• Welcome to the X FREAKS forum!
    Please read the rules :)
  • Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Another new Toshi interview

Guest · 7804

shane140

on: January 09, 2010, 12:11:37 AM
Source: http://beatzuk.j-talk.com/     The website of a Japanese music magazine in the UK which officially launched today.   Although, I haven't seen the magazine anywhere over here. I think it might be website only from now on, not too sure.

At 44, Toshimitsu “Toshi” Deyama, is one of Japan’s most famous vocalists, achieving megastar status with the now legendary X Japan, one of the most successful rock acts to come from Japan, with fans across the Americas and Europe. Recently reformed (with Luna Sea guitarist Sugizo replacing the late hide), X Japan are enjoying a successful revival following a World Tour.
Alongside X Japan, Toshi has also performed with other projects, uncluding duets with his wife, Wanku, and rock band, TOSHI with T-EARTH.
The band are instantly recognisable due to the youth of its key members. Drummer, Riku, is only 12 years old, guitarist, Ryu, is 18, and bassist, Kain is 24.
Toshi’s soaring and unique vocals are complimented perfectly by the classic rock ballads of T-EARTH. The band not only have a great sound, they also carry and important message. Toshi’s vocals personify the pained cries of the earth, and the emotion comes across in every song.
What can be understood immediately is that environmental issues are something very close to TOSHI with T-EARTH’s hearts.
beatz UK briefly caught up with Toshi to find out how the journey has been so far and what fans can look forward to from TOSHI with T-EARTH…Toshi, most of your fans know you as a solo artist and, of course, as the vocalist from the legendary X-Japan. For those that have not heard of Toshi with T-Earth, can you please tell us a little about the band?

TOSHI: It is a new band formed last summer with a theme of ecology, environment and the essentials.

Your drummer, Ruki, is amazingly talented for his age. How did you feel when you heard him play for the first time?

TOSHI: I was blown out. (My mind was blown out.) I am moved by his performance as he plays so sincerely with all his might.

Guitarist, Ryo, and bassist, Kain, are also young musicians. Have they had much previous experience playing in bands?

TOSHI: They have had experiences in several bands before, but this is the 1st time for both of them to play in a real professional band.

Toshi with T-Earth were looking for new members who should have “something to contribute to the planet” and Ruki, Ryo and Kain joined the band. How did you decide which applicants would be successful?

TOSHI: I thought such young musician as pure, charming and technical would be the best.

By choosing to work with younger musicians, do you feel that you are more able to reach a younger audience and to share with them your message?

TOSHI: I believe the essentially good music or messages can reach the hearts of all ages and both genders.

Toshi with T-Earth is a relatively new band, starting in June 2008. The band played their debut show in August of the same year, performing at the Busan Rock Festival. New bands often find it difficult to get concerts. Do you think that your previous success as a solo artist and in X-Japan has helped Toshi with T-Earth to book live shows?

TOSHI: Yes, I think so.

Toshi with T-Earth’s songs are rock ballads which convey some very strong emotions, such as in Truth and Touchable Heart. Can you explain the messages that the songs are trying to convey?

TOSHI: That is all about living together.

Toshi with T-Earth is described as an “eco” band, aiming to promote the issue of global warming around the world. Do you feel that you have a responsibility to use your fame to promote this cause, or is global warming an issue which has always been close to your heart?

Do you think that working with a high profile artist, such as yourself, will teach the rest of the band any valuable lessons?

TOSHI: I doubt if being high profile always means being valuable.

When looking back on your career so far, do you feel that Toshi with T-Earth will have a lasting impact on any future career you will have? What will you learn from working in this band?

TOSHI: If such conceptual rock music that we play extend and reach thousands of people, it would be very meaningful, I think.

You have expressed excitement about promoting Toshi with T-Earth’s music in Europe. Are you considering bringing your music to European audiences in the near future?

TOSHI: Yes, very much!

In Europe, and in particular the UK, in recent years there has been growing interest in Asian music. Do you feel that now is the right time for Asian artists to promote themselves in the UK?

TOSHI: Yes, very much!

Which Western artists/bands would you say are influences for the band?

TOSHI: I’m afraid none.

What are your dreams for the future of Toshi with T-Earth?

TOSHI: I am more than happy to perform our music as a band. I want to enjoy what I like very much and will do my best.

And lastly, what message would you like to give to beatz UK readers and international fans of Toshi with T-Earth?

TOSHI: Please listen to T-EARTH music!

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 12:54:49 AM
Thanks for the interview! Sadly not much to read here...

This is my administrator color.

Offline ElefeX

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 02:16:09 PM
Source: http://beatzuk.j-talk.com/     The website of a Japanese music magazine in the UK which officially launched today.   Although, I haven't seen the magazine anywhere over here. I think it might be website only from now on, not too sure.

I saw their MySpace months ago and wondered if there was big enough demand for an actual paying magazine but they never seemed to publish anything so it is cool to see some work from them now. I think originally it was supposed to be a print magazine, then maybe an e magazine but I think they had a few issues with it so it is now going to be more of a website than a magazine. At least thats what their MySpace said.

