Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
on: April 02, 2008, 01:11:20 PM
- What are you reading ATM?
- What was the last book you read?
- Can you recommend some books?
- Fav genre, author

Et cetera, et cetera, everything, anything concerning books, I guess you got that by now  :P

I'm not reading anything at the moment , but I just finished The Lost World by Michael Crichton tonight, it's the second one of the Jurassic Park books.
I loved both! So much awesomeness! If you liked the movies, you gonna love the books because they explain a lot and fill some plot holes from the movies.
They differ very much from the films, not in a bad way, though.

Next one to read will be one of these:

- The Birds/kiss Me Stranger by Daphne du Maurier
- The Shining by Stephen King
- Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
- A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

Discuss!

RIP

Offline violence

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 01:27:06 PM
I just finished the book "neuromancer" by william gibson. It was atcually really good. normally i'm not much for sci-fi, but this one was well written! and very un-cheesey
also.. the first chapter of the book is called "Chiba City Blues" which i think would make an awsome pata song title!

i've been trying to read "Naked lunch" for a while, but even though its a classic, i'm having a hard time getting to it.....
ah well

also..ferret, do you find reading books that you've seen the movie of hard.?

Offline nage

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 01:27:39 PM
- reading mass media crap fro school

- the last book I read: Sharpe's Fortress by Bernard Cornwell (haven't finished reading yet)

- anything by Robin Hobb, Neil Gaiman, Andrzej Sapkowski (Wiedzmin = The Witcher) and Juraj Cervenak (read his Out Of Sacred Water in an upcoming issue of Weird Tales), Bernard Cornwell

- fave genres: fantasy, historic, horror, thriller, mystery

- fave author: Robin Hobb (The Farseer trilogy, The Tawny Man trilogy and the others)

May X be with you!

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 01:32:22 PM
Quote from: "violence"

but even though its a classic, i'm having a hard time getting to it.....
ah well

I had that problem with Treasure Island, Robinson Crusoe and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (I loved The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer, though).

RIP

Offline Skooter

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 01:33:15 PM
Yeah, I heard the Jurassic Park books are a lot better than the movies (not that the movies aren't fun, but not exactly high art there either XD). I really want to read a Michael Crichton book.

I'm currently reading The Accidental by Ali Smith. It's a class assignment but so far I like it very much. It's very postmodern and confusing though, so it's only for people who like that sort of stuff.
My last finished book is Ernest Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises. I really liked  it, it was my first Hemingway and I adore his style!

Some of my favourite authors are Gerald Durrell, Jane Austen, Stephen Fry, Nancy Mitford, Oscar Wilde, Yukio Mishima, Stig Dagerman, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Amélie Nothomb, Diana Wynne Jones, Franz Kafka, ...

Random favourite books are Catch-22, The World According to Garp, Life of Pi, Le Grand Meaulnes, Brideshead Revisited, the Harry Potter series XD, ...

I don't really have favourite genres, I love just about anything. I also read a lot of poetry and sometimes a short story XD.
I'm gonna major in literature, by the way :p.

Offline violence

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 01:34:59 PM
hahaha, ya, since it's such a famous/important book, i kinda feel dumb for "not getting it" oh well

Offline nage

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 01:37:37 PM
Quote from: "Skooter"
the Harry Potter series XD, ...

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
I forgot to mention that.. o_o; *dumb* I so love those books! Ones of the best I've read!

May X be with you!

Offline alex

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 04:27:35 PM
I'm reading "North Korea Under Communism - Report of an Envoy to Paradise" by Erik Cornell. It's a book that a former Swedish ambassador to North Korea wrote. Actually Sweden was the only western country allowed to have an embassy in North Korea due to our neutral policy - one might think about how neutral it really was, but oh well. It's possible that Switzerland might have been allowed as well. Anyway, he's writing about his experiences with North Korean officials and "North Korean citizens". Very interesting!

I'm probably going to Panmunjon (border city from South Korea to North Korea) on Sunday. I think I only read these kind of things nowadays. I'm already getting pretty damn boring, at my age! Eek... How is this gonna end? So, I guess my favourite genre is 'boring books'. Therefore, I obviously won't recommend anything :P

Offline Mii

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • LAST.FM PAGE
Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 05:44:51 PM
Sometime ago finished reading "When I whistle" (or 'Kuiskaus' as it called here in Finland) by Shusaku Endo. Shusaku Endo is brilliant writer and I really recommend you all to try his books.

ATM: The Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds

We Are X! Since 2001!
Psychedelic Violence|Crime of Visual Shock
Last.FM|XFreak Moment

Offline Envenom

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 06:13:11 PM
Finished Kader Abdolah's "Spijkerschrift" (translated into English as "My father's notebook"). A great book that is one of the finest examples of Dutch literature of the last couple of years (which is amazing, since Abdolah was in his late 30s when he learned the language!). Themes include the history of Iran (before and after the muslims took over) and a friendship between a father and his son. Beats the hell out of "The kite runner" if you ask me, which is comparable.

