Stereotypes you've encountered

ferret · 35662

Offline RoseOfPain

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Reply #90 on: January 07, 2010, 09:46:11 AM
Ah, stereotypes, dont get me started
Many of the stereotypical views that have been named here apply to me but this particular one I love the most:

I have tattoo's and piercings, so, Im a criminal.

I'VE GOT EXTASY, BUT I FEEL THE TEAR IS FALLING DOWN

Offline Neru

• Sunday Listener
  • Somewhere Between Here and There
    • View Profile
Reply #91 on: February 19, 2010, 06:07:24 PM
» hi, I'm portuguese - Portugal is a spanish province right?
I sometimes dress interly in black and I have a crucifix from my dad - I'm a Gothic.
I always have a f*ing serious face while walking alone on the street (it is not something I control)- I'm an arrogant bastard with egocentrism issues.
I listen to Metal and Japanese Bands - I'm a strange bastard A.K.A "The Diferent One".

I have a portion of the left side of the hair longer than the rest - I don't know what people think about this, but they must think I'm crazy.

I love this, sorry to revive an old thread.

The fact that I am a Copy of so many that I admire, makes me feel unique.

Offline Silvia

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Reply #92 on: July 26, 2010, 04:35:41 PM
I love this topic, bump! xD

As for me...

I iron and dye my fringe red > I'm EMO / Visual
I wear black clothes and I'm pale > I'm Gothic
I wear hide's necklace > I love skulls and such
I like to watch asian movies (not the horror ones) > I don't like western movies
I like asian movies > I like horror movies
I like some asian guys > I don't like western guys
I like asian idol entertainment / new visual kei bands > I'm an annoying fangirl who just cares about the looks
I like ballads and my fav CD is Dahlia > I'm an X JAPAN neo fan
I like metal > I don't like pop
I like pop > I don't like metal
(and such xD)
I don't know song's names or lyrics > I'm not a real fan
I don't like to wear provocative clothes > I'm a nun
I don't party, I don't smoke, I don't drink alcohol > I have a problem
I live in Catalonia and I say I'm Spanish > I'm a fascist
I live in Catalonia and I'm not independentist > I don't know what's going on
I live in Barcelona > I like Gaudí
I live in Spain > I listen to flamenco
I'm a graphic design student and I use PC > I'm an anti-apple
I'm a graphic design student > I probably am a mod or posh

Ok and I have a question... why do tourists buy mexican hats in Barcelona? This is something I'll never understand... xD
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 04:37:44 PM by Silvia »

Offline BloodofBathory

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • MySpace page
Reply #93 on: July 28, 2010, 04:56:12 AM
I've heard some pretty bad ones about Belgium before.
A Canadian friend of mine visited Belgium and when she went back home, this is what happened:
"That's a nice coat. Where'd you get it?"
"I bought it when I was in Belgium."
"What mall is that in?"

And another:
"I live in Belgium."
"Is that the capital of Brussels?"

My cousin has a friend from Belgium who she brought to a bbq and introduced once. And when she said he was from Belgium a friend of hers replied "Like the chocolate?"
lmao
I was dying to reply "No! Like the waffles!"

The seven vices I love ~ They are all sweet poison ~ Born from my mouth

Offline XVikyX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #94 on: July 28, 2010, 12:12:28 PM
funny topic ^^
Ive encountered so many stereotypes, but most annoying and ridiculous are:
I wear black clothes, metal accessories, chains and necklaces -> I'm a goth\heavy metall fan\biker (or wannabe)
I have a pair of pink gloves with the black inserts and get a strange haircut -> im emo
I love the German language -> it's ONLY because Im a fan of some German band
I listen to metal -> I'm depressed, tend to suicidal or I'm just a very VERY aggressive person who cannot see bright colours in life
I dont drink\smoke -> I don't know how to have a fun and my life is boring
I read scientific books -> Im must be bore\smart alec xD
Im a vegetarian -> I hate all the people
I live in eastern Europe -> I dont know how to use the internet and PC

now I'd like to know how to overcome stereotypes =D

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. (c)

Offline TheCrimsonIdol

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Reply #95 on: August 30, 2010, 01:30:48 AM
Hmm, let's see

-I have very long hair, so I must be a dope smoking satanist
-I am Canadian, so I must live an igloo

That's about I can come up with for now.

Who do you trust when everyone's a crook?

Offline Tanabata

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #96 on: August 30, 2010, 02:58:22 PM
Yes...

- I'm vegetarian so I don't get enough protein.
- Being a foreigner (in Japan) I could never possibly read Japanese characters.
- I'm Australian so I must have a tan.

Ho hum...

We are X!!!!!

