• XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

books

ferret · 22201

Offline xScQ

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • We are U.N.I.T.E.D!
Reply #30 on: November 09, 2009, 11:46:07 PM
Everyone go read The Demon-haunted World, Science As A Candle In The Dark TODAY to celebrate the late Carl Sagan's birthday  :)

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #31 on: November 09, 2009, 11:49:08 PM
Everyone go read The Demon-haunted World, Science As A Candle In The Dark TODAY to celebrate the late Carl Sagan's birthday  :)

Carl Sagan + Mogwai = superb.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pfwY2TNehw[/youtube]
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 11:53:22 PM by TG »

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline jimmyray

• View Profile
Reply #32 on: February 08, 2010, 12:42:26 PM
At the moment I am reading Elizabeth Kostova's "The Historian" and the last book I have read is Arto Paasilinna's "The Year of the Hare".Very enjoyable.
I will recommend you these books-The drawing of the three,The sandman endless nights,The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand,The Blank Slate by Steven Pinker,All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren.
Mine favourite author is  Jodi Picoult. My favourite book by her is Nineteen Minutes

Offline demonbefriender

• Fan
  • I think I am a banana tree
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal
Reply #33 on: February 08, 2010, 03:29:54 PM
Right now I'm reading The Stand and 1984. I had to pick up something to read in between The Stand (I'm pacing myself. :D )
I can't really remember the last book I read (blame The Stand), but I think it was a non-fiction book about women suffrage from 1918-1928.
As for recommendations... I'll be honest, I didn't really start reading until this year, hah.
I don't really have a favorite author, but I really enjoy Science Fiction novels, or anything about sociology.

GARBAGE DAY!

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #34 on: February 08, 2010, 07:44:22 PM
Anyone study Philosophy by any chance? ;)

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline obi325

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: February 10, 2010, 10:39:05 AM
Anyone study Philosophy by any chance? ;)

I had some sort of Philosophy major in high school.

Offline xScQ

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • We are U.N.I.T.E.D!
Reply #36 on: February 11, 2010, 09:02:48 PM
- What are you reading ATM?
Not reading at the moment because I'm way too busy, but I have started on Carl Sagan's Demon Haunted World.

- What was the last book you read?
Hollywood Causes Cancer by Tom Green

- Can you recommend some books?
Carl Sagan, Oliver Sacks, Joseph Campbell, Michio Kaku, Vilayanur S. Ramachandran, Dan Dennett, Jared Diamond, Zecharia Sitchin, Sanjay Gupta, Alex Caine, Richard Zoglin, Peter McAllister, Penn Jillette.

- Fav genre, author
Science(fiction), (auto)biography, sport.
No favorite, but probably Carl Sagan.

Offline Silvia

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Reply #37 on: September 14, 2010, 11:01:08 PM
The last book I read was Sara's key by Tatiana de Rosnay. I LOVED this book, read in 3 days xD
Now I'm reading Sophie's choice by William Styron. It was recommended in Sarah's key. Only read 2 capters, the capters are too long and it makes it a bit boring...

Both book are related to the holocaust.

I still have to finish reading:
- Anna Frank's diary (started it like 3 years ago XD)
- The last from Harry Potter... I bought it when it was released  lol and the first movie will be released in november...
- September lights by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (For now, boring, I don't like books with too many descriptions... but I'll finish it)

Don't know if comic count too but the last I read was "harukana machi he/Distant Neighborhood/Barrio Lejano" by Jiro Taniguchi and the next will be "Kodoku no gurume/El gourmet solitario" by Jiro Taniguchi and Masayuki Kusumi

I used to like fantasy books... But now I like books about history, real stories, relationships, stories that link the past and the present...
I like HP books because it has some "human" stories though (Don't know how to say xD)

Offline GoskinsVT

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: September 15, 2010, 02:16:31 AM

Benjamin Franklin: An American Life

His Excellency George Washington

Talk to me if you like the American Revolution ;)

- Fav genre, author

Joseph Ellis, See above.

Offline Unoriginal Name X

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: September 21, 2010, 11:55:06 AM
Tietam Brown by Mick Foley.

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Hearts in Atlantis by Stephen King. Probably my favourite King stories (Low Men in Yellow Coats, the title story and Heavenly Shades of Night are Falling. Other two stories in the book are good too but the first two are excellent and the fifth wraps them up quite well). A prime example of the old saying "the book is better than movie".

- Fav genre, author
Mainly read horror and my favourite author is the aforementioned Stephen King.

