• XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

New rules

Sander · 49942

Offline friday

• Moderators
  • Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #60 on: June 12, 2008, 04:36:35 AM
Everyone should be intitled to their opinion on this forum, but putting "JRR sucks" or whatever in a signature? Come on, its obvious that its just there to piss people off... If anyone wants to voice their opinion, go ahead! But having "JRR sucks" after every post... Okay, we get it, you hate JRR. No need to rub it in our faces everytime we read one of your posts...

MODERATOR'd!

Offline MiscastDice

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #61 on: June 12, 2008, 05:14:14 AM
Quote from: "friday"
Everyone should be intitled to their opinion on this forum, but putting "JRR sucks" or whatever in a signature? Come on, its obvious that its just there to piss people off... If anyone wants to voice their opinion, go ahead! But having "JRR sucks" after every post... Okay, we get it, you hate JRR. No need to rub it in our faces everytime we read one of your posts...

Actually, I think people declaring their views in their signatures is somewhat cool in that it makes clear issues that, if brought up with that person, will only lead to an irrational flamefest, and it also shows the person's biases. Even if it's something I hate, I would argue for their right to say it if only that it makes it easy to know where they're coming from.

For example, while I would find a signature that read "hide was a mentally ill attention whoring drag queen and couldn't write lyrics to save his life and stole Yoshiki away from his true love Toshi!" absolutely fucking infuriating as a hide fan, I would also find it as a warning to avoid the poster with that sig or at least not discuss anything involving Yoshiki, hide, Toshi, fanfic, or 1996-98 with them.

Offline SarahAlex

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
Reply #62 on: June 12, 2008, 06:21:18 AM
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."
Voltaire

SarahAlex - the devil's advocate

Offline Lucs

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xploson
Reply #63 on: June 12, 2008, 07:06:55 AM
Quote from: "MiscastDice"
Quote from: "friday"

Actually, I think people declaring their views in their signatures is somewhat cool in that it makes clear issues that, if brought up with that person, will only lead to an irrational flamefest, and it also shows the person's biases. Even if it's something I hate, I would argue for their right to say it if only that it makes it easy to know where they're coming from.

For example, while I would find a signature that read "hide was a mentally ill attention whoring drag queen and couldn't write lyrics to save his life and stole Yoshiki away from his true love Toshi!" absolutely fucking infuriating as a hide fan, I would also find it as a warning to avoid the poster with that sig or at least not discuss anything involving Yoshiki, hide, Toshi, fanfic, or 1996-98 with them.

This is totally ridiculous.

Come on, do you know respect ? What's the point of saying shit about something you don't like ? Just pissing off the people who like it !

For example, I don't really like Taiji (I don't hate him or anything, it's just that he doesn't really interests me), have you ever seen me saying shit about him ? NO, why ? Because I totally respect the people who likes him.

I just don't go in the "Taiji" section.

It's all about respect.

@SarahAlex, of course people are free to talk, but don't you think sometimes they could just show some respect and not say some things that would be direspectful to anyone ?

Again, saying "JRR sucks" is stupid, childish, useless... not CONSTRUCTIVE.

Offline Anna

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Tsurezuregusa
Reply #64 on: June 12, 2008, 07:52:55 AM
I'm afraid that sometimes it's pretty hard to "not say some things that would be disrespectful to anyone", because sometimes one really has to express a thought that will hurt either one person or another. These are dangerous waters and if I am supposed to tiptoe around every single thing - well, then there's not much reason to say anything. That has nothing to with respect - respect is one thing, but continuously restraining yourself from saying things that "would be disrespectful to anyone" is close to impossible.

However, I agree that attacking JRR on every single occasion with signs or constant "was it approved by JRR?" is IMO rather stupid and tiresome and I personally think it should stop. On the other hand, I think that when there is a true reason, we should be entitled to express our opinion on JRR, as it is indeed closely connected with X-Japan (as Hollywood said). And if the opinion is negative - well, I am quite sure that many of us can make our comments very CONSTRUCTIVE.

