What do you think about X's genre? o_O

~Carmilla~ · 18522

Offline ~Carmilla~

• Sunday Listener
  • ROCK LIKE FUCK!!!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/x_holic
on: October 18, 2008, 11:12:29 AM
So.... Me and MIHO were talking about X's music and then we realized one thing: We have no idea that what genre of music we would place X in!!!

So we'd love to hear your suggestions of X's genre, 'cos we really have no idea!!! XDDD

thannnnnX~~~

WE ARE X!!!

Offline Hurley

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 01:12:24 PM
I've always thought of them as melodic metal. Although some of X's stuff is more rock than metal, most of the stuff they're known of (ballads excluded) is quite clearly metal, and all of X's music is very melodic. :P

Mod color o' mine

Offline denx

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 01:41:01 PM
orchestra rock?

Ex denxdenx

Offline Ba-DiL

• Fan
  • We are X !
    • View Profile
    • My Friendster account
Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 05:47:20 AM
Heavy Metal, Classic Orchestra, Progressive Rock, Speed Metal, Rock Ballad, Visual Kei ...

or maybe, Symphonic Metal and Soft Ballad ?

none of your business ...

Offline HellRaiser

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 09:58:09 AM
I have always thought of them as a power metal band since their music tends to be heavy but yet melodic...but this quite doesn't apply to DAHLIA album, that's more like progressive rock.

Offline MIHO

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 07:20:56 PM
I have always thought of them as a power metal band since their music tends to be heavy but yet melodic...but this quite doesn't apply to DAHLIA album, that's more like progressive rock.

Yeah, they did change a lot o_O
They started as an 80s heavy metal band, but slowly evolved to alternative rock, or progressive rock, as HellRaiser said.

I found this in an 80s magazine tough:

X was tagged as "theatrical metal" and "Slash and Death metal". (I lost that picture tough, if someone wants to see it, I'll try to find it.)
(I love the drawing with "power metal" XDDDD)

But yeah, that was for their 80s period  ;D No idea about their later work.

Offline demonbefriender

• Fan
  • I think I am a banana tree
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal
Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 03:29:31 PM
Haha, those pictures are amazing, MIHO. xD

As for their genre... I always thought of them as being speed metal or thrash metal early on, then went a bit more symphonic metal, perhaps. Dahlia is undeniably progressive metal, though. I've never considered them power metal or heavy metal, though, but maybe my definition of the two are different from others'.

GARBAGE DAY!

Offline Ragna

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 10:59:47 PM
I'd say Power metal.

Vanishing Vision is more Speed, Art of Life more Symphonic metal, and Dahlia hard rock.

But since visual kei is not a musical genre, I can't see progressive anywhere, and heavy is too general... I choose Power.

If it's all dreams... Now wake me up

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 12:01:46 AM
I don't think you can call their ballads power metal?

This is my administrator color.

Offline Hurley

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 01:08:33 AM
I don't think you can call their ballads power metal?

No, but we're thinking of a bands genre, not individual songs.

Mod color o' mine

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 10:35:47 AM
Yeah but they don't just have a few ballads. They have enough for a separate CD and more.

This is my administrator color.

Offline Hurley

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 11:52:57 AM
Yeah but they don't just have a few ballads. They have enough for a separate CD and more.

Just like Kamelot and probably many more. Ballads are usually just something that everyone does in almost every music genre. And still, the majority of X's songs are metal.

Mod color o' mine

Offline nemetroid

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 07:43:59 PM
I'd say progressive / speed metal. I think the name power metal is sort of... tainted :P, by all the bands that sing about dungeons and dragons, and I think that X Japan does not fit into that general image of power metal. However, they fit fairly well into the general musical description.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 07:46:01 PM by nemetroid »

Offline Ragna

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 09:52:57 PM
Well, that's a stereotype. Extracted from Wikipedia:

Power metal is a style of heavy metal music combining characteristics of traditional metal with thrash metal or speed metal, often within symphonic context. The term refers to two different but related styles: the first pioneered and largely practiced in North America with a harder sound similar to speed metal, and a later more widespread and popular style based in Europe (especially Germany, Italy, Scandinavia) and Japan (early Visual Kei bands) with a lighter, more melodic sound and frequent use of keyboards.

Even the "first wave" german power bands' lyrics are not generally about "dungeons and dragons". It's like saying "black metal is all about church burning". :P

In the ballads issue I'm agree with Hurley.

PD: Kamelot rocks ;)

If it's all dreams... Now wake me up

Offline Overdose

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 11:38:06 AM
I've always thought of X as a bit more rock than metal, the earlier albums definately have those rocky elements also with songs like Standing Sex, Sadistic Desire and Desperate Angel.  But as they go on I do agree they sound rather more power metalish with songs like Kurenai and Silent Jealousy.  The the progressive stuff on the Dahlia album.  I'd say its a tough call but I think they warrant some sort of rock/metal label.