At the moment I'm trying to get through Moliere's "Tartuffe". My French is okay, but not that good I'm afraid.....

http://www.myspace.com/sunrisehmsh

SUNRISE: the heavy metal benchpressing maniacs running wild!

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 07:42:41 PM
Mostly I read fantasy ('The Wheel of Time' books by R. Jordan, 'The Black Magician' series by T. Canavan, 'Eragon' by C. Paolini etc) sci-fi ('The Foundation' series by I. Asimov, 'Return from the Stars' by Stanisław Lem etc) but also other good books ('1984' by G. Orwell, 'The Old Man and the Sea' by E. Hemingway, 'The Catcher in the Rye' by J. D. Salinger etc)...

Right now I'm in the middle of 'The Wheel of Time book 11: Knife of Dreams' by Robert Jordan...

This is my administrator color.

Offline Zwanster

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 08:36:01 PM
Currently reading A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami and On The Road by Jack Kerouac, I rarely have just one book on the go, its quite stupid of me really...

Offline nage

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 08:51:40 PM
By the way: I've read only ONE book since I started working (part-time) in a bookshop last year.... XD

May X be with you!

Offline kendofreak

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 09:29:48 PM
i just finished reading "Battle Royale" by Koushun Takami for the 3rd time! fantastic novel!

Offline Skooter

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 10:38:39 PM
Quote from: "Zwanster"
Currently reading A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami and On The Road by Jack Kerouac, I rarely have just one book on the go, its quite stupid of me really...

I haven't read that Murakami but I loved Kafka on the Shore, he's a pretty amazing writer! On the Road is incredible too, gotta love those beatniks =D.

Quote from: "nage"
By the way: I've read only ONE book since I started working (part-time) in a bookshop last year.... XD

Are you kidding? I'm so jealous!! Working in a bookshop is my dream T__T. Though I'd buy more books than I'd sell XD.

Offline nage

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 11:08:41 PM
Quote from: "Skooter"
Are you kidding? I'm so jealous!! Working in a bookshop is my dream T__T. Though I'd buy more books than I'd sell XD.

Hahaha... no. My DREAM turned to a nightmare thanks to my colleague... but I still love bookshops in general. But working in a booskhop is a crazy job, believe me. And especially when you work almost for free... >,<#

But I want to own a small bookshop with my two friends... in the future.

May X be with you!

Offline magucathy

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 12:46:25 PM
ha.... on one has posted here for almost a year.....

just finished reading Stephanie Meyer's Twilight Sage (I am not a teenage though....LOL)
I love thriller, romance suspense...... I read 2-5 books per month.
did anyone read Boris Starling's Messiah? (I remember I almost throw up reading it on the bus some years ago...)   also love The Analyst by John Katzenbach. I am reading Scream for me by Karen Rose at the moment.

Offline magucathy

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 01:23:14 PM
I could barely read through 1 paragraph of Twilight...
Teen romance is not my thing.
I was rather let down because I had heard it was a vampire story, but all it is, is a teen romance written in a rather unproffesional style imo.
To each his own, I guess.

oh, yes, I was thinking the same, I don't like teen romance, I don't like vampire story (But I love the film interview with the vampire) yes, it's poorly written (judge by my poor English) anyway, I finished reading them.
on the other side, I can't finish one page of Harry Potter....

OMG! you are reading House of Leaves?? it seems to be something very complicated and scary.... I doubt I can understand....    ::)

Offline Skooter

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 07:35:16 PM
I kind of hate Twilight with a passion XD. I gave up halfway through the first book. But oh well, I know a lot of people *do* like it.

My best friend got a panic attack reading House of Leaves XD. Anything like that happening to you, Ami?

I'm currently reading Tolstoy's War and Peace, which is also very, very long. But yay, Russians!

Offline Ryo-Ohki

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 02:35:47 AM
At the moment.. I am reading The Cat Who Blew the Whistle by Lillian Jackson Braun and Brightly Burning by Mercedes Lackey.
The last book I read was Take a Thief by Mercedes Lackey.

My recomendations...  Job: A Comedy of Justice By Robert A. Heinlein, Any of The Cat Who books by Lillian Jackson Braun.

The Dragon Riders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey, The books by Mercedes Lackey that I recomend:  The Dragon Jousters series, most anything in the Valdemar series.  But here is a list of her books, By series,  I've read nearly All of books in the Valdemar universe.

As it's obvious.. I'm sci-fi/fantasy fan... and my three favortie authors are Lillian Jackson Braun, Anne McCaffrey, and Mercedes Lackey.

This/these images are posted under the fair rights agreement. Copyright belongs to the respective owners.

