• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Toshi's Recent Song Structures

mC · 1649

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
on: July 31, 2009, 11:16:41 AM
With a new T-Earth album and single on it's way, Toshi is one of the X artists that has actually been active in the releasing and creating of new material ever since X Japan reunited last year. I am constantly checking up on his progress, eagerly awaiting his releases. Before X's reunion, I never really paid attention to any of Toshi's past releases after their 1997 breakup. Listening to partial parts of his "healing" music, I found it to be too...slow, and somewhat repetitive. Earth in the Dark changed my opinion.

I have to say that ever since his new music has come through, both his solo stuff and T-Earth, Earth in the Dark has been the only song that I can say contains some magic to it. It doesn't seem to drag on and is well thought out in terms of arrangement. Once I heard this song, I decided to give his past healing music a try and am happy to say, I wasn't disappointed.

Perfect Love, Beautiful Love Song & Inochi are just a few of my favorites. I found his music to be both extremely beatiful and the way he used his voice was amazingly powerful, even if at times it was a mere whisper.

In saying this, I am truely amazed at the songs he preforms now, highlights being his duets with his wife. My only complaint is that I find his music to be highly simple in how they are arranged, turning out being highly repetitive. It is fare to say that most of his solo songs now go for 7 plus minutes and all of them, consist of verse, chorus, verse, chorus, verse, chorus....etc.

When listening to previews of T-Earth songs, you can hear great ideas in each song, but once you listen to the full thing, these ideas are overused, without going through any change.

Don't get me wrong, I love Toshi's music and voice, I just find that if he cut the song times in half, the power and beauty of his music would be more concentrated, not dragged out. Does anyone else feel the same? Opinions on his music would be appreciated!

P.S. After listening to his latest solo song いつまでも in full, it comes in just under 5.5 minutes. It has a beautiful chorus, with a hint of his old healing music singing style coming through. But yet again, it consists of chorus, verse, chorus, verse etc. all the way through.... 

ben

Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 01:21:56 AM
yeah, i understand what your saying. i listen to alot of Toshi's healing music and new T-EARTH.

it just depends on everybody's preference. maybe some people just don't like the solo music because it is too slow or soft.

about the long songs; well, with the orchestra versions, its nice to listen to and attach to the music.. i don't know how to explain it.. just follow Toshi's voice and the strings, its a relaxing sound.