Offline eda

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: November 12, 2010, 08:02:08 PM
I like Haruki Murakami books, i was read "After Dark", "Norwegian Wood", "A Wild Sheep Chase" and now i'm reading "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle". Last time i was read Lian Hearn trylogy and a lots of novels to school like Goethe, Kafka. I want to read someday Yoshiki's biography ^^

Offline xScQ

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • We are U.N.I.T.E.D!
Reply #41 on: November 12, 2010, 09:14:15 PM
Tietam Brown by Mick Foley.

Foley is good!

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #42 on: November 12, 2010, 10:03:53 PM
I like Haruki Murakami books, i was read "After Dark", "Norwegian Wood", "A Wild Sheep Chase" and now i'm reading "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle". Last time i was read Lian Hearn trylogy and a lots of novels to school like Goethe, Kafka. I want to read someday Yoshiki's biography ^^

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is my favourite Murakami book, it's absolutely superb in all aspects.

I'm now reading Flaubert.

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline iluvpinkspider

• Sunday Listener
  • do you bleed for the fantasy?
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: November 15, 2010, 02:57:30 AM
At the moment i'm reading the "Ask A Ninja" handbook and "Mothers of Invention: Women of the Slaveholding South in the American Civil War"

If you could have told me everything
You would have found what love is
For now I will try to live for you and for me
I will try to live with love, with dreams,
and forever with tears

RIP hide! December 13, 1964-May 2, 1998

Offline elanor

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: January 13, 2011, 12:05:47 AM
at the moment I do read Colin Dexter, the detectiv stories with inspector Morse, very good thrillers, exciting and real good story telling
and to enlarge my general knowledge I do read a book by Thilo Bode, the founder of "Foodwatch", a german NGO, about our food and the way the foodconcern are faking the content of our foodstuff, it is interesting and of cource scary and reminds me how diffecult it is, to find valuable and healthy stuff to eat. In german it´s called "Die Essensfälscher", don´t know, if it is available in english or so.
Last time, because of X-mas, I was reading Terry Pratchett "hogfather" - great entertainment.
In general, I love Fantasy stuff, like "Lord of the Rings" and "Wheel of Time"

Humans need to believe in things that aren´t true. How else can they  become? (Terry Pratchett -Hogfather)

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #45 on: January 13, 2011, 06:55:23 PM
Just finished V. by Thomas Pynchon - Fantastically unique. Now I'm onto Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: January 14, 2011, 08:41:00 PM
Reading The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie right now. Pretty good dark fantasy stuff, like it. Looking forward to read his other books.

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #47 on: October 25, 2018, 11:47:25 AM
I didn't know we had some place in this forum to discuss books! BOOKS! Awesome. Lovely.

I have to admit this right away... I hated reading books as a kid/teen, cause all there was to read for my age was imo boring bullcrap. It wasn't until I discovered the Harry Potter series thanks to all the hype back then, that I decided to give reading a second chance as a considered hobby of mine. Still I have read way more manga than actual books in my lifetime, but I remember some awesome books I've read.

So these are the books I read most recently (this year and last year):
- Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne
- Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
- The Compte of Monte-Christo by Alexandre Dumas

Favorite books of all-time:
- A street Cat named Bob by James Bowen - seriously... I love this book and the story behind so much, that I actually gave my copy to one of my brothers... you should all read it! It is heart-warming! <3
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen -  yeah I admit it... I love this kind of stuff

Books that I think are good, but would never read for fun:
- Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
- To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee

I actually have a pile of books and mangas at home that I still want to read. I will take a look at the stuff there as I come home and maybe edit this post again.

What have you been reading x-Freaks?

While I'm away, read this line again...

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: October 26, 2018, 04:40:41 PM
YEY, thanks Kasumi for reviving this topic!

I see that we have similar tastes in books. Tolstoy, Dumas, Huxley and Harper Lee and some of the best authors I ever read.

Interesting books I read this year (in honour of the third (?) feminist wave and all that jazz, this year I comitted to reading only books written by women):

- Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel > the kind of book you read when you're either depressed or in a lifelong love affair with Sigmund Freud, and lucky for me, I'm the latter.

- How to be a woman, by Caitlin Moran > would never have picked this one up if a friend didn't challenge me to. Those were seriously the funniest 300 pages I ever read.

- The Female Eunuch, by Germaine Greer > Germaine has a bad rap and I don't fully agree with some of her views, but this one's a classic.

- The Colour Purple, by Alice Walker > this one hits very close to home, especially when you've got a lot of African folks in the family, which is my case.

- I, Tituba, black witch of Salem, by Maryse Condé > SOMEONE GIVE THIS WOMAN A NOBEL PRIZE. Same as the above, dropped a lot of tears reading this one.

