• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

X Japan new song - Born to be Free

Sander · 31701

Offline dilbot

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #90 on: July 08, 2010, 01:17:04 PM
Anyone who is STILL expecting old X are complete idiots.

Old X has been gone since '93. There was little familiarity in Art of Life, and in Dahlia it was nonexistent. Why the hell would you expect it almost 30 years after the fact? In my opinion, this song is the ideal follow up to a post-decade Dahlia. This is the direction that I thought that they would go to when they announced their reunion. They're gettin' old. They don't have that raw youthful vigor that they used to. Nor do they care about the things that they once did 20 years ago. This will greatly affect what kind of songs they will be putting out from here on out. remember that when you critique with "it doesn't sound like OLD X".

What is old x anyways? old x from 10 years ago? or old x from 30 years ago?

80's-'92 = Old X

'93-'98 = X

2007 - = nuX?

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 01:21:03 PM by dilbot »

Offline Wick

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #91 on: July 08, 2010, 06:40:12 PM
I can understand why some don't think it sounds like the "old X".
It's a different style looking at JADE and Born to be free. Both guitar intro's are simple but are a little of beat to make it more interesting (starting just a little later or an extra note is put in).
I think that is a feature of the "new X".
Personally I like most of the older songs of X JAPAN and that's including the DAHLIA album. I don't like their latest two songs and probably because of the simplicity and the less flowing riffs. Many people like it though so it's just a matter taste but I don't think it's getting close to the DAHLIA style...it's the new X :P

The true Way of sword fencing is the craft of defeating the enemy in a fight, and nothing other than this. If you attain and adhere to the wisdom of my strategy, you need never doubt that you will win.

Miyamoto Musashi

Offline sugizo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #92 on: July 08, 2010, 11:12:36 PM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLS_KtcQT5U[/youtube]
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 11:14:26 PM by sugizo »

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #93 on: July 08, 2010, 11:27:49 PM
^Thanks, sounding good! Has anyone worked out lyrics yet?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 04:33:31 AM by mC »

Offline Forever Fades

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #94 on: July 15, 2010, 02:43:26 AM
Born to be free.
Nobody can steal my life away.
Born to be free.
We'll be forever free to love.

Offline peso

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #95 on: July 19, 2010, 12:19:09 AM
Have to say I'm a bit disappointed with the new song
Back in the day when I.V. was released, eventually I learned to like the song and about 2 years ago I listened to it a lot.
But it's 3 years since X Japan reunited and they have made 3 songs (that we know of) so far. I'm just wondering what the fuck is wrong with Yoshiki, he has made 1 song 3 times 'cos all the new songs sound exactly the same. At least before he could make good melodic songs even though even back in the day he used the same pattern for almost all of his songs. If I'd hear any of the new songs on MTV one day without knowing it's an X Japan song, I'd think it's just another generic pussy teenage rockband that we hear on MTV all the time.

They could do better.... a lot better.

Offline X NUT

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #96 on: July 19, 2010, 01:04:06 AM
I'm just wondering what the fuck is wrong with Yoshiki

He's out of ideas. Creativity gone.

Offline purplexpride

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #97 on: July 19, 2010, 07:38:58 AM
Nobody can perfect. Yoshiki can't serve all taste of people. It's not out of my expectation when I see people come out and say how much they dislike a song. It should far better blah...blah...blah... *LOL*

IMO, I don't have any problem. I enjoy the song very much and can imagine how incredible fun when it's performed in live.

Offline dilbot

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #98 on: July 20, 2010, 03:00:20 PM
Back in the day when I.V. was released, eventually I learned to like the song and about 2 years ago I listened to it a lot.
But it's 3 years since X Japan reunited and they have made 3 songs (that we know of) so far. I'm just wondering what the fuck is wrong with Yoshiki, he has made 1 song 3 times 'cos all the new songs sound exactly the same. At least before he could make good melodic songs even though even back in the day he used the same pattern for almost all of his songs. If I'd hear any of the new songs on MTV one day without knowing it's an X Japan song, I'd think it's just another generic pussy teenage rockband that we hear on MTV all the time.

