X Freaks Forum

News:

• Welcome to the X FREAKS forum!
    Please read the rules :)
  • Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

The longest speech in Pata's life (I guess)

SarahAlex · 8357

Poll

Do you like Pata's voice?

Yes.
9 (60%)
No.
0 (0%)
I don't care about his voice, he's a guitarist!
6 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: May 06, 2008, 10:17:05 PM

Offline SarahAlex

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
on: May 06, 2008, 10:17:05 PM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uba3iw9kxb0[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBxAD1VCcRI[/youtube]

SarahAlex - the devil's advocate

Offline MIHO

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 09:25:17 AM
I love it when he talks :D

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 11:33:39 PM
Yes. Nice voice, I love it too when he talks so much :-). But what did he say? I understand nothing. I just see that he is laughing while talking. Someone can translate what he says?

Offline miza

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 09:30:51 PM
Yep, he has a nice voice... I love it too  ;)
I would also want to know what he's saying there, I can only understand one word here and there  :P

ben

Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 05:16:05 AM
Apparently he's talking about X, Yoshiki, recording in the studio or something like that; I don't understand it, I just remember seeing a brief translation of this before somewhere.

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 12:33:07 PM
Someone can please translate for us what Pata is saying on 'this longest speach in his life'?

Offline Max

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 11:33:55 AM
I translated the first part of the Pata’s interview.
I hope you enjoy it ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
-- After graduating from high school
Pata: Well…, I was doing a band. Then, one day, I realized that I had become a professional musician.  “Professional” sounds strange… but I had done a debut.

-- Trigger for participation in X
Pata: Well…, before that, I was in another band. We didn’t have a drummer because the former drummer had dropped out. I asked my friend “Is there anyone?”, and he said “I think the drummer of a band called X is free because there’s no other member.” So, I asked him to help us and we performed together in a live show about three times. Then finally, I was thinking of poaching him, but I realized that it had become reverse. Then the band broke up.
Umm…, I was thinking of getting him join in the band, but it had become reverse when I realized it. It was like, we were playing together but the name of the band was different.

-- Twin guitars
Pata: Around the time when I was a high school student and trying to make original songs, we were twin guitars. After that, I was on a single guitar…, so I’ve never experienced being on twin guitars other than the band in high school and X.

-- Division of roles between twin guitars
Pata: Division of roles…, there are. In X, HIDE did detailed works, so I just played riffs and solos.
We divided solos between us, and also, there were harmonies.
I said to him “This tune is fast, so you play it”, or “This tune sounds complicated, so you play it”.
HIDE was more like a melody maker, so he more often played melodious solos of ballads.

-- Were you attentive to each other?
Pata: I wasn’t, but conversely, he made himself fit in with me. We had similar tastes in band music, like old grade-B heavy metal bands and others, so I think he made his sound fit in with mine. When he said “This (Pata’s) sound is good”, he was trying to do something saying “What should I do …?”
There were many harmonies in melodies, so the nuance would change if our sounds were too far from each other. So, I think he brought his sound close to mine to some extent though it would have been boring if it had been the same.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 05:23:29 PM by Max »

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 12:01:52 PM
Thanks Max!!!
You are an angel!
Finaly we know what he is talking about and we know about division of roles in X, I have never known how they did that division of roles.
Very interesting interview!

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 04:37:09 PM
Thanks again Max! Can't wait for the rest of the interview :)

This is my administrator color.

Offline Le Psyence

• Sunday Listener
  • supersonic slimy dance
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 06:38:05 PM
Wow thanks for the vids and the translation....

I find it very funny that Pata talks without moving his mouth.....xD

In dazzle, I was ready to be destroyed under the power, was invisible.
When I saw the truth, I heard my ghost cry...

Offline ashtrayxx

• Sunday Listener
  • X fan since 2000.
    • View Profile
    • flavors.me
Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 11:30:47 PM
Thank you so much!!!

Offline Max

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 02:46:25 PM
More than two months passed since I posted the first part... I wonder if there’s anyone who was waiting for this...
Anyway, here is a translation of the second part of the Pata’s interview.
There are a lot of technical terms and expressions in his talk and I don’t know much about musical equipments and playing, so please excuse me if there are any misunderstandings or inappropriate translations.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Have you always been using Marshall's amplifiers?
Pata: I’ve used another one for a while, it was like a programmable power amp, just for a moment. But it was no fun, and I felt relieved so much when I sounded Marshall’s.
So, I decided not to use another one after I tried once or twice, because I would end up getting back. After all, I like this.

-- How about HIDE?
Pata: He used Marshall’s at first. But afterwards, he started to use different ones.
I don’t know well the details of his stuff in the latter period. I was seeing those thinking “Oh, there are lots of stuff”.

-- Effects pedals
Pata: Well, I’m not really interested.
When I played a live show, a PA engineer asked me to make the volume a little louder when I played solo parts. Since then, I’ve been using something like a pre-amp in order to add a little distortion and to make the volume louder only when I play solo parts.
What I like are just phaser and wah. I still don’t know well how to use delay. I haven’t been interested in such kind of effects pedals at all since early time. I certainly think they are convenient when I’m using them, and also think it’s amzing when I listen to other people playing with them. But I cannot manipulate them by myself... I just don’t try to do that, though. I kind of get tired of it. But they are necessary, you know? So I use them.

-- Picks
Pata: I used to use hard ones. The hardness changes depending on the angle, you know?
Soft ones are soft, but it becomes harder when you insert a pick at an angle. At first it was difficult for me to play riffs in up-tempo tunes, but as I got used to using them, I learnt to change the length of pick to hold. It becomes harder when you hold it leaving its tip short, and it makes the sound different when you hold it leaving its tip long.
So, I think it’s unexpectedly convenient once I get used to using them. Very few of my friends use them.

-- Strings
Pata: I guess my current set is a heavy bottom beginning from 010. It begins with 010 and ends with maybe 048 or 050. I’ve forgotten...
I used a normal set beginning from 011 for a while, because I sometimes felt it was hard to do string bending when I didn’t feel well.
When I bought the 1959 Les Paul, the pitch was a little unstable because the tension was a little too low, so I though of using thicker ones for low sound strings. When I played the open string of E, the pitch went a little up or became unstable, so I changed the strings to thicker ones.

Offline MiXu

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 08:24:02 PM
I love it how Pata says he's not interested in effects.. Keeping it simple.

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 08:38:59 PM
Thanks for the translation, though I also didn't understand much :D

This is my administrator color.

Offline XVikyX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 10:54:11 PM
aw, thank you for the translation, Max! Finaly I can understand what he says ~^^~

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. (c)

Offline elanor

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 09:13:57 PM
Thank you again,Max for the translation, very kind of you

Humans need to believe in things that aren´t true. How else can they  become? (Terry Pratchett -Hogfather)

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: November 07, 2017, 02:08:03 PM
Hi Max,

You may not come here much anymore but if you do, I wanted to tell you I understood what you were saying with the translation.  I was married to a lead guitarist and our house was full of equipment - everywhere! LOLOLOL! I do understand the importance or not, of using pedals and that the different kinds cause different sounds from the guitars.  Also the amps - yea, Marshalls are usually preferred if people could afford them but there are other brands out there on the market that are very good, too.  It mainly depends on the guitarist and the band as well and what they want to hear from their guitars plus what the rest of the band wants, too.

Thank you much!  :)

Sometimes our tears blinded the love
We lost out dreams along the way
But I never thought you'd trade your soul to the fates
Never thought you'd leave me alone