• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

This might belong in covers but..

YusamiUne · 2170

Offline YusamiUne

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
on: July 08, 2008, 05:52:47 PM
I've been listening to Dragonland's cover of Rusty Nail a lot lately. I love this cover and it's one of the best covers that I've heard. I even find myself thinking that it might be a bit of an improvement over the original but that just might be the guitar wanker in me.

I'm just curious as to what everyone else thinks of the cover and if anyone else has caught themselves thinking the same as I.

A Rose is breathing love
in my life"

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 06:16:40 PM
Quote from: "YusamiUne"
I've been listening to Dragonland's cover of Rusty Nail a lot lately. I love this cover and it's one of the best covers that I've heard. I even find myself thinking that it might be a bit of an improvement over the original but that just might be the guitar wanker in me.

I'm just curious as to what everyone else thinks of the cover and if anyone else has caught themselves thinking the same as I.

It's a good cover, but I'm not fond of the vocalist's voice. The other issue I have is that I like the real orchestra recordings used on the original, as opposed to the cheap and cheesy synth which the Dragonland cover puts it place of it.

And while the guitar solo is technically superior to the original in the cover I don't think it's anywhere near as tasteful - it sounds forced and jammed together, and seems to be used as a showcase of "look what I can do that hide and pata didn't". Not that I don't like people showing off, it's just in this case it really didn't do anything for me, and also removed one of my favourite parts of the original :p

Offline MillieQOF

• Moderators
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 06:54:58 PM
I don't like his japanese 8D
I don't remember much else about that cover. Well, it was good and all but not better than the original, I'd say.

Offline YusamiUne

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 07:26:07 PM
A friend of mine has a different opinion than most I hear about the song. She doesn't like it because the vocalist says "Rusty Nail" without a slight "l" sound to the "R". She's a firm believe if it's said with slight engrish, it should be covered engrish :p

A Rose is breathing love
in my life"

Offline Jorge

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 04:07:01 PM
Though I like the Dragonland cover, and listen to it from time to time, I don't think it's that great, and absolutely don't prefer it over the original.