There's a lot of pressure on Yoshiki at this point. This is the point in time where they try to break into the U.S market. All of the new songs are much blander and "safe" mostly due in part for this reason, personally. Rock and metal is pretty much dead in mainstream U.S. Will they make it big over here? In my opinion, they won't. At best they will be the new Lincoln Park. Moderate mainstream success riding on nothing new or groundbreaking mediocrity...and hated on by millions of people for this fact.

I really give out my best wishes to them to get more fans...but I hope once they achieve their desired "quota" they will start taking liberties. Kind of like once X broke through with Blue Blood, they started exploring with the jealousy album. Fuck...that's wishful thinking.

Offline Deep_Red88

• View Profile
Reply #99 on: July 20, 2010, 04:41:25 PM

There's a lot of pressure on Yoshiki at this point. This is the point in time where they try to break into the U.S market. All of the new songs are much blander and "safe" mostly due in part for this reason, personally. Rock and metal is pretty much dead in mainstream U.S. Will they make it big over here? In my opinion, they won't. At best they will be the new Lincoln Park. Moderate mainstream success riding on nothing new or groundbreaking mediocrity...and hated on by millions of people for this fact.

I really give out my best wishes to them to get more fans...but I hope once they achieve their desired "quota" they will start taking liberties. Kind of like once X broke through with Blue Blood, they started exploring with the jealousy album. Fuck...that's wishful thinking.

Yeah, sadly rock and metal (especially metal) is dead over here in the US.  Still, I'm hoping that the band does do well. Best of luck to them, and hopefully they will gain more fans here in the US!

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #100 on: July 20, 2010, 05:26:55 PM
Yeah, sadly rock and metal (especially metal) is dead over here in the US.

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #101 on: July 20, 2010, 08:05:41 PM
Yeah, sadly rock and metal (especially metal) is dead over here in the US.

Haha, more true words are rarely spoken XD

Offline Snapback

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #102 on: July 21, 2010, 10:45:40 AM

Linkin Park has quite a handful of accolades. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linkin_Park_awards

X JAPAN should just turn scene. That's their best chance at success lol

Offline dilbot

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #103 on: July 21, 2010, 11:30:30 AM
More or less the moderate success that I was talking about. But being called the new Linkin Park is not a very pretty label in the long run.

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #104 on: July 21, 2010, 11:57:49 AM
At best they will be the new Lincoln Park.

Not with songs like Kurenai and Art of Life on the album imo.

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #105 on: July 21, 2010, 12:23:15 PM
If you take a cross section of X Japan' fans in Japan you will find a strange mix of people. On one hand X Japan endears itself to metal fans, given it's heavier roots and occasional speed metal epic. On the other it endears itself to younger Visual Kei fans, who are largely enticed by the genre and on another you have the middle-aged women demographic who adore X's ballad music and follow the band in a similar esteem to how middle-aged western women follow rock bands such as Bon Jovi. When I was at the opening night X Japan's reunion shows in 2008 at Tokyo Dome I was sat behind an adult woman with her young daughter, I was sat in front of two teenage girls dressed in Lolita dresses and sat several seats away from two middle aged metal heads. I think that goes some way to explaining the point I'm trying to make.

It's difficult to place X Japan's exact demographic because their diversity has gained them fans from many different sides of the spectrum. I think that their launch into the United States is unlikely to see the band entirely focusing on one style of music, but instead adding to the range which they already cover, as let's face it, a lot of X Japan's back  catalogue now sounds significantly dated - even in the late 90's X Japan sounded like band fresh out of the 80's. We already have a rough idea of what their album is going to entail, and as such I think if we were trying to establish a single demographic which said music would endear itself too we would be looking at a minority of eclectic individuals at best.

As tragic as it may be, I don't think X Japan's success or failure will have much to do with the music they put on out on their new album anyway. I think it's going to have a lot more to do with how much mainstream exposure they get, and appearing at Lollapalooza, in my mind, simply isn't going to be anywhere near enough.

However, my inkling is that there is going to be a product tie-in with Myspace closer to the album launch. Yoshiki has been playing sweet with Myspace's chief operations manager (he was a VIP at the Hollywood filming event in January). So I guess we'll see if and how that transpires.