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=492689153&blogId=525195504

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 05:43:24 PM
*Does Robot Arms*

I'd be dissapointed if Toshi himself actually answered these questions - as if so, he comes across as not being a particularly nice person.

I'm still going the opinion that some Healing World staff member who speaks English answered them, considering the answers are so short, vague and rarely deviate from the same old company rhetoric.

ben

Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 05:56:25 AM
Yes, I think they have one staff member there with the best knowledge of English, who deals with all these enquiries and speaks on their behalf

Offline MiscastDice

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 09:53:28 AM
*Does Robot Arms*

I'd be dissapointed if Toshi himself actually answered these questions - as if so, he comes across as not being a particularly nice person.

I'm still going the opinion that some Healing World staff member who speaks English answered them, considering the answers are so short, vague and rarely deviate from the same old company rhetoric.

*nods* Also, as much as I hate to say this, Toshi claiming that he was "blown out" by Riku isn't exactly the best way for him to discourage the worst rumor going around about him O_O

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 12:00:35 PM
I don't believe the rumour and I know Toshi got a particularly bad deal with the Japanese press for a couple of years after X Japan's breakup, but I think that as of recent he's not doing himself any favours.

I mean, look at his official blog, he doesn't miss a single opportunity to lash out at the press and he doesn't exactly mince his words in the process. He uses some really discraceful language with which to talk about them.

Offline Tanabata

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 05:19:58 PM
I hate to be the one to ask but what rumour are we talking about?

We are X!!!!!

Offline Ashemanu

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 06:04:34 PM
@Tanabata: Probably that the Masaya cult is/was involved in child abuse.

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 06:25:38 PM
@Tanabata: Probably that the Masaya cult is/was involved in child abuse.

I don't think it's as strong as that, but the way in which the sect focusses on reaching out to and cherishing children has raised a lot of negative attention in the Japanese press, the abuse speculation seems pretty much unfounded and simply a case of journalists jumping to conclusions and trying to create a sensation.

The sect does some really weird stuff though. They host numerous events every year to celebrate children and their purity, which usually involves only the children of the members as opposed to just any old kid.

Toshi is still allowed to perform in schools, and does regularly, so in this modern-day safety-concious society he must have passed the strenuous police checks required to spend so much time with children.

Offline Tanabata

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 06:27:20 PM
Thanks for the information.  I didn't know about that...

We are X!!!!!

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 07:02:54 PM
Isn't that an old interview? I have the impression I have read that interview months ago.

For the rest: No, not again all that false rumour about Toshi please. He is such a good person with the heart on the right place. You must be ashamed to believe all those false rumours. If you like X Japan, be gratefull to Toshi!!!

Offline obi325

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 07:06:57 PM
Isn't that an old interview? I have the impression I have read that interview months ago.

lately all of his interviews are kinda dejavu-ic

Offline lucy_bkk

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 01:24:25 PM
is rumor true ?? Masaya cult is/was involved with child abuse ?? disgusting... Toshi should not get himself involved with any organized religious group in future

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 03:14:39 PM
I think it was the other way around, Ami. Toshi was just pulled into the scandal because he worked for them.

This is my administrator color.

Offline darkcat21

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 03:22:28 PM
Yeah, but they didn't do anything wrong either. As Ami perfectly said, some rumours are now true but some still and will remain false.

hi there

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 07:18:07 PM
Well, if it really was Toshi who's been giving these three word long/repetative answers in recent T-Earth interviews, we now know why, and I don't blame Toshi whatsoever.

Offline rafaelo

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 07:37:27 PM
Arigatoo

Offline MiscastDice

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 09:14:02 AM
Well, if it really was Toshi who's been giving these three word long/repetative answers in recent T-Earth interviews, we now know why, and I don't blame Toshi whatsoever.

I never thought I'd agree with you but I sure do. O.O I guess this drama has brought us all together, in its own way.

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 07:04:27 PM
I made it clear almost a week ago now that I've basically changed my entire view on the direction of the band and Yoshiki, I agree with you guys more now, you sound like you don't know that.

But yeah still, all this drama is contributing to that a bit as well.

Well, the only Toshi solo works I'm going to be listening to for a while now are his songs from 1993 up to before he met Masaya, particularly Toshi & the Nighthawks.

Currently playing 'Running Wild'.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 07:13:41 PM by Ulquiorra »

Offline marvelaugusts

• View Profile
Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 05:34:25 AM
Kitanoumi was the most successful wrestler in sumo for the rest of the 1970s. His dominance meant that he was not that popular with the general public, and when he was defeated by underdog Takanohana in a playoff for the championship in September 1975, the audience threw so many zabuton or cushions into the ring in delight that Kitanoumi said he could "hardly see the ceiling."

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: April 08, 2010, 10:48:37 PM
Unless that's some kind of anology, then WTF are you talking about?

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: April 10, 2010, 10:09:38 AM
Unless that's some kind of anology, then WTF are you talking about?

;D ;D I have the same question!!!