• XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Chicago Sun-Times article-X Japan

Ulquiorra · 9875

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
on: August 02, 2010, 12:35:08 PM
http://blogs.suntimes.com/music/2010/08/x_japan_theyre_huge_really_and.html

As people said on xwonderland this definatly is the best article on the band.

"Which band in this year's Lollapalooza lineup has accomplished all of the following?

* Sold out a 55,000-seat arena -- 18 times.
    * Created and popularized its own form of glam.
    * Sold 30 million albums.
    * Recorded a classical album with Beatles producer George Martin.

It ain't Lady Gaga."

"For the U.S. jaunt, Yoshiki says X Japan will be "back to basics."

"The bigger we got, the bigger our personalities," he says. "We just want to go back and focus on the rock. Either way, you know, you don't see good rock shows anymore. Rock doesn't sound mainstream these days. We'd like to contribute something to help bring rock back. Rock doesn't have enough drama now. Rap, R&B, dance music has taken that. Our band wants to be a part of bringing that back to rock." He laughs. "But our band has enough drama."

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 01:37:45 PM
As people said on xwonderland this definatly is the best article on the band.
The article was really good, but please try not to mention those weirdos here unless you really really have to.

This is my administrator color.

Offline roseofpain84

• Fan
  • [X Japan] and [Harry Potter] obsessed.
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 02:16:13 PM
Indeed a very nice and optimistic article...^_^

@Hypno: Who are the weirdos? The article people or the forum people? And why calling them that?..I'm not familiar with any of them so I got curious....*in general, I'm too curious for my own good, I know*

Yeah, I'm a Yoshiki fangirl. SUE ME.

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 03:04:33 PM
@Hypno: Who are the weirdos? The article people or the forum people? And why calling them that?..I'm not familiar with any of them so I got curious....*in general, I'm too curious for my own good, I know*
The forum people. I think you know several actually, MiscastDice is one of the most active moderators there. The forum represents the part of X Japan fandom that people often call 'fangirls' (when they mean it in a bad way). They can't stand anything critical (even constructive) comments about any of X's members and are generally weird. In a way, an exact opposite of XRD.

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 03:26:32 PM
^ Haha XRD would be happy to read this :P

...When the morning begins
I'll be in the next chapter...

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 03:42:29 PM
Great article. I hope Greg Kot of the Chicago Tribune also does a feature on X Japan, he's quite a respectable rock critic and would raise more awareness for the band.

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 03:59:20 PM
I'm pretty sure we can expect more coverage after Lollapalooza. Depending on their performance it will hopefully be good!

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 04:03:34 PM
I'm fearing what their appearences will be like. Please Yoshiki, don't come on wearing mascaurer/lipstick, and Toshi Don't wear that bloody white fluffy dress with diamond gloves no matter what song you're performing even if it is one of the ballads, don't wear it!

I know appearences shouldn't matter and its all about the music, but this is a a US audience, and Toshi walking out wearing that..guh, it'll all be over if he does that.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 04:05:34 PM by Ulquiorra »

shane140

Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 05:17:57 PM
I want Toshi to wear the leather coat from hide memorial summit, I always thought he looked cool in that.

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 05:27:05 PM
They'll probably wear something sensible in light of the hot temperature.

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 09:57:06 PM
About the weirdos: I got banned there  :D
Nobody made himself. And I don't know the past of all those things. So I will not judge.
But I don't like the fact to be forced to reply when you are curious to see something. And that is enough to be banned. So, euhhh, yes, don't know what to think about that...It's not my thing, that is sure  :D

For Lollapalooza: well I really liked their recent dressings for those PV's  ;D
But I don't think they will be dressed like that. At Japan Expo, they were dressed really classic style.
(I like the white fluffy dress)

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 10:48:13 PM
Maybe they should wear wedding dresses ;D

Offline xScQ

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • We are U.N.I.T.E.D!
Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 10:59:17 PM

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 11:01:13 PM

Opposite of X Wonderland would mean general X (specially) Yoshiki bashing, wishing they never let go of Taiji and cursing on everything post-Art of Life :(

Offline xScQ

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • We are U.N.I.T.E.D!
Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 11:09:01 PM
Yeah I do that a lot actually  ;D

That's why I moved to XRD, I guess there is a place for everyone. It would be a shame to have X Wonderland and XRD merged here on X Freaks.. what the hell would this place become. You guys are the fresh breeze of air that hotheads like me and perhaps the pink-glasses-wearing fairies on XW need :P

To be on topic, I'm actually mildly excited to see how X Japan will do this week.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 11:11:20 PM by xScQ »

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 11:21:20 PM
:3

Can't believe it's this weekend already! And it'll go pretty fast- tomorrow I'm going to see Mika live and on weekend I'll be camping. So I get back just in time to tune in in time for the Lolla event. And a less than a week after we have the promising-to-be-more-awesome-by-the-minute Nissan lives :)

One can hope that everything goes well and we'll have more news soon!

