• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

art of life during reunion concert

denx · 13124

Offline denx

• Big fan
    • View Profile
on: April 20, 2008, 12:36:53 PM
i was wondering why they put AoL in 1st night and in the end of the concert. i prefer they do it in 2nd night and in the middle of the concert.
X Japan didnt play their best in this song. look at 1993 12 30-31. and also AoL in 3rd night, they continue the song when toshi almost run out his voice. i hope that , X Japan will perform another AoL in the future concert, and really do their best, not like 1st night, when toshi voice not stable and yoshiki fainted. what do you guys think?

Ex denxdenx

Offline jigokugal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 12:47:50 PM
You shouldn't compare their concert in 93 to 2008. This band was just reunited after 10 years and look at their age now. AoL is the type of song that drains huge energy. the song is too complicated even said as 'scary one' by hide, once.

They played it at 3rd night, to continue what was left on the first night. It's Yoshiki, it's X Japan, wouldn't you think it's too weird if they abandoned the unfinished one?
In fact, their effort to finish it in spite of Toshi's voice condition, Yoshiki's super exhaustion, was very much credited and appreciated. It turned the third night into an amazing one. (although withouth AoL it's already great).
They did this at the last concert, pretty much to make sure Yoshiki survives all concerts. If they did it at 2nd night, the probability of Yoshiki would be too exhausted, or even collapse again was bigger.

I don't have any objection why they didn't do it at 2nd night, instead it's better as it was. like a closing song of the 3 day concerts.

jigokugal

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 06:15:54 PM
Art of life as jikokugal stated is very demanding. Its a song that I wouldn't expect them to perform unless it was a special occasion and the reunion was special. We have to remember the difference between the 93 AoL and the 08 one , Yoshiki doesn't have the stamina he used to have and this was proven on the first night. I would be surprised if they played it at future concerts although i hope they do as Art of life is simply brilliant.

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 09:20:47 PM
Unless its true that Yoshiki has always only gotten 2 hours of sleep a day 10 days before a concert, then the reason he collapsed has nothing to do with his stamina since 1997 to now, I seriously doubt he's worked himself as hard for every concert he's ever done with X-japan as much as he did for the reunion ones. Yoshiki can still play Art of Life just as well as he did in 1993, what's different from 1993 is that this time Yoshiki pushed himself to rediculous limits before the concert and then put art of life at the end of the setlist.

I get annoyed with comments like that, especially ones that say Toshi has lost range now because he's old, on a video of the reunion where he blatently had as much range as he ever has done but was simply cracking up like he does a lot, simply because he was ill that day. Voice cracking does not mean loss of range.

Offline Belle & Sebastian

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 10:03:25 PM
Quote from: "Ulquiorra"
I get annoyed with comments like that, especially ones that say Toshi has lost range now because he's old, on a video of the reunion where he blatently had as much range as he ever has done but was simply cracking up like he does a lot, simply because he was ill that day. Voice cracking does not mean loss of range.

and i get annoyed with these die-hard-fans who don't want to realize that x japan aren't as good as they used to be (which is just natural due to their increasing age). i'm a die hard fan as well, but come on, try to see it from an objective angle.

Offline nage

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 10:06:32 PM
In my opinion it has nothing to do with their age but with the fact that they haven't played together in past 10 years and had only limited time to rehearse before the concerts.

May X be with you!

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 10:28:53 PM
let's face it: toshi's voice during the last live wasn't as good as it used to be, when they recorded blue blood or art of life.

Offline nage

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 10:30:15 PM
let's face it: his voice got better at the other two nights. What a miracle, hm?

May X be with you!

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 10:37:16 PM
sure, but still not as good as it used to be, but i don't blame him for that, so stop being annoyed everybody.

Offline Kihl

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 01:54:23 AM
Quote from: "le.pilote"
let's face it: toshi's voice during the last live wasn't as good as it used to be, when they recorded blue blood or art of life.

Eh? I think you are mistaking personal preference for fact/objectiveness.

