.org/news/91-original-songs-vie-2016-oscar

Welp, for a song that no one had heard in full quite yet, this is a pretty big deal (I think). I wonder if it'll be given a chance? Even the prospect of being nominated will be a huge boost to the band's name.

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
  • Bokuwa ongakuka, dentaku katateni。
    • View Profile
    • some kind of nerdness...
Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 11:24:04 AM
interesting. thanks for sharing :-)

positively unsure。

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 06:26:30 PM
Oh intresting. Winning an oscar is something that will most likely never happen, but still... thanks for sharing.  :)

While I'm away, read this line again...

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 01:34:56 AM
Oh intresting. Winning an oscar is something that will most likely never happen, but still... thanks for sharing.  :)

Mainly winning an Oscar with a movie that nobody sees because is not released anywhere, with a song that nobody ever heard fully.

Offline YoshToshBGosh

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 06:12:42 AM
No way in hell they're gonna win this. Why is it even in this pre-selection? From the snippet I found online, it sounds like a rather generic Yoshiki ballad. Maybe it's a favor for the director or sth.?
Still, good promotion for X.

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 09:30:21 PM
For those you didn't hear it yet, there are some uploads of the TV show today where they played the whole song (it's the last song)
https://youtu.be/OCXOC9lq3QU

...When the morning begins
I'll be in the next chapter...

Offline darkcat21

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 11:01:57 PM
Awful song.

And yet another Yoshiki song without guitar solo. I'm gonna start believing that hide wrote most guitar parts. Otherwhise I can't understand how the guy who wrote Tears or Forever Love could now write such 'song'.

hi there

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 12:07:27 AM
Thank you Asuka!

I think the song is okay... nothing special, but not bad.

But what me really impresses is that Toshi can actually sing again.  :)

And his pronunciation is really great. As you all know I'm not a native speaker, but I can easilly understand every single word (doing the dishes while I'm listening to the song, didn't see, that there are subtitles  ::) )

positively unsure。

Offline Kurenai_Akari

• Fan
  • Toshimitsu Deyama fan
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter profile
Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 12:56:01 AM
So here's my thoughts on "La Venus":

Good:
- It's great that ToshI's English has improved by leaps & bounds over the years. I feel that it really shines in this song.
- I do like the lyrics to "La Venus", even though it does contain Yoshiki's motifs of roses & death

Bad:
- The music itself feels a bit empty or too safe. Like it's in need of something, you know? Prolly that guitar solo that someone had mentioned earlier.

Offline YoshToshBGosh

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 02:37:58 AM
Bad:
- The music itself feels a bit empty or too safe. Like it's in need of something, you know? Prolly that guitar solo that someone had mentioned earlier.

This is what happens when you write rock music on sheets(here, they probably said "Ballad #274" on top) and have the musicians come in to overdub their parts. It's sterile and dull.
The lack of interesting melodies doesn't help either.
But I still got my hopes up high for "Kiss the sky"  ;)

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: December 18, 2016, 03:16:24 AM
Just watched the video. Lots of thoughts on this one, mainly left feeling disappointed though. If this is a sign of songs to come and what Yoshiki considers "X Japan's signature song for the new era", I'm very worried. Pata, Sugizo, and Heath all look miserable performing it, and not really a surprise when it's just mediocre power chords. The drum fills aren't even exciting. The lyrics feel all too similar to everything else Yoshiki writes about roses, pain, flying to heaven, rain, etc. I echo Kurenai_Akari that it feels like it's missing something big time. If Kiss the Sky doesn't deliver then this new album is going to suck major balls.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 03:22:56 AM by Feudal »

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: December 18, 2016, 03:19:17 AM
Also, anyone notice Yoshiki's screw up at 30:12? Awkward......

Offline CreepyKlutz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: December 18, 2016, 06:24:30 AM
ANOTHER SONG WITH THE WORD RAIN IN IT.

This song is really really really flat. It's like a song that never actually builds up like it wants to. There's absolutely no emotion in this.