Offline obi325

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #97 on: September 05, 2010, 02:43:42 PM
- Being a foreigner (in Japan) I could never possibly read Japanese characters.

i got the opposite a lot; i know how to speak japanese, so i can read all kanjis perfectly xD

Offline Elfa_Nocturna

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #98 on: February 24, 2011, 03:17:56 AM
Over the internet:

I'm a gamer -> Im not a girl
I'm a girl -> I can't be playing WoW
I'm from south america -> I'm mexican
Spanish is my mother tongue -> My english sucks and I have dark hair, eyes and skin

IRL:

I'm a girl -> i should like women stuff, like clothing and etc
I'm 21 -> I like partying, going to clubs, getting drunk, etc
I'm a graphic designer -> I'm dumb and will only do little drawings for a living ("dibujitos" for whom understands spanish)

Don't remember anything else right now :P

Offline elanor

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #99 on: February 24, 2011, 05:43:01 PM
nice topic
let´s see:
I´m from Germany - they are all very punktual and hardworking
I´m a single mother with a child - ooh, you poor dear one, but some men do like women with children
I´m growing up in the G.D.R. - ah, you only speek russian, because it was forbiiten to speak english
I´m from Berlin - you do really speak proper german, didn´t know you can (somebody from Bavaria, very lol)
I´m a midwife - cool, that´s something with little babies (nope, it something with adult women)
I´m listening to hard rock, metal and goth music - that´s something with the devil, isn´t it?
I´m vegetarian - so, you don´t drink alcohol too

I must say, all that makes my life funny

Humans need to believe in things that aren´t true. How else can they  become? (Terry Pratchett -Hogfather)

Offline vayz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • My kinda music
Reply #100 on: February 25, 2011, 02:21:04 PM
Some people think:
I am snob because I look serious but when I start cracking jokes effortlessly, they are like WTH?
I am ignorant but when to all types of discussions they cannot win over me, they are like WTH?
I like boy bands but when they learn I love X Japan, Incubus, Kyoji Yamamoto, Achan, metal & rock music, they are like WTH?
I am strict to my children and grandchildren but when they tell them I'm a cool Mom and grandmom, they are like WTH?

So I guess my appearance doesn't really say what I am capable of...

ben

Reply #101 on: March 22, 2011, 09:04:42 AM
I only just saw this topic now, but interesting because I've been thinking about this of late.

I don't know whether I really went through any phases, but in my mid 20's now, I'm finding myself tired of trying to satisfy others and just focusing on whatever is important to me, even though that leaves me kind of as a loner.

I don't dress in any trendy styles or as a rock fan or anything, I just dress whatever feels comfortable to me, even if it makes me look 10 years older than I am. Even my parents make fun of me, the way I fix my hair (keeping it neat rather than trying to make it attractive) and how I dress, but as I said I want to be comfortable not wearing tight jeans.

I hate going to clubs because it is boring, makes me tired, gives me a headache being in such a small space with smoke, and worst of all, dealing with groups of drunks, especially drunk girls throwing themselves at you (which I do NOT see as a positive thing, much to the amusement/concern of other guys)

Rather than focusing on a successful career, being rich etc, I prefer putting my interest to film & writing music and philosophy and whatever little things interest me. I certainly do hold a stable full time job in retail I.T, but, particularly for family, its still not good enough or impressive.

I like to watch alot of old films, especially old American gangster/crime films (e.g. from Robert Mitchum to Gene Hackman) as well as alot of old Japanese Yakuza films (e.g. Ken Takakura, Koji Tsuruta, Toshiro Mifune), people wonder why I'm so obsessed about these things especially my collection of Japanese films and how excited I get when, for instance, I'm watching "Midway" and Mifune comes on the screen and I start reeling off his filmography.

I don't talk much, I don't like making jokes (especially immature jokes about someone being gay etc at work). Yes I take things seriously but I do have a personality, I just prefer to listen to other people, I don't like the sound of my own voice.

Alot of these come together also.. e.g. Not going out alongside having an interest in philosophy - Alot of my family members joke that I'm going to be a priest. Not that it's a bad thing if one wanted to be, but they insult me in front of others especially alot of my younger cousins who all have relationships - I am just not willing to go out of my way to amuse a girl or 'entertain' her, I'd rather live a lonely life than 'force' myself to stay with a girl who is not genuine.

Maybe my problem is I can't be stereotyped haha. People can be so difficult and insincere that I just have anxiety meeting new people now. People take it for arrogance or depression but I just find it awkward making small talk and trying to relate to others when I have nothing in common with them and probably don't even have a reason to be talking to them (e.g. some people at work).