- The Vernon Subutex triology, by Virginie Despentes > this French author is still largely unknown abroad but trust me, this Despentes lady is Yoshiki, if Yoshiki was into punk literature. 10/10

Woah, I can haz admin colour.

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #49 on: October 27, 2018, 06:10:12 PM
@matsumoto: Yay!  :D I really like the writing of these authors, too.

Anyone of you heard of the site: https://www.goodreads.com
?
Or is anyone here maybe already registered? You can easily keep track of what you've been reading and get recommondations according to the books you've read and stuff.

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #50 on: October 29, 2018, 02:00:37 AM
I joined Goodreads a few years back but have never read anything on there, so far.  I think I am just too hyper to sit still on a computer to read like that but maybe I will give it a shot some day.

I used to read a LOT and belonged to a Mystery book club and also one for Horror as I love those types of things, especially Stephen King, Peter Straub and Dean Koontz.  After I had my son, I could no longer read without it putting me to sleep which was very disturbing and a bummer for me.  I read for a minimum of an hour every night in bed, before falling asleep.  After I had him, I could not read for more than 5 minutes without falling asleep and that was a let down.  I finally gave up.

Do you have to have an ereader or an iPad to read these kindle publications? Sorry I am really out of the loop with these things as I just didn't think I could hold my mind still enough to read online or on a device so I didn't try it.

I would love to read Harper Lee's 2nd book that is the prequel, I believe? to To Kill a Mockingbird.  I have never read To Kill a Mockingbird but I have an old, old copy of the movie on VHS and believe it or not, I play it often to fall asleep.   The beginning of the movie has such peaceful sounds.  Coming from a farming community with a grandmother who looked after all of her grandkids and her own children, especially my mother - her only daughter, watching and listening to that movie is like going back in time to a more peaceful place for me, even if it was years before my time.  It's still similar and the sounds are very familiar so it lulls me to sleep in peaceful dreaming. 

Sometimes our tears blinded the love
We lost out dreams along the way
But I never thought you'd trade your soul to the fates
Never thought you'd leave me alone

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #51 on: October 29, 2018, 11:49:55 AM
Do you have to have an ereader or an iPad to read these kindle publications? Sorry I am really out of the loop with these things as I just didn't think I could hold my mind still enough to read online or on a device so I didn't try it.
Sometimes I feel like I am living under a rock or something, because I have honestly no idea. ^^° I don't know a thing about these modern E-Reader thingy or E-Pubs or whatever all this stuff is called. I still read all my books on solid paper... like back in the days. Not on Screen.

There is an old telephone booth in the neighbourhood, which isn't used as a telephone booth anymore, cause it was turned into a public bookshelf instead. You can drop off some old books there and take some with you. All for free. That's were I get most of the stuff from that I've read recently. Which is also why I haven't read much recent literature.

I would love to read Harper Lee's 2nd book that is the prequel, I believe? to To Kill a Mockingbird.  I have never read To Kill a Mockingbird but I have an old, old copy of the movie on VHS and believe it or not, I play it often to fall asleep.   The beginning of the movie has such peaceful sounds.  Coming from a farming community with a grandmother who looked after all of her grandkids and her own children, especially my mother - her only daughter, watching and listening to that movie is like going back in time to a more peaceful place for me, even if it was years before my time.  It's still similar and the sounds are very familiar so it lulls me to sleep in peaceful dreaming.
Oh yes the movie is beautiful. Very peaceful in the beginning. We watched the movie back in the days, because my best friend didn't wanted to read the book. :D We watched it a second time in our english class. My BFF instantly fell in love with one of the actors. :D Gregory Peck... good looking guy seriously.

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #52 on: October 29, 2018, 12:11:46 PM
There are little glass booths around town, here, where people take books that they don't want anymore, I guess.  They look like cabinets.  As bad as vandals are, you would think they would trash these things in an instant just because they can but they don't.  Apparently you just open the little glass doors and take out what you want and put what you have to share inside and leave.  I'm not sure that's exactly how it works but it looks that way.   They're sort of on the side of the roads as you are going past, in town.   I have never asked the ex to pull over so I could look because I know he wouldn't, anyway. 

Yes, Gregory Peck was a good looking man, apparently.  He is not my type but he is pleasant to look at I guess.  Definitely not bad on the eyes, anyway.   :)

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #53 on: October 29, 2018, 02:37:35 PM
...and could probably quote all the article’s on psychology today! Ha!

High five, #metoo!

and one that Matsumoto may appreciate: A Year in the Merde by Stephen Clarke.