Pony rocks!

Offline Lucs

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xploson
Reply #65 on: June 12, 2008, 09:25:13 AM
Quote from: "Anna"
I'm afraid that sometimes it's pretty hard to "not say some things that would be disrespectful to anyone", because sometimes one really has to express a thought that will hurt either one person or another. These are dangerous waters and if I am supposed to tiptoe around every single thing - well, then there's not much reason to say anything. That has nothing to with respect - respect is one thing, but continuously restraining yourself from saying things that "would be disrespectful to anyone" is close to impossible.

Of course, but writing "hide sucks" or "JRR sucks" in your signature is something that is not too hard not to do. That was my point. :)

Offline Anna

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Tsurezuregusa
Reply #66 on: June 12, 2008, 09:34:51 AM
Well, the point was taken, as you can see.

Pony rocks!

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #67 on: June 12, 2008, 09:47:01 AM
Quote from: "Hollywood"

But given that JRR is supposedly run by Yoshiki-- or, at the very least, Yoshiki is closely affiliated with it-- how is it even offtopic to talk about one of Yoshiki's projects on an X forum?  In this respect it's hardly any different from talking about Extasy Records or something.

Then talk about Yoshiki's projects, will you? What I've seen regarding JRR so far were mostly "snarky" comments about how uptight the rules of their forum are (a fact that has NOTHING to do with his projects).

And thank you, Lucs! I didn't know respect was such a new concept for some people here, it's been around for quite some time now.

RIP

Offline Hollywood

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/363181252
Reply #68 on: June 12, 2008, 06:11:03 PM
Quote from: "ferret"

But given that JRR is supposedly run by Yoshiki-- or, at the very least, Yoshiki is closely affiliated with it-- how is it even offtopic to talk about one of Yoshiki's projects on an X forum?  In this respect it's hardly any different from talking about Extasy Records or something.

Then talk about Yoshiki's projects, will you? What I've seen regarding JRR so far were mostly "snarky" comments about how uptight the rules of their forum are (a fact that has NOTHING to do with his projects).

JRR is one of Yoshiki's projects, ergo, the official JRR forum-- a part of the official JRR website-- is Yoshiki-related.

This is an excellent illustration of the problem with the (very aptly-numbered) Rule #2.  Whether you or others find the JRR posts personally annoying or not, the fact is that 1. they ARE related to one of Yoshiki's business ventures, and 2. they did not violate any forum rule (they were not personal insults, etc.).  But now, thanks to Rule #2, admins can bust people on the basis of nothing more than a personal pet peeve.

There were also "snarky" comments made, continually, about Yoshiki's piano technician blowing Yoshiki under the piano.  I don't see anyone getting all uptight about that, but it looks like a great excuse to invoke Rule #2 again, since OMG "THE GUY" MIGHT READ IT AND SUE. :P

And another fun fact is that when MiscastDice actually tried to explain why he doesn't like JRR, the post was censored by PN.

You know, it's going to be downright amusing if anyone gets banned here for negative posts about JRR, given the perpetual claims that this forum has nothing to do with JRR.  Rather self-damning for X Freaks, I'd say.  Can one also get banned for making negative comments about Nike or McDonald's, given that they supposedly have as much connection to this board as JRR does?

For the record, I still await answers to both this and this.

color=darkred]STAND UP!  FUCK UP![/color]

Offline MiscastDice

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #69 on: June 12, 2008, 11:48:15 PM

JRR is one of Yoshiki's projects, ergo, the official JRR forum-- a part of the official JRR website-- is Yoshiki-related.

This is an excellent illustration of the problem with the (very aptly-numbered) Rule #2.  Whether you or others find the JRR posts personally annoying or not, the fact is that 1. they ARE related to one of Yoshiki's business ventures, and 2. they did not violate any forum rule (they were not personal insults, etc.).  But now, thanks to Rule #2, admins can bust people on the basis of nothing more than a personal pet peeve.