To you Toshi's voice was not as 'good' during the Last Live compared to Blue Blood or Art of Life era, but the significant difference between these two eras meant that it is impossible to say which era is 'better' in empirical sense. It boils down to personal preference.

True, age will play a part in future performances, but give them some slack, high emotions and lack of preparations are significant factors as well.

Love will Find a Way

This the Line you Used to Love

Do you Still believe that?

Offline jigokugal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 06:00:29 AM
True, the preparation, stress that Yoshiki had been through JUST before the concert are the main factor of his exhaustion.
But still, age does matter. If someone says Yoshiki or X Japan now and 10 years back is perfectly the same, that's a lie.
I respect them so much, as far as I know, this band is the only one putting their life in line for music.
He will do whatever to the extreme for his music and whatever means really anything it takes from him.
That only, already makes my respect to him complete.
But no matter how far he pushes himself, if naturally the body can't strain, there's the limit goes.
And, one more factor, his god damn illness, the tendon and neuro injuries since 1989! (although it didn't seem to bother him during the 3 day concerts, but he suffers alot from this)
*in this point, I wish he hadn't had his injuries*

EDIT:
forgot to add:
Quote from: "denxdenx"
i hope that , X Japan will perform another AoL in the future concert, and really do their best, not like 1st night, when toshi voice not stable and yoshiki fainted. what do you guys think?

Because Yoshiki did his best, pushing out from the limit line, he fainted. The concert wasn't the best, but they did their best!

jigokugal

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 12:09:47 PM
As far as Toshi's voice goes i personally don't really see any difference from the 2008 shows and early days. Perhaps i'm just not as good at listening to music than other people :cry:

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 01:16:35 PM
Considering that those 3 performances were the first ones in 10 years, yes 10 years let it sink it, Toshi and the rest did outstanding. For those 10 years we all know Toshi did not sing like he did those three nights; his style changed and we know the type of music he was producing during that long period of time. What Toshi tries to do is almost super-human; he is pretty brave. Furthermore, there was a noticeable improvement over the course of the 3 concerts. Even on the first night he was singing so well. Age does have some effect but Toshi in some ways is better than he ever was.

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 01:21:22 PM
If anyone here has been actively singing during school or later or whatever, then they should know that if you don't sing for even like a few months (summer break for example :P ) your voice won't be as good as it was right away. It'll take some practice to get it in shape again.

This is my administrator color.

Offline Maya

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 01:52:43 PM
Yeah, Hypno is right xD I even notive this when I'm really ill and can't sing for maybe ... two weeks. When singing again it always feels a little strange first.
And after such a long pause ... or a long period of singing completely different stuff ...

I don't think either that Toshis voice got worse ^^; Maybe also not "better than ever before!", but I think he has improved in general. His style seems to be more healthy now. (Less pressing, more "swinging" XD ... I can't really explain in English)
Of course I can't deny that some songs sounded ...... bad (imo ;D). The beginning of Tears on the second night for example made me shiver xD;. But everyone makes mistakes and has a bad day / minute/ whatever ;D. Just because you don't hit every single note in every song doesn't make you a bad singer or means you have no good voice.
I know the feeling of your voice "breaking away". You can't control this, sometimes it just happens. xD; It depends on so many things how your voice sounds ... even things like what you drank or ate last, if you slept good/long. Vocal condition can vary a lot. °_°

And I think Toshi did a good job all in all. I guess with a bit training and on a good day he could possibly sing better than ever before, yeah ;D.

Wild passion~

"C'mon Yoshiki, you can do this ... if you do it fast, maybe noone notices it's happening ..."
"Eeeek, he kissed me xD"

Offline denx

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 03:28:38 PM
all the member did a good job on that live. i maen, i only hope that X Japan performed AoL in right time. no problem with toshi voice at all, i think his voice higher and deeper than 10 years ago. he only need to stabilize his voice like 10 years ago. as for yoshiki, i m very happy to see him playing drum without  wearing protection in his neck. its mean that he recover perfectly

Ex denxdenx

Offline Anna

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Tsurezuregusa
Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 05:10:59 PM
as for yoshiki, i m very happy to see him playing drum without wearing protection in his neck. its mean that he recover perfectly

Actually, I'm really sorry to say that, but I don't think that's the true reason. More like... Yoshiki doesn't do what he should be doing for the sake of aesthetic/feeling of freedom/whatever personal reasons.  :?

