• Welcome to the X FREAKS forum!
    Please read the rules :)
  • Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

avi to mpg conversion

Guest · 2815

PanthereNoire

on: March 11, 2007, 11:59:32 AM
Because - i don't know why - I can't get avis to play (and I tried on at least half a dozen different PCs; it's been driving me NUTS), does anyone know of a good and preferably free avi to mpg conversion software?

Any help much appreciated.

Offline xScQ

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • We are U.N.I.T.E.D!
Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 12:45:58 PM
depending on what the origin of the AVI is, AVI's need a crapload of codecs. Are you sure you have them all?

PanthereNoire

Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 12:57:17 PM
I don't even know what a codec is . . . so, very likely I don't have them all, but I also have absolutely no idea what I need. :(

That's why I was thinking just converting to mpg would be easier, even if file size is bigger or quality goes down a little.

PanthereNoire

Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 01:07:56 PM
I though windows media player doesn't handle avis at all?

I was trying with quicktime and that kept sending me to a page with a dozen or so additions without saying which ones I needed so I ended up using somewhat impolite language but giving up on trying to watch avi format.

Offline alex

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 01:13:42 PM
Download this media player.

http://www.videolan.org/

VLC is the best media player in my opinion and it already includes the most common codecs. If you still want to use Windows Media Player you're going to have to get a few codecs, if so let me know and I guess I can pick out a few.

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 01:17:29 PM
True, VLC is pretty decent, and you can make screencaps with it, as well.

RIP

PanthereNoire

Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 01:42:21 PM
Thank you, alex, I'll try that out tomorrow (it's getting late here now and I don't feel like getting frustrated again in case it doesn't work) and I'll ask again if it still doesn't work.

Offline Valentine

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 04:47:30 PM
Or possibly, a program called Super could maybe work too, as it provides a lot of choices for converting between various formats... I'll try finding links for that ASAP.

'll save you from yourself. Fly...

PanthereNoire

Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 02:31:50 AM
Just reporting back that I finally had the time to actually download and try VLC media player and it actually WORKS.

Thank heavens for small favours and thank you everybody who tired to help here.