Offline nage

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 02:06:18 PM
LMAO at the pics! XDD Wuahaha, Miho.... that's great stuff! XD

May X be with you!

Offline Camazotz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: July 03, 2009, 11:49:19 PM
X metal maybe? xD I don't know :3

I belive if time passes, everything turnes into beauty.

Offline HarZy

• Fan
  • Sex, drugs and visual shock
    • View Profile
    • My Last.fm profile
Reply #17 on: July 04, 2009, 10:06:43 AM
Well, in my opinion (Pre)-Vanishing Vision is speed metal, Blue Blood is speed metal with symphonic elements (some songs are more like hard rock, though), Jealousy is a weird mix of hard rock (Miscast, Joker, Desperate Angel), power metal (Silent Jealousy), speed/thrash (Stab Me In The Back) and ballads (Voiceless Screaming, Say Anything), Art of Life is symphonic/progressive metal and Dahlia is alternative/progressive metal.

In general X should rather be categorized as speed metal or symphonic metal than power metal, though, since they have only one or two power metal songs.

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: July 04, 2009, 11:14:31 AM
Their genre's Ballad, they also play five or six metal songs, sometimes, also four of them contain ballad sections.

Offline X NUT

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: July 04, 2009, 01:17:13 PM
I don't think they can be placed in any one genre. I never regarded them as a power metal band. In fact, none of their songs sounds like power metal to me.

Offline roseofpain84

• Fan
  • [X Japan] and [Harry Potter] obsessed.
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: July 04, 2009, 04:30:04 PM
I'm glad I never cared (and never was able to recognize) about music genres.... ;D

Yeah, I'm a Yoshiki fangirl. SUE ME.

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: July 04, 2009, 07:01:37 PM
Visual Kei? XD

I dunno, back then when X was emerging the kind of music that Visual bands made was very much along the same lines, heavy metal/glam rock with a slightly gothic twist, as the movement developed into the mid and late nineties it definately changed to a point where VK can't be tied down to a genre anymore, it's just fashion.

So with X Japan I'm definately going to say that they are "Visual Kei", as I think they arrived at a time when VK actually stood as a genre, not just eccentric dress-sense.

Offline HarZy

• Fan
  • Sex, drugs and visual shock
    • View Profile
    • My Last.fm profile
Reply #22 on: July 04, 2009, 07:07:35 PM
^VK has never been a genre. I understand what you mean, but visual kei has nothing to do with music, and it never had anything to do with music. The early visual bands could be called shock metal or something.

Offline obi325

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: July 04, 2009, 08:17:28 PM
They are X. What else do you want?

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: July 04, 2009, 09:58:39 PM
Actually to me X/X-Japan (they're one in the same to me, same band) Are the group that actually used to be a metal/power metal/whatever group that had a good balance of Metal and ballad songs, when they played Weekend, Rose Of Pain, Standing Sex, Sadistic Desire, and Endless Rain, Unfinished ect. they showed a good balance of different types of songs showing the different types of songs they could play and the emotions they felt as people and as a band.

To me they've lost that balance, and I don't know why they even still say "psychadelic violence & crime of visual shock" when they, no I'm sorry, Yoshiki has turned his back on every part of that statement.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 10:00:29 PM by Ulquiorra »

Offline X NUT

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: July 05, 2009, 12:26:49 AM
Actually to me X/X-Japan (they're one in the same to me, same band)

I agree with you on this. I never understood the separation between X and X Japan. One and the same.

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: July 05, 2009, 01:08:05 AM
^VK has never been a genre. I understand what you mean, but visual kei has nothing to do with music, and it never had anything to do with music. The early visual bands could be called shock metal or something.

I'm not really understanding your argument, why "shock metal"?

"Glam rock" is regarded as a genre despite being based around band aesthetics, why can't Visual Kei be like that? Especially when all of the early bands dubbed "Visual kei" all musically had a lot of things in common, a lot more things in common than most contemporary "Glam rock" bands. While I regard Visual Kei as being more of a fashion than a genre in this day and age there is no doubt that during X's emergance it was as legitimate as a genre than anything else.

Offline Yu~Kun

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • The Reverse Trail
Reply #27 on: July 05, 2009, 08:59:20 AM
They are X. What else do you want?

Couldn't agree more ;)

PARTY HARD

Offline Camazotz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: July 05, 2009, 06:24:42 PM
To me they've lost that balance, and I don't know why they even still say "psychadelic violence & crime of visual shock" when they, no I'm sorry, Yoshiki has turned his back on every part of that statement.

Why do you think they have lost their 'balance'? They are still X.

I belive if time passes, everything turnes into beauty.

Offline darkcat21

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: July 05, 2009, 07:57:15 PM
why they've lost the balance? they don't play metal anymore, and even now they only play two/three rock songs per show, the rest is all ballads or shit

hi there