Author Topic: Alcohol?  (Read 6845 times)

matsumoto

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Alcohol?
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2017, 01:47:39 PM »
Just butting in to say that yeah, in the early 20th Century people were almost completely unaware of how bad radiation could be for you. Guys who looked/acted unmanly were advised to have radiation therapy on their balls - which obviously didn't work and made them sterile, if it didn't give them testicular cancer or multiple other cancers. Einar Wegener, later known as Lily Elbe, is an example of a guy who underwent radiation therapy for his sexually "deviant" behaviour (was actually transgender). Be glad you are alive in 2017, everyone.

LEMONedMe

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2017, 01:55:09 PM »
I hope that "treatment" for having sexually deviant behavior wasn't forced on him, her? I looked him/her up real quick.  Nice lips! LOL.

Yea, I am glad I am alive in this time although some times seemed to have been a lot better in some ways.  Definitely not all these stupid superstitious things, though, and "treatments".

I have a cousin who is much, much older than me.  When I was a little kid, her mother was taking her to the state hospital for shock treatments.  She would come out of there acting like she was in a trance.  You couldn't speak to her or anything. She just sat there staring straight ahead.  Scared the hell outta me and I'd run off and go into the woods for the day.  ROTLFOL

matsumoto

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2017, 03:07:27 PM »
She was a her, Lily Elbe. They made a fantastic film about her called The Danish Girl, featuring Eddie Redmayne.  8)
It wasn't forced on her but doctors were completely clueless because they'd literally never seen a guy who claimed he was actually a woman. She died during sex reassignment surgery.

LEMONedMe

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2017, 03:24:20 PM »
That's really sad that she died during the surgery that she probably desperately needed, mentally and physically as well.  :(