• XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Richard Fortus to play guitar at Tokyo Dome shows

Lucs · 11449

Offline Lucs

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xploson
on: March 20, 2008, 12:26:29 PM
Richard Fortus announced on his website that he's gonna play guitar with X Japan at their show in March !

He will play the 3 nights !

Richard Fortus is currently a member of Guns N'Roses.

Source : http://www.4tus.com/ (official site)

THAT IS SO GREAT !!!!

Offline Lucs

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xploson
Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 12:37:26 PM
Just for those who don't know ! When Guns N'Roses played in Japan last year, Richard Fortus (and Robin Finck) played Endless Rain (just on guitar, not the full song).

Richard Fortus is a really good guitar player. For those who don't know him, you can try to find some videos of Guns N'Roses latest tour !

I'm really happy cause it's kind of a little "reunion" on my 2 favorites bands :)

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 12:40:33 PM
Awesome, Richard rocks and I'm sure he met Yoshiki while working with him on the Repo Soundtrack.

EDIT: BTW, thanks for the Info  :wink:

EDITEDIT: Here two soli by Richard Solo and November Rain, and one by him followed by a Duet with Robin Finck Klick

Offline Artseeker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 01:22:23 PM
THAT'S great fucking news :D

Offline himurakenshin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 03:56:53 PM
I hope that this can really improve international exposure of X JAPAN - using foreign guitarists from reasonably well known bands like Limp Bizkit and Guns N' Roses. They need to get as much exposure as possible they plan to play US, and not in just some  Anime Convention, like most other japanese bands. Anyways Fortus is a pretty good guitarist, so I'm happy with this choice. Let's see what Yoshiki is planning...

Offline X-J

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 04:19:51 PM
Sounds way better than the LB guy... More "honest", somehow, and "more eighties".

Only what is in motion can rest."
-Martin Heidegger

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 04:54:20 PM
Quote from: "himurakenshin"
I hope that this can really improve international exposure of X JAPAN - using foreign guitarists from reasonably well known bands like Limp Bizkit and Guns N' Roses....

That may be a sideeffect of chosing these guys, but I don't think that's the intention. Wes said he's a long time friend of Yoshiki and he had a track on the Catabombs Soundtrack and Richard worked on the Repo Soundtrack, so he seems to chose the people which he knows and thinks will fit.
So with Richard playing with X, my two favorite bands become one (more or less)  :lol:

Offline Lucs

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xploson
Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 05:12:32 PM
Quote from: "Matthias"

So with Richard playing with X, my two favorite bands become one (more or less)  :lol:

Just like me :D That's so cool 8)

Offline Arucard

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • http://j-metal.ueuo.com
Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 05:59:32 PM
Quote from: "X-J"
Sounds way better than the LB guy... More "honest", somehow, and "more eighties".

Second that...

img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e396/Erocard/Clipboard01-4.jpg[/img]

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 06:13:33 PM
More "eighties" perhaps, but in which way is he more "honest"? By his look? Right, he's not such a showman like Wes, but that's neither negative or positive for me, cause hide was everything but "honest" (if with honest the visual style is meant) *g* So I'm happy that Yoshiki put Richard, but I'm also happy to see Wes.

Offline VioletCamicat

• Die-hard fan
  • Beware of the toxic kitten!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/violet_camicat
Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 06:31:59 PM
Damned! Just now I'm sad that G'n'R aren't in original line-up anymore, haha! Then it could be Slash! :D Imagine Slash and Pata next to each other! CURL ATTACK! WOOSH!

Well, I'm curious who's next, hehe.

mod mode

And out of the chaos I heard a voice telling me:
"Smile and be happy - it could have become worse!"
So I smiled and was happy... and it became worse

Offline Lucs

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xploson
Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 06:36:45 PM
Quote from: "VioletCamicat"
Damned! Just now I'm sad that G'n'R aren't in original line-up anymore, haha! Then it could be Slash! :D Imagine Slash and Pata next to each other! CURL ATTACK! WOOSH!

That would just rule !!! Pata is a Japanese Slash (in his look, same hair, same guitar), maybe Slash is just a little more fat than Pata lol !

Offline Hollywood

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/363181252
Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 09:00:39 PM
Quote from: "Arucard"
Quote from: "X-J"

Second that...

Third that. 8)

As for the "honest" thing: to me, his style of playing sounds more honest (more heartfelt, I guess?).  Hard to explain and I'm not sure if that's what X-J originally meant, though that's how I feel about it.  Other guitarists I consider "honest", for comparison: Tak Matsumoto, Slash, Pata, hide... others too, but that's some idea anyway.

Anyway, I love the old GNR but haven't kept a close eye on them lately, so I didn't know about this guy.  Watched those youtube videos and... HELL YEAH, now THAT is some rock & fucking roll!!  I LIKE THIS GUY.  Hell, forget "guest"-- can we have this dude in X permanently please? :mrgreen: (Would suck for GNR though...)

Found another really cool clip of him on youtube-- his guitar parts from You Could Be Mine, and a little Think About You at the end:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZAl7ITr0D4&NR=1[/youtube]

@Lucs, totally agree that Pata is a Japanese Slash... Pata should try the hat sometime, heheh.

color=darkred]STAND UP!  FUCK UP![/color]

Offline BizKiTRoAcH

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 04:34:05 PM
I saw Guns N Roses live a year or 2 ago, Richard Fortus is pretty awesome so he is a good addition to the lineup.

ben

Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 11:42:05 PM
Richard Fortus is a popular session guitar player, meaning that he has been chosen by many artists, songwriters and also film composers all over the world to work with them. He has very strong technical ability in his guitar playing, and also he has great personality onstage. Anybody who saw him on the Guns N Roses tour knows that he is energetic onstage and very exciting. He will be a valued addition to the live lineup. This makes me even more sad and frustrated that I can't see them, because like others have said here, its kind of like my two favourite bands coming together.

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: April 04, 2008, 03:13:22 PM
A Message from Richards homepage:

"I'd like to thank X Japan and their fans for the kindness and generosity they showed me while i was in Japan.  It was such an incredible honor to be asked to share their stage!  This was an event that i will never forget.  The last night especially was very magical and incredibly emotional.  Hide was a star of such magnitude that nobody will ever fill the hole he left.  It was an honor to be able to pay tribute to him.  I hope that i am able to do more shows with X Japan in the future."

- rf

Offline Zwanster

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: April 04, 2008, 06:56:55 PM
Quote from: "Matthias"
A Message from Richards homepage:

"I'd like to thank X Japan and their fans for the kindness and generosity they showed me while i was in Japan.  It was such an incredible honor to be asked to share their stage!  This was an event that i will never forget.  The last night especially was very magical and incredibly emotional.  Hide was a star of such magnitude that nobody will ever fill the hole he left.  It was an honor to be able to pay tribute to him.  I hope that i am able to do more shows with X Japan in the future."

- rf

I hope he plays more shows with X in the future too!

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 09:14:23 AM
So I just took a look at this homepage and what did I find? Some pictures of the Tokyo Dome Shows, so here we go:

You'll find some more (and in better resolution on his homepage)

Offline Lucs

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xploson
Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 09:56:42 AM
It's just so weird to see Richard next to Sugizo !!!

Haha, and the roadie wears a Guns N'Roses t-shirt ;D

Thanks for the pics they are great !!!

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 10:01:28 AM
Yeah, the shirt of the roadie was the first thinkg I noticed :)
Would be cool if there would surface some video-stuff of the rehearsals.