• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Info about hide

LEMONedMe · 3577

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
on: January 01, 2018, 05:03:27 AM
I didn't see this posted nor mention of things that are said in this video and don't know where else to put it.  So I decided to create a thread.  There is interesting information, here.  This first video was shot the day before hide died.  And it tells some things about his lyrics and his hats.

Seems his lyrics always contained some proverbs and that's maybe why to some, they didn't make sense? If we don't know this type of proverb, how would we know? It's something I have decided to try to study.  It is called 4-kanji proverbs.  I want to learn about 4-kanji proverbs and what they really are and how to apply them to my own life if that's possible.  Like these, I guess? Looks good but must find out much more.  http://www.saiga-jp.com/japanese_4idiom.html

Also, the hats... he claims his head was shaped too long? Hahahaha ok. I am not believing that but maybe he really thought so.  So he says that's why he always wore a hat (or a wig, I guess).

Pretty interesting stuff in here, anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwQcY2i_ttQ

Sometimes our tears blinded the love
We lost out dreams along the way
But I never thought you'd trade your soul to the fates
Never thought you'd leave me alone

Teemeah

Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 10:39:36 AM
I think this was already known about him :) The 4-kanji proverbs are like the Chinese 4-hanzi proverbs, it basically means that really long meanings are conveyed in basically 4 syllables, which made hide's lyrics a pain to translate (and nowadays, to subtitle...). I think it's kind of lazy to use these in lyrics, it's not very poetic to just use proverbs, LOL, but this is only my opinion. To me, hide's lyrics an unintelligible anyways. I love the dude but his lyrics sucks :D As much as we stone Yoshiki for using similar imagery (roses, rain etc), his lyrics are at least kind of poetic. It's like hide was writing lyrics fully drunk, or something. :) Or maybe it's just too abstract for me, but I rather not know the meaning of his songs, really :D

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 12:27:26 PM
Well, I do like his songs even if they don't make a whole lot of sense.  :P :)

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 10:21:59 PM
Interesting. I always thought his lyrics were 100% nonsense.

As for his face shape, that dude had a bunch of weird complexes about his image. Wouldn't surprise me if he had a weird complex about his face, even if he had a virtually flawless asian Barbie visage.

Woah, I can haz admin colour.

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 12:59:16 AM
When he had some makeup on, he did have a flawless face or at least to me.  I don't care for most men that some women find attractive - the hunk, hulking kind.  I like shorter, slimmer men with pretty faces.

I think he was just so lovely.

To me, this is an image of perfection.  That's just me but my God, how lovely he was. 

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 09:07:56 AM
I'm not into men nor do I feel even remotely attracted to japanese rockstars from the 90s but I have to admit that dude looked like an asian porcelain doll with his his high cheekbones and dainty nose. Would totes have pinched him in the cheeks.

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 10:09:53 AM
Interesting. I always thought his lyrics were 100% nonsense.

Seriously?
I found some translations of his songs and they seem OK for me, albeit the poetry and metaphors. Some of them are are understood differently by some people, like Pink Spider. I remember the first time I listened to it, found a translation on some sites and people were saying that it was his "suicide letter". I think is a song about envy/jealousy.
I found some translations and they look quite interesting for me, but really

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 11:00:22 AM
Pink Spider is an exception. That was a good song. The others might not have been that bad, maybe I've just been reading shitty translations. Also, he wrote poetry. If the translations are accurate, he was pretty good.

Teemeah

Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 11:39:12 AM
Yeah, Japanese lyrics are difficult to translate. The whole language is kind of difficult to translate properly, and in poetry/lyrics, grammar is usually the last thing the author takes into consideration. I have a friend who studies Japanese at uni, spent quite some time in Japan, and she translates J-rock songs to Hungarian straight from Japanese. She says that it's really like deciphering some secret code. Some artists are even more difficult than others, because they like relying on strange imagery or word orders, and even native Japanese might have a difficulty in understanding what the lyrics meant. Then add poor quality English translation into the mix and there you go. :D

Not that Yoshiki's English lyrics would make perfect sense, I was subtitling We Are X into Hungarian and man, I had a hard time with the lyrics of Jade. As a starter, there are different interpretations of what words Toshi actually is singing, different lyrics sites give different versions, and listening to the song doesn't make it clear, either. I had it checked by English native speakers and they were like, oh well, I have no idea what that could mean :D so I was scratching my head like, OK, how do I interpret this line, then? Like the line " 'til your God stole you from the edge"; other sites cite it as "Til' your gods stall you from the edge". Neither if them makes any real sense in English. I went with "stole" and interpreted it as "til your God pulls you back from the edge".

Now try interpreting hide's lyrics.:D ahahahha

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 11:52:59 AM
Several sites have that line of Jade as "Til' your gods stall you from the edge" which makes more sense to me.  Using the word, stall, would mean to temporarily stop someone from jumping off the edge.  It would mean something quite similar to "til your God pulls you back from the edge" but with stall, it's a temporary stop, not permanent.  I am thinking that's what was meant, there.

Teemeah

Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 11:57:57 AM
Yeah the thing is that it's just guessing. Also, stall is grammatically incorrect in that sentence (either till your god stalls, or til your god stalled). So whichever it is, both are weird.

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 12:18:33 PM
Yeah the thing is that it's just guessing. Also, stall is grammatically incorrect in that sentence (either till your god stalls, or til your god stalled). So whichever it is, both are weird.

Think of it as "Til' your gods (insert any of these words in place of stall as they mean the same [   obstruct, impede, interfere with, hinder, hamper, block, interrupt, hold up, hold back, thwart, balk, sabotage, delay, stonewall, check, stop, halt, derail] you from the edge" and then it's not incorrect.

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 01:45:19 AM

Think of it as "Til' your gods (insert any of these words in place of stall as they mean the same [   obstruct, impede, interfere with, hinder, hamper, block, interrupt, hold up, hold back, thwart, balk, sabotage, delay, stonewall, check, stop, halt, derail] you from the edge" and then it's not incorrect.

And on the first times they played Jade, this verse was something like "the dream of life... feel it disappear".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-771gyUcpds

Is not the first time Yoshiki changes lyrics (like he did with Dahlia, Longing, Standing Sex...)

Offline Fullmetal-Hana

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 05:00:40 PM
When he had some makeup on, he did have a flawless face or at least to me.  I don't care for most men that some women find attractive - the hunk, hulking kind.  I like shorter, slimmer men with pretty faces.

I think he was just so lovely.

To me, this is an image of perfection.  That's just me but my God, how lovely he was. 

I feel the same way  :)