Pony rocks!

Offline nage

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #17 on: April 21, 2008, 05:19:37 PM
^ Seconded. I doubt he doesn't wear it because he's ok.

May X be with you!

Offline jigokugal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: April 21, 2008, 05:51:19 PM
I dont think his injuries are the type that will or can heal completely. the symptoms may not appear every minutes or every day but it's still there and could get worse if the patient doesn't take care well.
I don't know the actual one though, only an opinion, but im sure about it.  :shock:

jigokugal

Offline Anna

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Tsurezuregusa
Reply #19 on: April 21, 2008, 07:14:32 PM

I dont think his injuries are the type that will or can heal completely. the symptoms may not appear every minutes or every day but it's still there and could get worse if the patient doesn't take care well.
I don't know the actual one though, only an opinion, but im sure about it. Shocked

Yeah, well... he mentioned the constant pain several times, usually followed by some "but I don't care" and such.

Pony rocks!

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: April 21, 2008, 11:40:03 PM
there are really some ridiculous people here who try to defend EVERYTHING x japan did and didn't, praising everything and everyone and bladibla. why can you guys just let others have their own opinions about x japan, even if these included things like "some x japan songs really suck" or whatever.
just because you guys like everything from yoshiki and the rest (and i'm cool with that) doesn't mean that those who don't, don't know x japan as good as you do and are asking for a sermon on how to be the perfect x japan fan.

Offline MiscastDice

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: April 22, 2008, 01:48:05 AM
Quote from: "le.pilote"
there are really some ridiculous people here who try to defend EVERYTHING x japan did and didn't, praising everything and everyone and bladibla. why can you guys just let others have their own opinions about x japan, even if these included things like "some x japan songs really suck" or whatever.
just because you guys like everything from yoshiki and the rest (and i'm cool with that) doesn't mean that those who don't, don't know x japan as good as you do and are asking for a sermon on how to be the perfect x japan fan.

FUCK YOU. You're the fucking sockpuppet of someone on here too cowardly to post under their real name. Your join date and your posts make you look like that, or like you just got on here to wank.

Sorry, but you really need to fuck off. This is X-Freaks, not "The 'Natural Born Onanist' Forum."

Offline Kihl

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: April 22, 2008, 01:49:39 AM
Well, you see, it isn't as much a clash of opinions as a confusion of 'fact' and 'opinion'.

For instance:

I don't like some of hide's composition, nor do I really like Toshi's vocals, or the fact that X became focused on ballads on their later years, but to state your opinions as 'facts' is another matter entirely. And in this case, the root of this disagreement.

By saying 'let's face it', you believe what you said to be a 'universal truth' that everyone fails to see, which in this case is what you see as Toshi sounding worse during the Last Live in comparison to Blue Blood/Art of Life.

Further examples:

Opinion:

hide composed the BEST rock songs in X.

Fact:

hide composed 7 songs for X.

Do understand, I am not attacking your opinion, rather I disagree with your belief that opinion=fact.

I don't want this forum to tear itself apart with flame wars, and we have been getting dangerously closer with each argument.

Love will Find a Way

Offline MiscastDice

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: April 22, 2008, 01:58:28 AM
Quote from: "Kihl"
Well, you see, it isn't as much a clash of opinions as a confusion of 'fact' and 'opinion'.

For instance:

I don't like some of hide's composition, nor do I really like Toshi's vocals, or the fact that X became focused on ballads on their later years, but to state your opinions as 'facts' is another matter entirely. And in this case, the root of this disagreement.