Heath and Sugizo in particular look annoyed by the 32:50 mark of the video.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 06:27:58 AM by CreepyKlutz »

Offline Hyunkel

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: December 18, 2016, 12:32:08 PM
And yet another Yoshiki song without guitar solo. I'm gonna start believing that hide wrote most guitar parts. Otherwhise I can't understand how the guy who wrote Tears or Forever Love could now write such 'song'.

I agree on the guitar part... During this kind of songs (Forever love, Tears) I always feel a little bad for hide, Pata, Taiji/Heath considering they seem to be bored to death but at least at some point, the song goes up and they do play something more interesting. Here, they don't, they just stand, it's kind of sad.

Really it's too bad all the members are not fully used to their true potential. Even for Toshi, who does a great job instilling emotions and singing nevertheless, I remember some months ago when some extract of Toshi solo leaked on Youtube where he sang Vanishing Love and old X songs and it was just great. He can truly sing songs of that range again, but they keep using the same song over and over again.

Anyway, this song confederates what I feel about the direction of the band: Yoshiki write about rose, pain and rain, Toshi sings with emotion and the other 3 don't do much.

I hope 2017 and the release of the album will trigger a proper revival for this band!

..Close your eyes and I'll kill you in the rain...

...Art of Life An Eternal Bleeding Heart...

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #14 on: December 18, 2016, 03:30:08 PM
I agree with all you guys that the song is missing something. It's not terrible but it suggests that it will built up to something but in the end, the whole song has no kind of goal/highlight/whatever. It's promising something that doesn't happen.

But well, in that sense, it's painfully fitting as their new theme song. :P *cough cough*

(Also, 3 members being just decoration again while playing a lot of recorded instruments in just sad....)

...When the morning begins
I'll be in the next chapter...

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: December 18, 2016, 05:05:18 PM
Maybe we can hope and the song isn't finished yet. On the album there maybe are guitar solos or something like a bridge ...

wouldn't surprise me. Many songs have changed from their earliest mention. For example Longing.

Maxbe Yoshiki just want/had to write an opening for we are x and now has to make out of this a full 3 minute mainstream radio song.

I don't now.

But as i mentioned earlier I like Toshis voice and pronunciation. And thats a good thing  ;)

positively unsure。

Offline magucathy

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: December 18, 2016, 10:49:40 PM
Ha... another song with very similar lyrics as all the other X songs.
Yes, there's something missing in the song, the melody is good but it lacks some excitement. I don't know how to say it.
But Toshi sang very good in all these songs! Hopefully he will keep up this high standard. 

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: December 19, 2016, 12:38:44 AM
And Yoshiki says this is his favourite and 'it shows X's new direction'.
The song itself is not bad. But is boring.

Offline CreepyKlutz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: December 19, 2016, 02:39:29 AM
Yo should have let Sugizo write the guitar parts

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: December 19, 2016, 10:30:45 AM

But he doesnt' want. He wants X to be HIS band, where HE should be the biggest.
Since their return they stopped being a real band and are Yoshiki's support musicians.

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: December 19, 2016, 10:34:09 AM

STOP IT!

He is a rose! Blooming in the desert!!! Show respect!!11!

;) ;)

positively unsure。

Offline Hyunkel

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: December 19, 2016, 11:31:46 AM

Since their return they stopped being a real band and are Yoshiki's support musicians.

Yup, pretty much. and it's sad.

And since we're on it, let Pata write the guitar parts with Sugizo. I was relistening to Pata's first solo album yesterday and it's still great!

..Close your eyes and I'll kill you in the rain...

...Art of Life An Eternal Bleeding Heart...

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #22 on: December 19, 2016, 04:17:01 PM
Soooo where do I begin?

I listened to the song on sunday morning, after my wonderful husband sent me the link. (Thx honey <3) My first thoughts weren't all that negative. I was really impressed by Toshi.  :) He sang it soooo well. I can finally understand the english lyrics Toshi sings. That's great! Where does that come from? :D

But yes, I agree the lyrics remind me a lot of... [insert random other X song about love/roses]. It's still a cute ballad. Not his best, but not the worst (the worst beeing longing... *cough*).

