• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

New Single Soon

returner · 12124

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
on: October 12, 2015, 02:35:28 AM
Just a reminder, X Japan's new single is coming out this month! Just 11 more days! Correction: the single will be released on Nov. 6th and is Born To Be Free!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 10:23:06 PM by returner »

We are not trying to keep the legacy—we are trying to move forward, so our sound is going to change. I’m ready to be criticized, for example by fans saying "you should rather be this style." I’m ready for it, I’m okay with any concept of criticism-Yoshiki

Offline CreepyKlutz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 05:20:55 AM
I totally forgot about this. Holy crap that was fast.

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 07:18:40 AM
Excited for this! I was kind of hoping by now that Yoshiki would at least alluding to it...so we know it will actually be coming out on the 23rd!!!

Offline denx

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 11:59:12 AM
Hey guys, btbf release 06.11.2015

Ex denxdenx

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 01:00:39 PM
https://twitter.com/YoshikiOfficial/status/653532767913795584

People on Twitter claiming that the cover is misogynist.

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 03:42:20 PM
The person claiming it's misogynist is unhealthily obsessed with Yoshiki. Just click on her Twitter and you'll see just how much she tweets him and tries to get personal. I wouldn't worry about what she has to say when I'm sure Yoshiki's management and record label have given the cover their blessing. In fact, the track title almost goes against the misogynist idea when you think about it.

Offline CreepyKlutz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 10:14:43 PM
Misogynst? Good lord. Someone isn't actually paying attention to the artwork (which while isn't my thing, is obviously in the same vein as Jade) and the song lyrics...

Anywho-it's nice to finally have this coming out and out of the way.

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 10:29:27 PM
That person is a political piggy-backer... they see a naked woman in chains and assume it's automatically oppressive, I'm guessing because women are pretty much solely used in the media for sex appeal.

But to me this cover clearly states, "despite your chains, you're born to be free." Don't know how she breaks out of the chains... but I'm assuming that's what the song is for!

We are not trying to keep the legacy—we are trying to move forward, so our sound is going to change. I’m ready to be criticized, for example by fans saying "you should rather be this style." I’m ready for it, I’m okay with any concept of criticism-Yoshiki

Offline YoshToshBGosh

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 11:14:07 PM
It sure is sexist. the Break your chains message could be done without the BDSM lingerie.Yoshiki always liked that style. Don't get me wrong, I sympathize!

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 12:50:33 AM
An article I found:

http://www.syncmusic.jp/wordpress/?p=24536

I really like this part:

"As soon as I started composing “Born To Be Free,” I knew it was going to be a special song for X Japan. We want people to interpret the song as a reflection of their personal journey. All of us are born free to dream what we want without any limits” says X JAPAN’s leader and co-founder Yoshiki.

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 10:14:43 AM

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 11:08:06 AM
THAT WAS FUCKING AWESOME

Edit: I'm coming back to spill my excitement.

Okay so we can hear the intro clearly now and obviously, it's beautiful. Whenever they play it live it makes my heart stop for a second and on this recording my heart stops for a good minute, through the entire intro, hah! ToshI's vocals are awesome... love the guitar, the drums... that drum roll after the first chorus gets my blood pounding. The song overall sounds louder and harder now that it's an official recording, too. I'm really detecting that edginess Yoshiki has been talking about... Um... just yeah. Beautiful, rocking song. Love the ending too! How it gets messy and then just stops... Very ~dramatic

It's 5am here.. People need to wake up so they can spaz with me..!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 11:22:52 AM by returner »

Offline Hyunkel

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 11:52:36 AM
It's to finally hear a studio version of this song, I really like it.

Can't wait to hear a same quality recording of Without You!

..Close your eyes and I'll kill you in the rain...

...Art of Life An Eternal Bleeding Heart...