Anyway it was nice to read what everyone else had to say, thanks for sharing. Sorry for my long post.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 09:06:26 AM by ben »

Offline XVikyX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #102 on: March 22, 2011, 12:50:24 PM
@ben: I fully agree with you about going to clubs that are crowded with drunk ppl and filled with smoke x_x I think I'd go crazy if I'm forced to visit such a place, haha.
And I find it great when a person just acts in a way that is comfortable to him\her; I believe it to be the only right option, no matter how hard the other people would criticize\ridicule it. Being honest to oneself is a way to happiness.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. (c)

Offline X NUT

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #103 on: March 22, 2011, 05:35:03 PM
ben you sound a lot like me  :)

Offline elanor

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #104 on: March 22, 2011, 08:21:54 PM
@ ben: right you are, keep on being like you are and going on with the things you are interested in, for me it´sounds like you are an adult person at your age, not like so many other here and seems to be where you live too, who acting in their mid20s like just becomming teenagers and in their mid30s like even get 20 and do wondering that they won´t taken serious when they are 40. So it´s luck for people like you and also like me that we do have the www., where we can share our interests and are not depending on the folks living next door.

Humans need to believe in things that aren´t true. How else can they  become? (Terry Pratchett -Hogfather)

ben

Reply #105 on: March 23, 2011, 06:57:47 AM
Thanks for your replies elanor & X NUT & XVikyX

I was expecting I'd be told to 'get real' or get my issues sorted out, which is what I usually got lol so nice to have some people understand for once

Offline SephiValjean

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #106 on: April 19, 2011, 11:03:38 AM
I like Jrock, anime and sushi- i'm a wapanese fantard who hates everything western and uses 'OMG KAWAII DESU' every other sentance. I also get the flipside from anime/Jrock fans for not being a 'proper' fan because I listen to maybe half a dozen bands on any regular basis and only follow anime I actually enjoy rather than whats popular.

I like Gackt, Naruto or any band/anime with 'bishounen' characters- i'm an idiot who's only interested in TEH PRETTY.

I like Asian cinema/ 50s & 70s-era horror- i'm an elitist who refuses to watch anything else.

I dislike Quentin Tarantino movies- I'm only saying it cos i'm trying to be alternative.

I'm an LGBT campaigner- I must be gay

I'm a anti-sexual abuse campaigner- I must have been sexually abused

I have a mental disorder- I'm a hypochondriac or a serial killer.

I have a lot of books on Jack the Ripper- I want to murder people.

one less serious one that i've encounted on the net:

I'm from Nottingham, so I must know everything about Robin Hood!

Do you hear the people sing?

Offline elanor

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #107 on: April 19, 2011, 05:40:55 PM
very lol, SephiValjean, esp. that about Nottingham, and by the way having books on Jack the ripper - is it helpful if I want murder people? ´cos sometimes I really, really want to ;D

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
  • Bokuwa ongakuka, dentaku katateni。
    • View Profile
    • some kind of nerdness...
Reply #108 on: February 09, 2019, 09:43:46 PM
Okay, I think it's my turn now.

1. I'm very small for a man 1,68m. So everyone assumes me to be the funny little guy. It's hard to taken serious, especially in the job. At least in Germany it's most likely that Leadership positions occupied by tall people.

2. I have long hair and am mostly a bit bearded. With the beard it's not a fashion thing, it's more that I'm lazy. And I mostly were clothes from the 90s. Sometimes Convers Chucks with Lumberjack shirt like Kurt Cobain or baggy pants with old school big Skate Shoes from Osiris or brands like that. So, a lot ppl think I'm smoking weed. No I don't! I don't even smoke cigarettes (stopped smoking 11 years ago). Maybe it's also that I play some music instruments, but weed never was my thing. I am the person that is totally confused anyway all the time. And I'm always tired. So for me weed is totally not what I could keep. ^^

3. Since I earn my money let me say... in the computer business I always have to fix the computer of someone. No, I don't know windows. Srsly, can't help you with your problems. I'm on Linux since over 15 years. Sorry (and I don't want to fix your Windows!)

4. Since I call in myself in private conversations with ppl a "hacker" some may get the wrong idea and ask me, to hack in someones Facebook account or something like that. No I can't. At least not on the technical side. Maybe when I use social engineering, but I can't crack (crack! not hack! that is important for us hacker) in a database from Facebook. And to sort things out: A Hacker is person that uses stuff a bit different, away from the original idea of using it. It's like playing LEGO without using the Manual. If you do bad stuff and break into another ones PC or stuff like that, then you are a Cracker, not a Hacker. And there are also Phreaker, but... let's stop here.

positively unsure。