Offline darkcat21

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 12:27:34 AM
To be on topic, I'm actually mildly excited to see how X Japan will do this week.
I hadn't posted here for a long time but... you? excited? I'm moved to tears.

hi there

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 01:21:23 AM
Question: If X are going to sing about half the content overall in Japanese at lollapalooza (which is the largest exposure they might have for the minute, seeing as they'll be playing in small clubs after this), how are they then going to advertise and convince to the US that their new album is basically 100% english? Are they going to actually have to say "get X-Japan's brand new entirely english album now!"?

Because if they sing half the concert in japanese which Yoshiki seems to be greatly considering then quite a lot of the US public will be left thinking, "what???" it might make the concert go down badly and they'd then have to somehow explain through adverts the songs on the album are actually completely in english, unlike the concert.

With problems like this I really wish Yoshiki had just thought "okay, we've recorded these songs with 90% english specifically for the US market, so its for the best that's what we're gonna play at lollapalooza" ages ago and everything would've been simpler and less worrying.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 01:24:14 AM by Ulquiorra »

Offline Niwatorinator

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: August 03, 2010, 02:25:30 AM
Although Y said that, one would expect that decision would have been made a while back considering rehearsals and the prep work they'd have to do...

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #19 on: August 03, 2010, 02:30:16 AM
Yeasayer (the band that clashes with X Japan's slot) have already played in Chicago this year. There is a chance that hardcore festival folk would rather see a new band than see them again, I believe this is the hipster mentality. Plus they played April 29th which isn't THAT long ago, so unless you're a diehard Yeasayer fan, wouldn't it be more satisfying to check out someone else?

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline Wakyan*

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: August 03, 2010, 04:31:26 AM
Thanks for sharing!

I think Yoshiki sounds humble in this interview rather than the one that appeared in the LA Times. 

I really wish I could go! >:(

Oh, well, I'm really counting on YouTube! lol

WE ARE X!!!!!

Stop my tears. Stop my loving. Kill my memories.

Offline anna_lepard

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: August 03, 2010, 07:25:33 AM
X wonderland forum  XD i can make fun of that forum all day long. and these people on there are complete maniacs XDDD   

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: August 03, 2010, 12:27:18 PM
I kind of noticed the people on xwonderland were a bit ott at times, I didn't really pick up the major fan girlness though, obviously I wasn't paying attention. I'm still going to look for news on there though (as well as xradicaldreamers/other X sites).

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #23 on: August 03, 2010, 12:29:29 PM
I'm still going to look for news on there though (as well as xradicaldreamers/other X sites).
Oh absolutely, so am I.

Offline anna_lepard

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: August 03, 2010, 03:29:18 PM
I don't follow the site.  Before joining here i asked friend what was better forum to join.  And they said xrd or x-freaks.  As when i checked out xwonderland the moderator annoyed me her fangirlisme goes way above my head. It kinds of scares me how people can become that way. 

And it is stupit that you have a number of credits to view posts.  We are all x (fans)  why would we hide stuff for eachother?

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #25 on: August 03, 2010, 05:22:39 PM
We are all one!

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline xScQ

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • We are U.N.I.T.E.D!
Reply #26 on: August 03, 2010, 05:24:08 PM
I hadn't posted here for a long time but... you? excited? I'm moved to tears.

Well, maybe curious is the better word. I see it as a test. If this fails... everything must burn.

Offline drivedrivebaby

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: August 04, 2010, 04:30:41 AM
Nah, not everyone in X Wonderland is an OTT fangirl or a raving loony. I think one of the things is that you've got people of varying ages there, so the youngsters are bound to behave...well...more like youngsters lol.  And if you're attracted to a band member and you mention it (or keep mentioning it) and wish to discuss about them then does not necessarily equate to being a fangirl. I'm a female who is attracted to Heath, and I don't make a point to hide it lol, but that doesn't make me a loony lol. If you want to laugh at me or call me a fangirl for that, then so be it, but IMO at least a fangirl is someone far more extreme.

and btw the credits thing and the requirement to post to see hidden content thing; these are a staple of Chinese forums and they are where I became accustomed to them. X Wonderland is actually a Chinese forum that isn't restricted solely to China. Initially when I joined a few Chinese forums last year I too had a problem with credits and hidden content aspects, and it's not difficult to see why, because they are something alien to western forums. We're used to having everything at our disposal immediately and when it's not, it wouldn't be unnatural to question why and even to be irritated. It's just the Chinese way of doing things, and for the most part they have their reasons, such as the content being something on which the poster has worked hard and they would just like acknowledgement of that by people replying if only to say "thanks" (even if they don't even mean it lol). That's the general mindset of it really.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 04:44:26 AM by drivedrivebaby »

Offline anna_lepard

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: August 04, 2010, 08:59:28 AM
You don't seem to be fangirl to me.  But some are very obsessed. everybody has opinion and one thinks this about Yoshiki or other thinks that..  we should respect everybody opinion . and it piss me off fangirls go nuts if you say something that does not fit their thoughs. i'm not sure i formulated right.

Offline Lee

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: August 04, 2010, 10:21:41 AM
This article doesn't suck. That's a first.