There were also "snarky" comments made, continually, about Yoshiki's piano technician blowing Yoshiki under the piano.  I don't see anyone getting all uptight about that, but it looks like a great excuse to invoke Rule #2 again, since OMG "THE GUY" MIGHT READ IT AND SUE. :P

And another fun fact is that when MiscastDice actually tried to explain why he doesn't like JRR, the post was censored by PN.

You know, it's going to be downright amusing if anyone gets banned here for negative posts about JRR, given the perpetual claims that this forum has nothing to do with JRR.  Rather self-damning for X Freaks, I'd say.  Can one also get banned for making negative comments about Nike or McDonald's, given that they supposedly have as much connection to this board as JRR does?

For the record, I still await answers to both this and this.

This.

And I will be highly amused if we can no longer snark at McDonald's here under this fucking senseless rule. I mean, so is posting the best hide and Yoshiki interview clip ever forbidden now?

. . . speaking of McDonalds, its food always gives me worse diarrhea than anything I've eaten even at the cheapest, dirtiest street food stand. So I don't eat there and I'd warn anyone else to think twice before eating there.  OMG OH NOES I HAS LIEBELED MCDAWNALDS AND THEY'RE GONNA FUCKING SUE MEEEE *fake tears*

Offline leria83

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/r1canmam1
Reply #70 on: June 13, 2008, 06:23:14 AM
I actually like this board a lot more than the others I go to. I go to another board that the people just don't really care about a topic you post or anything. Here at least some people reply to what you have to say. Although I do think rule #12 is silly. On this other board I go to, you get things called infractions for each time you have some sort of inappropriate post and if you get to a certain number, you're banned. Thank goodness we don't have that here. So I think this place is a little on the mellow side.

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #71 on: June 13, 2008, 06:39:53 AM

But how the RULES on that forum are, how is that Yoshiki related? Did he make them himself, is he an active user in the forum or something? Is he an admin? What am I missing here?

And the more I read your replies the more ridiculous they get, I'm sorry. Don't be surprised if the staff stops posting here at all at some point because of your inability to have a rational and mature conversation.

You seem to forget (or some didn't know at all) that I am actually on YOUR side, but I don't agree with your methods, you guys are way too radical for my taste and sometimes I start to doubt whether we are still fighting for the same thing.

RIP

Offline SarahAlex

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
Reply #72 on: June 13, 2008, 07:05:42 AM
I'm sorry for quoting another person but I guess this quite describes what people like MiscastDice or Hollywood are doing here:

"Jump when they tell us that they wanna see jumping
F**k that I wanna see some fists pumping
Risk something, take back what's yours
Say something that you know they might attack you for..."

Hands held high - Linkin Park

However, as the discussion is growing everyone's getting more and more desperate because - see, how long we are quarreling here and the result, I mean some final one, is still somewhere far away.

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #73 on: June 13, 2008, 07:20:10 AM
Quote from: "SarahAlex"
Risk something, take back what's yours

I thought this was Hypno's forum  :P

The staff's final goal: Have a more structured forum, provide more rules (or rules, at all) so that there is less confusion.
Some users' final goal: Kick PN. No matter what the consequences will be.

I don't know on how many boards everyone here is but from my experience this is one of the least uptight ones (personally, I am member of one forum where no political/serious discussion is allowed and every thread/comment on that topic gets deleted, it's in the rules and everyone seems to be able to live with that).

RIP

Offline SarahAlex

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
Reply #74 on: June 13, 2008, 07:23:32 AM
I thought this was Hypno's forum  :P

Of course it is, I meant the rights not this forum. :D

Offline Hollywood

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #75 on: June 13, 2008, 07:55:25 AM

But how the RULES on that forum are, how is that Yoshiki related? Did he make them himself, is he an active user in the forum or something? Is he an admin? What am I missing here?