Offline dilbot

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #106 on: July 21, 2010, 01:17:15 PM

Not with songs like Kurenai and Art of Life on the album imo.

I guess you're right. But in terms of overall success I think they could end up as the new Linkin Park. It depends on what they put out on the tube, and on the internet. And what they want to put out is the current flavour of X. Their first mainstream releases will tag them accordingly, and if it doesn't warrant a person to purchase the album, those songs will have no effect on their success. Then again I'm making a sweeping generalization. Hearsay goes a very long way and I'm sure once X catches a good number of American fans the ball will really start to roll for them.

But this now brings something new to the table. There will be (I broadly assume) a large part of the American fan base that will strongly prefer their older songs to their new ones. Once that happens there will be a large demand for songs that are more along that style. And if X can't deliver something like that or something (dare I say) new and refreshing what the fuck's gonna happen? This new X is gonna be nothing but their success at entering into the American market and the remastering of all their old albums. It's just gonna be a rehash of their old days.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 01:26:15 PM by dilbot »

Offline Maverick

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #107 on: July 21, 2010, 01:37:00 PM
IWhen I was at the opening night X Japan's reunion shows in 2008 at Tokyo Dome I was sat behind an adult woman with her young daughter, I was sat in front of two teenage girls dressed in Lolita dresses and sat several seats away from two middle aged metal heads. I think that goes some way to explaining the point I'm trying to make.

... and that's what makes X special.
Actually, I think it's not so much about gaining more and more popularity. At least not from a fan's POV. I don't care about whether how popular X is anywhere or not really. But isn't it great to see X reaching also their fans outside Japan?
But this is only possible through overseas appearances, though and why should a management promote a band and invest money in it if they don't see any promising profit in it.... plain said. So mainstream back and forth, it also can be very useful in that sense and among the new songs are also some i like very much. To me it looks like they slowly return to their own unique style... even before Dahlia.

Everywhere there flows...... BLUE BLOOD!!

Offline sugizo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #108 on: July 21, 2010, 05:53:40 PM
If you take a cross section of X Japan' fans in Japan you will find a strange mix of people. On one hand X Japan endears itself to metal fans, given it's heavier roots and occasional speed metal epic. On the other it endears itself to younger Visual Kei fans, who are largely enticed by the genre and on another you have the middle-aged women demographic who adore X's ballad music and follow the band in a similar esteem to how middle-aged western women follow rock bands such as Bon Jovi. When I was at the opening night X Japan's reunion shows in 2008 at Tokyo Dome I was sat behind an adult woman with her young daughter, I was sat in front of two teenage girls dressed in Lolita dresses and sat several seats away from two middle aged metal heads. I think that goes some way to explaining the point I'm trying to make.

It's difficult to place X Japan's exact demographic because their diversity has gained them fans from many different sides of the spectrum. I think that their launch into the United States is unlikely to see the band entirely focusing on one style of music, but instead adding to the range which they already cover, as let's face it, a lot of X Japan's back  catalogue now sounds significantly dated - even in the late 90's X Japan sounded like band fresh out of the 80's. We already have a rough idea of what their album is going to entail, and as such I think if we were trying to establish a single demographic which said music would endear itself too we would be looking at a minority of eclectic individuals at best.

This is so true.  Even at the Yoshiki foundation event, I found the demographic mix of the crowd very interesting.

As tragic as it may be, I don't think X Japan's success or failure will have much to do with the music they put on out on their new album anyway. I think it's going to have a lot more to do with how much mainstream exposure they get, and appearing at Lollapalooza, in my mind, simply isn't going to be anywhere near enough.

I agree with this as well but I guess I'm cynical about all this because Asian music has never been accepted here and as much as I think that if anyone can do it, it will be X, I just don't see it happening at this point in time.

As for being the next Linkin Park, people can hate on them all they want for being a sellout/mediocre/too mainstream/whatever, but they are a incredibly successful band.  That kind of success in the West would be mind blowing IMO.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 05:55:59 PM by sugizo »