X Freaks Forum

News:

• Welcome to the X FREAKS forum!
    Please read the rules :)
  • Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Hey Man So Long: hide's lashout at Toshi and/or Yoshiki?

MiscastDice · 8197

Offline MiscastDice

• Fan
    • View Profile
So, after reading the Mr. Jones thread, I've been thinking, and on reading the lyrics, I think that "Hey Man So Long" is much more likely to be hide's lashout at Toshi and his breaking up X Japan. . . look out for possible overinterpretation here. . .

http://www.lyricstime.com/zilch-hey-man-so-long-lyrics.html

Hello, hello, hello, hello.
Hello, hello, hello, goodbye

This could refer to X's breakup in both its suddenness and in how hide may have likely seen it. . .

I can see inside of you
you alone are my chameleon
I know how you lied to me
you will know what you're meant to be

This could refer to Toshi's or Yoshiki's changes from visual kei to a more subdued style, or to promises either made and then broke. It could also refer to Toshi's religious conversion, which in a sense made him a "chameleon" in that he changed everything from his vocal style to eventually his entire identification with the band to "heal" himself. . .

I have been inside of you
you will know you belong to me... to me... completely

This could refer to, in one sense, hide's having been a member of X Japan and having seen the band as his own thing. In a much more homoerotically speculative sense, it could mean that hide had been in a sexual relationship with someone in X Japan (most likely either Yoshiki or Toshi or both) and that the relationship either ended badly or was continuing. . .

I have been inside of you
you will know the price of freedom
you need to know you lied to me
you will know what you tried to me
you will know what you tried to be
I have cleansed inside of you
now you scream inside of me

See above. . . and. . .

"You will know what you tried to me, you will know what you tried to be" makes me think this song or this segment is a lashout at Toshi more than at Yoshiki, since Toshi had always been much less sure of himself and of his life than either Yoshiki or hide, and since he eventually left the band and the lifestyle he considered wild. . . "tried to be" could easily refer to Toshi's attempt to "be a real rockstar" having been pushed by Yoshiki and hide to do so, then turning his back on it all.

Hey man so long... they caught you out
Hey man so long... so say good night
so long, so long... sayonara.

This could be a reference to the Last Live, and to Toshi's joining a religious cult, the "they."

I have screamed inside of you
you belong alone to me
you don't know what you want chameleon
It's so wrong, so unfamiliar

This could be aimed at Toshi, Yoshiki, or both. . .

Hey man so long... they caught you out
hey man so long... so say good night

Hello, hello, hello, hello, hello
Hello, hello, hello, goodbye
they changed your mind

This is almost certainly (to me at least) a reference to Toshi's involvement in Masaya's sect and his decision to leave the band and follow the sect.

Especially note what isn't in the published lyrics, the song leading out into an American "religious radio" piece, which could be used as a veiled reference to hide's disgust for Toshi's religion in a way that English listeners could get, the song's "loss of self" into an incongruous religious babble. . .

Offline Sirimono

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 10:52:02 PM
I didn't even care to read all this, but couldn't it be that hide did not think of X, X's members ALL the time?

I mean... that's all a bit far-fetched

„All images are posted under the fair rights agreement. Copyright belongs to the respective owners.“

Offline MillieQOF

• Moderators
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 10:54:47 PM
Yeah, it gets sort of annoynig when EVERY SONG LYRIC he wrote is interpreted as having something to do with X or whatever.

Don't you guys think he had other things on his mind than X/Yoshiki/Toshi/suicide?

Offline MillieQOF

• Moderators
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 11:51:05 PM
Quote from: "Babak"
Haha, did you guys notice that this song also could mean something along the lines of hide butfucking toshi?  :lol:

Doesn't have to be toshi though :P But the whole thing of being inside of someone else, I can't help but to think of sex  :twisted:

I prefer to read those lines as controlling someone's mind.
But I'm weird like that :D

Offline MiscastDice

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 01:12:17 AM
Quote from: "MillieQOF"
Yeah, it gets sort of annoynig when EVERY SONG LYRIC he wrote is interpreted as having something to do with X or whatever.

Don't you guys think he had other things on his mind than X/Yoshiki/Toshi/suicide?