It's a part of the official website of one of his projects.  The admins, therefore, are employees of his.  He evidently approves of the forum and its rules, or he would (presumably) do something about them.  It's no different than discussing the structure, rules, etc. of an official Extasy Records forum would be, if there were one.

Honestly, how do you see any part of the official website of one of Yoshiki's projects as being not related to Yoshiki?

And the more I read your replies the more ridiculous they get, I'm sorry. Don't be surprised if the staff stops posting here at all at some point because of your inability to have a rational and mature conversation.

On the topic of "rational and mature", I'll take this opportunity to point out that I'm not the one tossing personal insults here.  I don't doubt that the staff will stop posting eventually though, just as PN did and Hypno now seems to be doing, given that PN/Hypno seem to be at a loss as how to answer various questions that have been directed their way.

But it all comes back to the same thing: if you guys want to enact rules that no one wanted, you can't expect a positive response.  If you guys want to-- for whatever reason (what "consequences" do you speak of?)-- stand by the admin status of an abusive and unpopular admin, again, you have no room to claim surprise at the response to that.  If these are the choices you guys want to make, you'll have to deal with people's response to them.  And declining to answer users' questions, especially while talking down to said users in the process, is not going to endear the staff to anyone who feels even remotely alienated by them.  It's only going to set people even more firmly in an "us vs. them", "people vs. dictators" mindset.  When it comes to forum health and longevity, that's a dangerous road to continue down.

The staff's final goal: Have a more structured forum, provide more rules (or rules, at all) so that there is less confusion.

Again: when did anyone say they want a more structured forum with more rules?  I've seen several posts about how people want less structure, and no posts about people wanting more.

Based on various posts I also have a hard time believing that a more structured forum with more rules is the goal of each and every staff member.

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #76 on: June 13, 2008, 08:17:51 AM
Because he didn't make the rules, nor is he member of the JRR forum staff. My overall point is that I don't see the need to post JRR mocking in X threads that have nothing to do with JRR. (or in signatures, avatars)

given that PN/Hypno seem to be at a loss as how to answer various questions that have been directed their way

I don't blame them, this thread and the previous two (you know the ones I mean) were filled with questions, every single action by an admin was questioned, there were 3 new pages every day, it's kind of hard to keep up with that stuff (given they also have private lives, jobs and such).

(what "consequences" do you speak of?)

Do you want to tell me that it never occurred to you that if PN was de-amined/de-moded the climate here could become worse? You might have noticed that Hypno/PN are pretty close, do you expect Hypno to be perfectly happy with such an action/decision? What makes you think the rules will disappear when PN is no member of the staff anymore, who says there won't be even more rules?

And I don't expect positive responses, just rational ones I'm willing to answer.

Again: when did anyone say they want a more structured forum with more rules? I've seen several posts about how people want less structure, and no posts about people wanting more.

I did? I don't know when exactly that was, though. Mind you, if I remember correctly Hypno had wanted to renew the rules for some time but didn't do it for what reasons ever (he may correct me here if I'm wrong).

I'm sorry if you don't agree with the rules, you should've joined in 2006 when there were no mods (that's right) and just a couple of active users around here, most peaceful time we've ever had.  :P

RIP

Offline SarahAlex

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
Reply #77 on: June 13, 2008, 03:41:48 PM
Do you want to tell me that it never occurred to you that if PN was de-amined/de-moded the climate here could become worse? You might have noticed that Hypno/PN are pretty close, do you expect Hypno to be perfectly happy with such an action/decision? What makes you think the rules will disappear when PN is no member of the staff anymore, who says there won't be even more rules?

We have noticed they are pretty close and it's everyone's business who his friends are, so nobody here says or has the right to say: "Hypno, we don't want you to keep in touch with PantereNoire.", that's pure nonsense. He can affiliate with whoever he wants, of course.
However, as an admin, Panthere is something like his employee and in such a case friendship should be put aside. You'll surely tell me that this is not "the real world" but if it was, it would probably work a little bit differently.

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #78 on: June 13, 2008, 03:53:24 PM
However, as an admin, Panthere is something like his employee and in such a case friendship should be put aside.