Offline friday

• Moderators
  • Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 01:52:44 PM
The drums sound great, and as returner emphasized, you can definitely hear the 'edginess' that Yoshiki has been talking about... But... The simplicity of the guitars when they kick in has bothered me since they started playing BTBF live. It just sounds so amateurish, which is infuriating because the rest of the song which follows doesn't sound like a six year old playing a riff with one string. I prefer Jade (and what shitty live recordings of Beneath the Skin are floating around) to BTBF, but BTBF is definitely an improvement over I.V. and Yoshiki's new (new? 2010?! Ha!) edgy style.

MODERATOR'd!

Offline YoshToshBGosh

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 03:41:59 PM
I'm not a fan of the song, but it sounds incredible, great production. And Yoshiki put in a female spoken word interlude, that's a first timer, ha

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: October 13, 2015, 04:48:07 PM
Now that was killer! Really hoping we also get a title, cover, and track list in November.

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: October 13, 2015, 08:08:44 PM
The production is great but I agree that the guitar work sounds amateur apart from Sugizo's solo. Honestly, I think the female passage ruins the song too. Jade outshines this song in my opinion.

Offline magucathy

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: October 13, 2015, 09:28:22 PM
The first time I heard the song some years ago (I think it was a live version?) I didn't like it at all.
But I really like this version, the more I hear it, the better I think it is.

I still don't know if I am dreaming or not…. but, it really seem like we will get the new album in March.  ;)

Offline denx

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: October 14, 2015, 08:37:30 AM
Anyone try to listen what he sings.. Especially the woman talking part

Ex denxdenx

Offline Kurenai_Akari

• Fan
  • Toshimitsu Deyama fan
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter profile
Reply #19 on: October 14, 2015, 09:10:53 AM
Here's a very condensed version of my thoughts on the song:

- First off, wow, I did NOT see this one coming at all. I totally thought that "Kiss the Sky" or "Hero" was gonna be the new single. Color me surprised!

- I think BTBF is fairly grounded as a song. Nice piano intro, nice drum work from Yoshiki, nice vocals from ToshI, kick ass bass from Heath, but weak guitar solo over all (It took three or four play throughs to see what some of you guys were saying).

- The spoken word part was there in the Nokia Live version & here in this one. I didn't care for it then & I don't care for it now.

- Cover is not misogynistic at all & I agree with CreepyKlutz in the sentiment that the cover is like "Jade" in a sense. (Also, if we're gonna get a little off-topic on PC stuff & get offensive, I'd like to point out that the cover for the "I'll Kill You" single is waaaaaaaaay more offensive than the cover for BTBF. Just sayin'. Pictures of war crimes are more freaky than some routine BDSM stuff that have graced the X Japan albums.)

I'm not a fan of the song, but it sounds incredible, great production. And Yoshiki put in a female spoken word interlude, that's a first timer, ha

Wasn't there one in "Art of Life"?

Offline Kurenai_Akari

• Fan
  • Toshimitsu Deyama fan
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter profile
Reply #20 on: October 14, 2015, 09:22:30 AM

You got me curious. I'll type up what I hear.

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: October 14, 2015, 09:27:28 AM

This is my go at it. I put [] around a word I couldn't figure out at all and (?) after a word I thought I heard that way. Hopefully they'll release a lyrics booklet with the official album because all the fans are always asking about the lyrics  ;)

Touch the stream of ember red
Seize the light and don't let the fucker blind you
Close your eyes, you'll see the sight
Where the sun will be free to shine

Born to be free (free forever)
Born to be free (now and forever)
Nobody can steal our life away (steal our freedom away from ourselves)
Born to be free (we won't surrender)
We'll be forever free to love

Cut the leash but feeling dead
Try to hide and try hard to dive
Into the shadow of the butterfly
Where you heart will be free to cry

Just breathe in love, breathe in life
You'll seize the world of difference
You'll cross the line, it's endless
As if destiny has its own mind
Its love covers me with blindness
Its hatred cuts through the skin of shallowness
But I won't run... I will rule

Born to be free
Born to be free
Nobody can steal our life away
Born to be free
Born to be free
We'll be forever, be free to love

« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 09:23:36 AM by returner »

Offline Kurenai_Akari

• Fan
  • Toshimitsu Deyama fan
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter profile
Reply #22 on: October 14, 2015, 09:32:52 AM
Returner beat me to it, but here's my take on it. Parenthesis () are words that I'm hearing two different words on, brackets [] are back-up vocals.

