Please read the rules :)
  • Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Best and worst movie pick up lines.

Guest · 4844

PanthereNoire

on: May 31, 2008, 04:34:04 PM
Source HERE

Disclaimer: Reposted because those links tend to expire after some days. Content belongs to whoever it belongs to, not to me.

Romantic or revolting? Best and worst movie pickup lines Powered by BlogBurst
POSTED: Friday, May 30, 2008
FROM BLOG: Fan Fare - Reuters correspondents blog on the stories behind the entertainment headlines

The following blog post is from an independent writer and is not connected with Reuters News. The opinions and views expressed herein are those of the author and are not endorsed by Reuters.com.

Network Video, an Australian video retail company,  has come up with its list of the best and the worst move pick up lines.

Here’s the best…

1. ”We live in a cynical world. A cynical world. And we work in a business of tough competitors. I love you. You … complete me.”- Tom Cruise to Renee Zellweger in Jerry Maguire, 1996

2. ”Marry me, and I’ll never look at another horse.” - Groucho Marx to Margaret Dumont in A Day at the Races

3. ”I want to take care of you.” “Good … ’cause I really need to be taken care of.”
- Billy Bob Thornton to Halle Berry in Monster’s Ball

4. ”I want all of you. Forever. Every day.” - Ryan Gosling to Rachel McAdams in The Notebook

5. ”Mind if I get drunk with you?” - Clark Gable to Jean Harlow in Red Dust

6. ” I know what I want, because I have it in my hands right now. You.” - Gerard Butler to Hilary Swank in Ps I Love You

7. ”You came back to this bar to see me tonight, didn’t you?”"What if it wasn’t you I came here to see tonight?” “Well, ya’ got lucky.” - Paul Newman and Charlotte Rampling in The Verdict

And here’s the worst…                                                                                

1. ”You’re 38 and you look it” - Aaron Eckhart to Helena Bonham Carter in Conversations With Other Women

2. ”I appreciate this whole seduction thing you’ve got going on here, but let me give you a tip: I’m a sure thing.” - Julia Roberts to Richard Gere in Pretty Woman.

3.  “Are you stalking me? Because that would be super” - Ryan Reynolds to Tara Reid in Van Wilder.

4. ”I could find the whole meaning of life in those sad eyes.”- Nathan Fillion to Kerri Russell in Waitress

5. “You think I’m gorgeous … you want to kiss me … you want to hug me … you want to love me … you want to smooch me … ” - Sandra Bullock to Benjamin Bratt in Miss Congeniality

6. “You were hoping for a goodnight kiss?”"No, you know. I’ll tell ya, I was hoping to get goodnight laid…” - Matt Damon and Minnie Driver in Good Will Hunting

7. “Would you like to have breakfast with me?” “Sure, fine.” “Shall I phone you or nudge you?” - Mary Mcdonnell and Stephen Tobolowsky in Sneakers

What do you think was the best — or the worst — movie pickup?

My personal best from those is "5. ”Mind if I get drunk with you?” - Clark Gable to Jean Harlow in Red Dust" and personally, I think the Julia Roberts to Richard Gere thing should have been in the best (maybe the author's still stuck on the idea that "good girls don't do it?"). How Groucho Marx, whom I absolutely adore, ended up the int e best, I'd like to know...

In an aside, one of my favourite movie lines only related to pick ups, not about one directly is "Goodness had nothing to do with it, dearie." And several others from the same source. Out of curiosity, WITHOUT googling, can anyone name who that is?

And naturally, post your own favourite movie pick up (and other) lines.

Offline Layla_Black

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fotolog.com/natsuko_koizumi
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 05:18:57 PM
I couldn't remember where your lines appear, I looked up for it, but I l leeave it for the ones who want to guess it ^^

Here one of my favourties:

A man tells his stories so many times that he becomes the stories. They live on after him, and in that way he becomes immortal

any idea about the film??

PanthereNoire

Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 05:43:23 PM
Without doubt I should remember where this comes from but then the only thing I don't doubt it my doubt. Maybe given a little time, my memory will bloom.

And glad to know you found the lines entertaining enough to look them up. :)

Offline Skooter

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 07:08:26 PM
It would be a crime to put Groucho Marx in anything but the best XD.

A favourite of mine is "As you wish."

Offline MillieQOF

• Moderators
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 07:17:52 PM
Cry-Baby is an overall very silly movie, but there was one line that had me crack up.

So Johnny Depp is making out with this girl and eventually there is some boob-grabbing an the girl goes;

Allison:
I want to, but I can't, for my parent's sake. They're both dead, Cry-Baby, I'm an orphan!
Cry-Baby: Oh, I'm sorry, Allison. But no wonder we're together. I'm an orphan, too.
Allison: You are?
Cry-Baby: Yes! And orphans have.... special needs!

Nice topic ^^

Offline Layla_Black

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fotolog.com/natsuko_koizumi
Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 07:22:43 PM
Quote from: "Skooter"

Is it from the Princess Bride?? I've not seen it in English but he said something similar in Catalan ^^

Offline Skooter

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 09:57:02 PM
Quote from: "MillieQOF"
Cry-Baby is an overall very silly movie, but there was one line that had me crack up.

I worship Cry-Baby XD. That whole orphan dialogue is so unreal XD! My favourite line was "You got it Allison, you got it RAW."
It's so cheesy =D.

Quote from: "Layla_Black"
Is it from the Princess Bride?? I've not seen it in English but he said something similar in Catalan ^^

Yup =D.

Offline MillieQOF

• Moderators
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 10:40:11 PM
Quote from: "MillieQOF"

I worship Cry-Baby XD. That whole orphan dialogue is so unreal XD! My favourite line was "You got it Allison, you got it RAW."
It's so cheesy =D.

I love the movie, silly or not xDD

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 10:37:44 AM
Hm, I can't think of any pickup lines I (dis)like right now but I thought this one

5. “You think I’m gorgeous … you want to kiss me … you want to hug me … you want to love me … you want to smooch me … ” - Sandra Bullock to Benjamin Bratt in Miss Congeniality

was hilarious and totally worked, imo   :lol:

RIP

PanthereNoire

Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 03:21:58 PM

In general I agree that Groucho Marx should be in the best, but you'll have to admit that particular pick up like is a tad... uncomplimentary.

And nice avatar, by the way.

Also, to stay on topic, a favourite kind of pick up line, from a very old movie:

David Huxley: Now it isn't that I don't like you, Susan, because, after all, in moments of quiet, I'm strangely drawn toward you, but - well, there haven't been any quiet moments. ("Bringing up baby")