Of course I do. That said, I think this one song was about that. There's no need to attack me because others have annoyed you.

Offline MiscastDice

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 06:36:04 AM
Quote from: "Saint(c)"
It could be about some girl or anything. Although when I first read it I thought of Toshi at the Last Live whether it's about him or not..

True, it could be about anyone. However, I do think the odds of it being about Toshi are significant, and I also don't think that means he was only capable about thinking of X and Toshi and Yoshiki and all: it means that I believe the breakup of X was one of the most tragic events in hide's life, and it's not unbelievable that he expressed his feelings over it in one song.

Offline nage

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 07:07:52 AM
*lol* I really don't think this has anything to do with X.... XD And honestly... as much as it sounds like sex.. it can be interpreted in soooo many ways.....  :D

May X be with you!

Offline darkcat21

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 07:25:33 AM
Man, you're quite retarded. Toshi didn't join any sect, cult or had a change of religion. And the song has nothing to with what you have said (which is all rubbish, btw), this song was composed before Toshi released anything with Masaya.

hi there

Offline xkurokei

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/xkurokei/
Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 08:09:37 AM
I don't think that it has anything to do with X at all.
You think too much yo.
Like saint said, it could be about girl,
or it could just be sex. lol

Here comes hide!

Psychedelic Violence X Crime of Visual Shock

Offline Artseeker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 11:53:43 AM
MiscastDice is just expressing an opinion here,one can agree or disagree,but let's just try to stay polite ok?

Everyone is entitled to have his/her own opinions and we should all respect that. :wink:

I disagree with what has been said about this song,but that's all there is to it.

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 01:10:39 PM
Yeah people, keep it civilized here...

This is my administrator color.

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 02:57:26 PM
Quote from: "MillieQOF"

I completely agree. Actually people are very closed-minded when it comes to their idols: their life is not just what we know.
I suppose it's a bit off to think everything he did (including the speculation about his possible suicide) had to do with the very same circle of people that we're into.
And to be honest, from what is known of hide, I don't think the only source of his creativity was Yoshiki or X....

Woah, I can haz admin colour.

Offline Flippinklein

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/lostpyscho
Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 01:35:48 AM
Like others have said...not all his lyrics were about X.

HE DID HAVE A LIFE YOU KNOW!!

other than X.

perhaps this song refers to a lover...
Which is what I have always thought.

A lover that things did not work out with.

mhh

He lives on with each smile that his music brings to each childs and adults face

Offline R

• View Profile
Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 03:44:29 PM
MiscastDice, Don't know if you are still watching this topic, but I just wanted to reply: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !&%^@ HIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! **&$Q#$#%#($%@#$(%@#%*@$#^*)@^)&#$^#$%()^!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Yes, most of his other songs probably are about anything else, but this song... I think what you said makes sense.  But maybe I imagine I understand more than I do, maybe I can't really see inside ;) .

Offline R

• View Profile
Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 04:05:42 PM
But really, it doesn't matter who it's about, that person is gonna know.  This song is freaking stabbing me through my change-color-heart.  @#%*@#%&$^*!  Well done, hide.

Teemeah

Reply #15 on: November 04, 2017, 03:22:54 PM
The album was recorded in 1996. I doubt hide knew about Toshi's ongoing brainwashing at that time :))) Had he known, he probably would have tried to talk to Toshi, instead of writing a lash-out song at him ;)

Offline akuro no oka

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: November 05, 2017, 09:59:41 AM
The album was recorded in 1996. I doubt hide knew about Toshi's ongoing brainwashing at that time :))) Had he known, he probably would have tried to talk to Toshi, instead of writing a lash-out song at him ;)

Welp, there goes the theory then LOL

Tell me why
I want the meaning of my life
Do I try to live, Do I try to love
in my dream

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: November 06, 2017, 09:57:00 AM
I read somewhere that hide's songs were written for him by someone else and then he picked the ones he liked and arranged them.

Also, as much as I liked the guy's visuals, I always thought his lyrics were pure gibberish.
If you guys can extract interesting theories from that mumbo jumbo, you totally have a future in Freudian psychoanalysis.  ;D

Woah, I can haz admin colour.