By saying 'let's face it', you believe what you said to be a 'universal truth' that everyone fails to see, which in this case is what you see as Toshi sounding worse during the Last Live in comparison to Blue Blood/Art of Life.

Further examples:

Opinion:

hide composed the BEST rock songs in X.

Fact:

hide composed 7 songs for X.

Do understand, I am not attacking your opinion, rather I disagree with your belief that opinion=fact.

I don't want this forum to tear itself apart with flame wars, and we have been getting dangerously closer with each argument.

Ignore le.pilote, it's a fucking sockpuppy troll who's trying to get us to fight.

Offline Kihl

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: April 22, 2008, 02:08:51 AM
Quote from: "MiscastDice"

Ignore le.pilote, it's a fucking sockpuppy troll who's trying to get us to fight.

Well... I don't think you are helping our case by resorting to insults either..

Again, I must reiterate. I don't mind hearing other people's opinions, I just loathe it when they try to pass it off as 'facts'...

So please people, keep it civil.

You don't want me to chain you into a chair and make you listen to 'Art of Life' on headphones...

and suddenly changing the track into the illegal love child of 'Barney' and 'Teletubbies' and 'Linkin Park' on repeat. For 10 whole years.

Trust Me.

Love will Find a Way

Offline MiscastDice

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: April 22, 2008, 02:17:33 AM
Quote from: "Kihl"

Well... I don't think you are helping our case by resorting to insults either..

Again, I must reiterate. I don't mind hearing other people's opinions, I just loathe it when they try to pass it off as 'facts'...

So please people, keep it civil.

You don't want me to chain you into a chair and make you listen to 'Art of Life' on headphones...

and suddenly changing the track into the illegal love child of 'Barney' and 'Teletubbies' and 'Linkin Park' on repeat. For 10 whole years.

Trust Me.

Yeah, I'll simmer down. . . wouldn't want THAT, now would I? ;) Well, the first part doesn't sound so bad but the changed track. . . only way that would be worse would be to add Simple Plan or Fallout Boy or Britney Spears

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: April 22, 2008, 07:02:41 AM
I'm glad everyone here is so respectful of other peoples' opinions, bravo.

And I'm glad some people here know the difference between facts and opinion.

Here are some facts:

- If you continue with this bs, I'm sure someone (I'm not saying that would be necessarily me) would be GLAD to help you with your ban.
- Discussion is NOT proving somebody else that you're right and he's wrong. It's communication. It's about trying to understand the other's point, even if you might not agree with it.
- Yup, surprise: Toshi's voice has changend (vocal coaching does change your voice), it is however your decision (now here come's the opinion part) whether you like it or not.

And now, back to topic, please.

RIP

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: April 22, 2008, 03:19:32 PM
FUCK YOU. You're the fucking sockpuppet of someone on here too cowardly to post under their real name. Your join date and your posts make you look like that, or like you just got on here to wank.

Sorry, but you really need to fuck off. This is X-Freaks, not "The 'Natural Born Onanist' Forum."

Oh trust me I'm not, and I do love X Japan. Just not everything they did, that's all.

Offline XjapanFOREVER

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: May 15, 2008, 02:28:28 AM
Quote from: "TG"
Yoshiki doesn't have the stamina he used to have and this was proven on the first night. I would be surprised if they played it at future concerts although i hope they do as Art of life is simply brilliant.

Saying he doesn't have the stamina is nonesense, I recall reading in one of his blogs a couple months ago (5 or 6-ish) that he was on a special diet to help him drum even harder than before. He may have believed it, but the facts say a little bit different

And I COMPELTELY agree with your last statement, I almost had a bowel movement in class when I read the set-list for the first night.. I was literally crying the rest of the school day...

As mentioned in an earlier thread, one of the songs I had listed for a reunion concert was Art of Life, but I said I doubted it would happen due to the physical strain it puts on the members, but we had it!

Offline Matilda in Oz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: May 15, 2008, 10:12:08 AM

He he he. Well said! 8)