How do you think most people here (including me) became mods/admins?  :wink: I agree with what you said but fact is the mods are mods and the admins are admins because of some connection to Hypno. (and because back then they were the most active users)

RIP

Offline SarahAlex

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
Reply #79 on: June 13, 2008, 04:16:23 PM
I really do apprecite your sincerity, ferret. 5 points to you. :wink:

And actually, I know this system often works very well - you can easily come to an agreement when your colleagues are also your friends. But everything is usually ok until some some crise appears. Then it's difficult and friendship can even become "a burden" that won't allow you do the thing you would normally do in ordinary"employer-employee" relationship.
I don't envy you, guys.

Offline VioletCamicat

• Die-hard fan
  • Beware of the toxic kitten!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/violet_camicat
Reply #80 on: June 13, 2008, 05:35:50 PM
Don't get me wrong guys, but I think it doesn't matter how we "solve" the problems. It's kind of a trap and no matter how people try to get out, it would just make it worse for the board I think.
:roll: Isn't meant as offense to anyone. Maybe just ignoring it all would be the only "solution", but I know that many people aren't fine with ignoring things they don't like.

Hm, I have no clue, what to say about the rules. I still don't get the Yoshiki Mobile thing. It's Japan only. The only one who could get problem is the one who receives this service and posts it. But okay, it's decided and I accept it.

And I also don't agree with rule 12. You know... before it became a rule here, I knew one single person who did so - and also not everywhere. I might try to not break this rule, but honestly: I cannot guarantee that I won't forget it. :| I never did this before... nowhere. And since I don't earn money with posting pictures somewhere that don't belong to me it seemed to be perfectly fine till now. Even for Hypno as board owner it'd befine in my opinion. There's no advertise on this page which makes him earn money and the pictures aren't posted for drawing more visitors who make him earn more money from being around and being advertise-viewers.

But I'm perfectly fine with the mod and admin rules so far. :)

mod mode

And out of the chaos I heard a voice telling me:
"Smile and be happy - it could have become worse!"
So I smiled and was happy... and it became worse

Offline Hollywood

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #81 on: June 13, 2008, 08:05:04 PM
My overall point is that I don't see the need to post JRR mocking in X threads that have nothing to do with JRR. (or in signatures, avatars)

I also don't see a NEED to, but if people want to, I don't see where it's breaking any rules (that is, unless one uses the enormous Rule #2 loophole).  I mean, people were mocking "The Guy" in X threads that had nothing to do with Yoshiki's road crew.  I can't see where it's any different than that.

I don't blame them, this thread and the previous two (you know the ones I mean) were filled with questions, every single action by an admin was questioned, there were 3 new pages every day, it's kind of hard to keep up with that stuff (given they also have private lives, jobs and such).

I'm sure it was hard to keep up with, but when there are so many questions/comments/complaints about the administration-- and 95% of them on exactly the same topic-- that in itself should be a sign that something is seriously wrong with the forum.

Do you want to tell me that it never occurred to you that if PN was de-amined/de-moded the climate here could become worse? You might have noticed that Hypno/PN are pretty close, do you expect Hypno to be perfectly happy with such an action/decision?

I certainly expect, given PN's behavior pattern and use of scare tactics, that there could be some kind of backlash from PN if she were de-admined/de-moded.  If that's the case, then like SarahAlex I don't envy you guys either-- and like Camicat said, it would indeed be a trap.

But fear of repercussions (if that's indeed what's going on here) is never a good reason to keep someone around.

As for the friendship issue, like SarahAlex said, no one is saying "Hypno, you shouldn't be friends with PN!".  I don't think anyone cares who Hypno is and isn't friends with (I sure don't).  But when one is choosing admins for a public forum (as opposed to a forum that's just for Hypno and his circle of friends), one needs to realistically consider which of one's friends are actually appropriate for the job at hand.

What makes you think the rules will disappear when PN is no member of the staff anymore, who says there won't be even more rules?