Touch the stream of endless (amber) red
Seize the light and don't let them fuckin' blind you
Close your eyes, you'll see the signs
Where the sun is free to shine

Born to be free, born to be free
[Free forever. . . Now and forever. . .]
No one can steal our freedom
[. . . steal our freedom. . . it's now or never. . .]
[Free forever. . . We won't surrender. . .]
We'll be forever free to run

Cut the leash of feeling dead (dread?)
Try to hide and try not to die
Into the shadow, the butterfly
where your heart is free to cry

Nobody can steal our life away!

“Just breathe enough
Just breathe in life
This is the world of difference
You cross the line that's endless
As if destiny has it's own mind
it's love covers me with blindness.
It's hatred cuts through the skin of shallowness
But I won't run, I will roam”

Nobody can steal our life away
We'll be forever be free to run!

Nobody can steal our life away!

Offline YoshToshBGosh

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: October 14, 2015, 11:12:15 AM

It feels to me as if there was one in a lot of songs, thus the "ha" above.

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: October 14, 2015, 11:20:48 AM

It feels to me as if there was one in a lot of songs, thus the "ha" above.

I think Art of Life is actually the only song there's been a female spoken word interlude? Unless you wanna count "the sadness crosses my mind" from Sadistic Desire. There is Love Replica that has all the female talking in french but that's not an interlude. So 2 songs out of 47 really isn't... you know... but correct me if I'm wrong! I really like it in this song

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: October 14, 2015, 11:32:20 AM
Well guys.... the 24hr stream has officially come to an end. That was really awesome that they let us have that. It makes me really excited for the album release. Do you think there will be a music video?

Offline YoshToshBGosh

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: October 14, 2015, 10:00:57 PM
There's the concert intro, but I think in my mind I also counted Yoshiki's spoken word interludes, he sounds so Michael Jackson-style there - Dahlia, Last song, Longing.... can someone help me with Violet UK songs? I'm sure there's been spoken word stuff too  ;)

Offline Kurenai_Akari

• Fan
  • Toshimitsu Deyama fan
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter profile
Reply #27 on: October 14, 2015, 10:04:10 PM
Well guys.... the 24hr stream has officially come to an end.

But returner, the ride will never end because someone uploaded it on YouTube.

That was really awesome that they let us have that. It makes me really excited for the album release.

I agree, it was awfully kind of Yoshiki (or the band) to stream it for us. It's like what magucathy said, it really does feel like the album is gonna happen. I don't know why, but listening to BTBF killed the doubts that I was having. . .

Do you think there will be a music video?

Heck, I hope so! They still have footage from the Club Nokia live & that other version floating around on YouTube, so they could just mash the two versions together & call it a day.

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: October 14, 2015, 10:44:55 PM
Wonder how long this vid will stay up? Thanks!

And the album release is definitely happening... they're not going to cancel the Wembley Arena event (especially now that section A has been completely sold out and there's still 4 months for people to buy tickets) and they can't do the actual event of "X Day" without the album and the documentary.

That's a good point about the MV! Really hope it happens!

Offline Kurenai_Akari

• Fan
  • Toshimitsu Deyama fan
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter profile
Reply #29 on: October 15, 2015, 01:05:38 AM
Wonder how long this vid will stay up? Thanks!
Good question, but I have no idea how to answer that. You're welcome anyways.

And the album release is definitely happening... they're not going to cancel the Wembley Arena event (especially now that section A has been completely sold out and there's still 4 months for people to buy tickets) and they can't do the actual event of "X Day" without the album and the documentary.
Ahh, anything can happen between now & X Day. We can only hope that things go smoothly from now until then. But as I said before, listening to BTBF kinda restored my faith in the prospect, so I'm becoming a little more hopeful as the days pass.