And now that you mention it. Guitars! They are completely missing. They could've thrown in some great guitar solo and make the song a lot better with it... but well... I guess Pata won't start writing anything for X now... he didn't do that in the past. Why should he now? And the only thing he did write once (White Wind from Mr. Martin ~Pata's Nap~) wasn't all that exciting. ^^° Sugizo could contribute something. That would be cool. But he seems too engaged in other projects. So that will probably not happen.  ???

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: December 20, 2016, 12:08:57 AM
Soooo where do I begin?

I listened to the song on sunday morning, after my wonderful husband sent me the link. (Thx honey <3) My first thoughts weren't all that negative. I was really impressed by Toshi.  :) He sang it soooo well. I can finally understand the english lyrics Toshi sings. That's great! Where does that come from? :D

But yes, I agree the lyrics remind me a lot of... [insert random other X song about love/roses]. It's still a cute ballad. Not his best, but not the worst (the worst beeing longing... *cough*).

And now that you mention it. Guitars! They are completely missing. They could've thrown in some great guitar solo and make the song a lot better with it... but well... I guess Pata won't start writing anything for X now... he didn't do that in the past. Why should he now? And the only thing he did write once (White Wind from Mr. Martin ~Pata's Nap~) wasn't all that exciting. ^^° Sugizo could contribute something. That would be cool. But he seems too engaged in other projects. So that will probably not happen.  ???

Sugizo composed Beneath the Skin for S.K.I.N., and "adapted" for X pretty well (including a guitar solo, which the original version didn't have).
I think he could be really useful on the new songs, if Yoshiki was not so self-centered.

Offline friday

• Moderators
  • Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: December 20, 2016, 09:42:36 AM
Don't forget Pata co-wrote Wriggle too Kasumi! Only the most important and non-filler track off Dahlia! ;)

MODERATOR'd!

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #25 on: December 21, 2016, 10:33:11 AM
Don't forget Pata co-wrote Wriggle too Kasumi! Only the most important and non-filler track off Dahlia! ;)

Oh you're right! I completely forgot this track. :D

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: December 24, 2016, 03:42:07 PM
Hm, not really a fan of that song. It's not really bad but not great either. :/

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: December 27, 2016, 06:03:01 AM
The recording clip of the song sounds absolutely amazing, enough to where it could make me cry. The live version sounds unfinished. During the vocal parts it's great but without more instrumentation it sounds like a demo. I keep waiting for the guitar to come through.

What I really think so many of us are missing about X Japan is the intricacy when it came to guitar. I think Yoshiki, having been so observant about future trends in the past, is looking too much into what current rock is and trying to model present X Japan off of that? Which leads to current X Japan being one-dimensional and not dynamic at all. He shouldn't be playing to current trends because everyone 30years his junior has tried and failed to bring rock into the next era by doing so. He needs to reiterate rock's musicianship tbh, that's all there is to it. Make no mistake, he is perfectly capable of complex compositions and ambitious guitar solos. I think he's honestly under the impression that people don't want that these days.... nope. wrong.

Anyway. Really great bones. ToshI's vocals are superb. But the song isn't finished. The new X must be greater than the past and that's all there is to it, right? I'll be waiting for the official release because the one on his YouTube page sounds much more polished and dynamic than the one performed live.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 06:05:47 AM by returner »

We are not trying to keep the legacy—we are trying to move forward, so our sound is going to change. I’m ready to be criticized, for example by fans saying "you should rather be this style." I’m ready for it, I’m okay with any concept of criticism-Yoshiki

Offline Kurenai_Akari

• Fan
  • Toshimitsu Deyama fan
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter profile
Reply #28 on: December 28, 2016, 02:28:57 AM
I listened to "La Venus" again last night & it's a tad better on the second hearing (ToshI's vocals still trump music, but it's a little more bearable) to me. If anything, I have a newfound appreciation for "Jade" & "Born To Be Free". The solos in those songs have some bite to them, hahah.

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: January 24, 2017, 07:24:31 PM
http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/01/oscar-nominations-2017-full-list

And it was just a cheap hype as usual. "La Venus" is out.