Sadly I'm sure the rules won't disappear, but if it's a choice between having an unfit admin AND ridiculous rules, or just having ridiculous rules... well, that latter would at least be some improvement.  An unfit admin and no ridiculous rules would also be some improvement over the current situation.

And really, it's extremely hard not to see the new rules as anything other than a bait-and-switch.  People complain about PN, then are told to wait for the new rules which will solve all their problems, then are saddled with a bunch of completely arbitrary new rules which have nothing to do with the PN situation.

Offline SarahAlex

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
Reply #82 on: June 13, 2008, 08:16:48 PM
Yeah, because now we have to keep in mind so many things like "don't worry, be happy, no depressive posts", "don't forget to insert a disclaimer" and "Could I actually write this?" so there's no time for thinking about the other problems - for example the PN situation, as you've mentioned it. :lol:

Offline Hollywood

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #83 on: June 13, 2008, 08:39:13 PM
Yeah, because now we have to keep in mind so many things like "don't worry, be happy, no depressive posts", "don't forget to insert a disclaimer" and "Could I actually write this?"

...Which, ironically, are all the sorts of attitudes X wrestled with during their indies days, and eventually settled on "fuck it". ;)

I just find it enormously ironic that people are expected to make "constructive" happy-happy-joy-joy posts and be acutely concerned about offending others on a forum about a band whose whose main themes were death, sex, blood, pain, orgasms, and shocking people.

Oh, and roses.

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #84 on: June 13, 2008, 08:45:28 PM
Yeah, because now we have to keep in mind so many things like "don't worry, be happy, no depressive posts"

I just find it enormously ironic that people are expected to make "constructive" happy-happy-joy-joy posts

Guys, stop making up your own rules, I thought the ones the staff gave you were more than enough? :P  Unless you're carving for a happy-happy-joy-joy-rule, I'm sure that could be arranged somehow.

RIP

Offline SarahAlex

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
Reply #85 on: June 13, 2008, 08:49:37 PM

Oh, and roses.

Don't do this to me, I almost fell off my bed laughing. :lol:

To ferret: And what about "death, sex, blood, pain, orgasms, and shocking people" (c) mighty Hollywood rules? Why don't we have these?  :lol:

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #86 on: June 13, 2008, 08:51:16 PM
Those things are given, no rules needed.

RIP

Offline MiscastDice

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #87 on: June 13, 2008, 09:27:15 PM
Yeah, because now we have to keep in mind so many things like "don't worry, be happy, no depressive posts", "don't forget to insert a disclaimer" and "Could I actually write this?"

...Which, ironically, are all the sorts of attitudes X wrestled with during their indies days, and eventually settled on "fuck it". ;)

I just find it enormously ironic that people are expected to make "constructive" happy-happy-joy-joy posts and be acutely concerned about offending others on a forum about a band whose whose main themes were death, sex, blood, pain, orgasms, and shocking people.

Oh, and roses.

I think I love you  :oops:

Offline SarahAlex

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
Reply #88 on: June 13, 2008, 09:34:07 PM

Oh, and roses.

This is strongly OT, I know and I'm sorry, but... so, MistcastDice, you love Hollywood and not me?!  :cry: Ok, ok, as you wish! Then you should know that I thought the same! Holly's post was was great and witty and ironical and... and... I love him too! :evil:

*end of the soap opera* :lol:

Offline MiscastDice

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #89 on: June 13, 2008, 10:01:03 PM

Oh, and roses.

This is strongly OT, I know and I'm sorry, but... so, MistcastDice, you love Hollywood and not me?!  :cry: Ok, ok, as you wish! Then you should know that I thought the same! Holly's post was was great and witty and ironical and... and... I love him too! :evil:

*end of the soap opera* :lol:

I love you both!~  :oops:

(Oh noes, does that mean I'll suicide to get Hollywood's attention and revenge against you? /sarcasm at she who shall not be named's crackpot theory)