Offline holly.x

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: May 24, 2009, 06:39:59 PM
reading A New Earth - Awakening to Your Life's Purpose by Eckhart Tolle.  think i'm at the time of my life to really learn to know myself and the power of inner self.  anytime later would be too late as I'm not young anymore.

Offline Ashura

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: July 08, 2009, 05:45:36 PM
Just finished reading Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince once again, I wanted to read it before I saw the movie~ I think I fell in love with Harry Potter books again. :D

We're X!

Offline roseofpain84

• Fan
  • [X Japan] and [Harry Potter] obsessed.
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: July 08, 2009, 06:09:09 PM
I'm n love with the HP books constantly....XD

Things I've read the past 2 and a half weeks:

The Bad Tuesdays: Twisted Symmetry by Benjamin S. Myers
The Dragonfly Pool by Eva Ibbotson
Havemercy by Jaida Jones and Danielle Bennett
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

And yesterday I started The Falconer's Knot by Mary Hoffman.

Mm...I love having time off of work.....<3 T_T

Yeah, I'm a Yoshiki fangirl. SUE ME.

Offline lucy_bkk

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: July 09, 2009, 09:20:16 AM
My friend bought Chinese translation of " der Schwarm" by Frank SCHATZING (German).. (science fiction)...(Englsih name is SWARM but not available in my city..) it made me think of Transformer... only different is SWARM based on undersea world which live more intelligent race than humankind.  scary but can be true....anyone interest in science fiction then i strongly to recommend this book.

Offline X mistress

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: July 09, 2009, 10:29:57 AM
Right now I'm reading exam book "Culture and Everyday Life". It's interesting actually even though it's an exam book.

But when I get rid of this (that is tomorrow) I'm gonna continue Musashi by Yoshikawa Eiji. I recommed it for everyone. It contains many historical facts but mostly it's a "normal" novel. There's so many hilarious episodes and fluid dialogues. Once I read in a train and several times I had to burst into laughing out loud. The humor is so subtle, not forced at all.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 12:44:07 PM by X mistress »

"A lifetime is only an insignificant interval in the endless flow of time"

Offline HarZy

• Fan
  • Sex, drugs and visual shock
    • View Profile
    • My Last.fm profile
Reply #25 on: July 09, 2009, 11:13:16 AM
I'm reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix for the millionth time.  :D
NeXt book I'll read will be Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, 'cause I'm reading all Harry Potters from last to first right now.
After them I'll probably re-read some of my Terry Pratchett books.

Offline BloodofBathory

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • MySpace page
Reply #26 on: August 23, 2009, 01:13:44 AM
I'm currently reading The Illiad and Vampire Hunter D: Mysterious Journey to the North Sea pt. 2.
The last book I read was 'The Sleeping Beauty Proposal'...I picked it up and just kept reading. It was weird. And an autobiography "Stolen Life: The Journey of a Cree Woman" by Yvonne Johnson and Rudy Wiebe
I'd recommend "A Time To Kill" by John Grisham, "The Chronicles of Narnia', any of the Vampire Hunter D books, Harry Potter series, or The Count of Monte Cristo.
I read the Twilight series, but I have to say I hate Bella Swan, she was my problem through that entire series. I almost couldn't finish it, I have a horrible habit. Once I start a series, I have to finish a series.  But she pissed me off more than ever in the last book, I had to cheat and read the last chapter before I continued.  I think the author was stoned or something on the last book...she was off her rocker. It was horrible.
My favorite genre is Fantasy...not to sure about favorite author though. When I was younger it was R.L Stein but now I'll read anything by anyone.

The seven vices I love ~ They are all sweet poison ~ Born from my mouth

Offline HarZy

• Fan
  • Sex, drugs and visual shock
    • View Profile
    • My Last.fm profile
Reply #27 on: August 23, 2009, 10:36:52 AM
Now I'm reading Terry Pratchett's Feet of Clay. I had forgotten how great writer Terry Pratchett was. :D

Offline iluvpinkspider

• Sunday Listener
  • do you bleed for the fantasy?
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: November 09, 2009, 04:59:23 PM
ATM, i'm reading "The Black Dahlia Files" by Donald H. Wolfe. It's very interesting.
The last book i read...hmmm...i think it was "The Prophecies of Nostradamus".
What would i recommend? hmmm...well, "The Zombie Survival Guide" and "The Vampire Survival Guide". they're really funny (to me, at least)
My favorite genres: humor, true crime, history, horror
My favorite author: i have too many to name!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 05:01:15 PM by iluvpinkspider »

If you could have told me everything
You would have found what love is
For now I will try to live for you and for me
I will try to live with love, with dreams,
and forever with tears

RIP hide! December 13, 1964-May 2, 1998

Offline cherrybeary520x

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Reply #29 on: November 09, 2009, 11:15:20 PM
right now i'm reading some boring book called "Jo's Boys"
i HAVE to read it because it's part of some stupid reading program that helps me get better grades on my Reading scores.........