HOHAHAHA how did you know it? That was the funniest book ever written on France. I still quote it when I need to piss off the French (i.e. very often). Clarke wrote a whole series, I think, and I read them all. If you a slightly more premium version of Clarke's series, read Paris To The Moon by New Yorker journalist Adam Gopnik. Gopnik does an even better job at exposing French idiosyncracies, except he does it with a whole new level of finesse and literary elegance.

I have never read To Kill a Mockingbird but I have an old, old copy of the movie on VHS and believe it or not, I play it often to fall asleep.

This is one of the best films ever made, IMHO. It has these little moments that are just so simple and so trasient and so candid yet so genius, like that one fleeting moment where Atticus reaches out to close the door, revealing Boo Radley hiding behind it. The sequence lasts about two minutes, but I assure you those are some of the best two minutes in film history: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRmIef02Ajk

You don't need a Kindle or an iPad, you can read e-books on any smartphone or tablet with the Amazon kindle app. But I agree with you and Kasumi, I can't read long formats on screen, I just lose focus.  ;)

Woah, I can haz admin colour.

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #54 on: October 29, 2018, 04:17:16 PM
I loooooove Boo Radley.   ;D Well, not really but I love that scene.  I doubt there is a single scene in that movie that I don't like.  And the beginning is very peaceful, like a time when I would spend the day on my grandparent's farm.  I miss those days so much.   Those days, my cousins, my grandma, even my mom.  Miss my mom's uncles and aunts coming to visit and my grandma's cooking, too.  Miss everything.   ;D

Offline REM ~Piscean Dreams~

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #55 on: October 30, 2018, 02:06:40 AM
- Fav genre, author

Et cetera, et cetera, everything, anything concerning books, I guess you got that by now  :P

I'm not reading anything at the moment , but I just finished The Lost World by Michael Crichton tonight, it's the second one of the Jurassic Park books.
I loved both! So much awesomeness! If you liked the movies, you gonna love the books because they explain a lot and fill some plot holes from the movies.
They differ very much from the films, not in a bad way, though.

Next one to read will be one of these:

- The Birds/kiss Me Stranger by Daphne du Maurier
- The Shining by Stephen King
- Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
- A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

Discuss!
Mary Shelley is actually one of my Ancestors! I've yet to read one of her books, (I really want to, though!)    :'(

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #56 on: July 17, 2019, 10:48:23 AM
Guys! Did you read any interesting new stuff lately?  :D

I'm currently reading "Crime and Punishment" (i like the german title better "Schuld und Sühne" sounds more poetic) by Dostojewski. And damn this is so good. Would recommend. I'm still not done reading it. So no spoilers please. I might finish the book today, if I got enough time. Looking forward to it.  :)

Offline hatsor

• Administrator
  • Rookie
  • Without music, life would be a mistake.-Nietzsche
    • View Profile
Reply #57 on: July 17, 2019, 10:52:53 AM
What a great choice Kasumi. Dostoyevsky is great and I also intend to read Crime and Punishment in the near future. I've gotten many recommendations on how good it is  ;D

I'm currently reading "Blindness"(Ensaio sobre a Cegueira in portuguese) by José Saramago, a portuguese writer who won the nobel prize of literature. I recommend the book to everyone, it's really good  :)

Also finished Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion last week and recommend for all sci-fi fans  :)

I know not what tomorrow will bring. - F.P.

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
  • Bokuwa ongakuka, dentaku katateni。
    • View Profile
    • some kind of nerdness...
Reply #58 on: July 18, 2019, 07:15:21 AM
I like this topic,

I once read the book "Perfume" which is really ... uhm... strange in a way. It is originally from a German writer named Patrick Süßkind. The story is about Jean-Baptiste Grenouille, an unloved 18th-century French orphan who is born with an exceptional sense of smell, being able to distinguish a vast range of scents in the world around him. Grenouille becomes a perfumer but later becomes involved in murder when he encounters a young girl with an unsurpassed wondrous scent.

Also I want to read "We" by  Yevgeny Zamyatin. The stroy is set in the future. D-503, a spacecraft engineer, lives in the One State, an urban nation constructed almost entirely of glass, which assists mass surveillance. It is a dystopian novel written in 1920-1921.

positively unsure。

Offline kayabee

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • Poetry
Reply #59 on: July 18, 2019, 09:41:50 PM
 im currently reading  helter skelter by Vincent Bugliosi, Curt Gentry. It goes into detailed about the manson family if anyone is into murder/gore like me

i've been needing some recs because all i really have read is teen fiction and anna karenina once, but that chapters were too short and it was kinda boring