• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Wes Borland confirms himself for 28th and 29th

Matthias · 23195

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
on: March 18, 2008, 09:00:16 AM
On the MySpace Website of Black Light Burns (Wes Band) the former Limp Bizkit guitarist confirms that he's gonna play with X Japan on 28th and 29th at Tokyo. Curious if he's only one of many guitarplayers and also why he didn't talk about the 30th.

Source

And here a Link where you can watch the Lie Video by Black Light Burns, so you got an impression of Wes in motion (but he's only seen singing in this video).

Lie

Offline Lucs

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xploson
Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 10:07:08 AM
Is he a good guitar player ? Anybody knows ? I always thought Limp Bizkiz guitar was pretty "basic", but well, I don't know at all what he's doing now.

I think it'd be really cool if there was more than one guitarist at these shows !

Thanks for the info !

Offline Menacia

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 11:42:02 AM
lets wait and see. I have to admit that I know next to nothing about Wes' guitar skills.
Oh! And my thanks for info :D

Offline RoseOfPain

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 12:22:52 PM
good enough? well, in my opinion, HELL NO!
I know its certainly not up to me to decide who's gonna play hide's parts, but an ex Limp Bizkit member? are you joking?

I'VE GOT EXTASY, BUT I FEEL THE TEAR IS FALLING DOWN

Offline Artseeker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 12:25:23 PM
Wes Borland was in Limp Bizkit,not a band I really like actually...He has been in many bands after LB but still I don't like his style that much,I think there're far better guitarists out there
I don't think it is such a good choice honestly,but anyway he just has to play what hide played so there shouldn't be any problem because he doesn't have to add anything new(I HOPE) :roll:

Anyway,Wes Borland is supposed to be part of Violet Uk as well if I remember right,so it was pretty obvious Yoshiki would call him in such an occasion.
I think(just my opinion though)that we can expect also the guitarist from Sex Pistols to join the band eventually since he's a(supposed) member of Violet Uk too. :roll:

Offline darkcat21

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 12:39:24 PM
Steve Jones also played with Zilch  :?

hi there

Offline Artseeker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 12:41:52 PM
Quote from: "darkcat21"
Steve Jones also played with Zilch  :?

Really?I didn't know that,thanks for the info :wink:

So I think he's very possible candidate :?

Offline Hollywood

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/363181252
Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 06:23:43 PM
Before I start on this, I'd like to thank Matthias for posting this news.  Thanks!

Now then, with that out of the way...

The guy from Limp Bizkit???  FUCKING HELL, that's ridiculous!!  Yeah, I know, at least it's not some oshare kei guy.  Could always be worse.  And intellectually, I know I should wait and give him a chance before I decide what I think of this.

But emotionally speaking?  I'm pissed.  Thank god I didn't spend $2000 on getting to Tokyo; seeing some nu-metal dude play with X would for me be the concert equivalent going to a funeral to look at a friend's corpse.  My favorite band broke up in 1992 and I'm not interested in seeing the misshapen zombie of a once-kickass metal band staggering around.  Rather remember them as they were, thanks.

Not that I should be surprised, I guess-- this isn't exactly the first time Yoshiki's made a serious personnel mistake. :roll:

Honestly, if X Japan comes to LA in August on their world tour and they've still got some Limp Bizkit guy with them, I'm debating whether I'd rather spend my concert money on Poison instead.  And by the way, I'm an X fan of 12 years and the proud owner of a new 9-inch X tattoo on my leg (still a work in progress), if that gives anyone any idea of how much I LOVE the 1987-1992 X and how much I hate to see it have come to this.

color=darkred]STAND UP!  FUCK UP![/color]

Offline Hurley

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 06:51:06 PM
C'mon guys, be a little open minded, I'm sure he hates to be the "Limp Bizkit guy" too ;P From what I remember people talking, he is quite talented, a lot more talented than what you can see from his stuff in Limp Bizkit, I haven't really looked in to him myself tho. Maybe I should now that he is performing with my favourite band ;P

Mod color o' mine

Offline Lucs

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xploson
Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 06:57:59 PM
Quote from: "Hurley"
C'mon guys, be a little open minded, I'm sure he hates to be the "Limp Bizkit guy" too ;P From what I remember people talking, he is quite talented, a lot more talented than what you can see from his stuff in Limp Bizkit, I haven't really looked in to him myself tho. Maybe I should now that he is performing with my favourite band ;P

I agree with you with the open minded thing ;) It's why I just asked how good a guitarist he is (even though it's hard too judge a guitarist). It's just that of what I heard of Limp Bizkit, there weren't any solo like in X Japan for example.

Although I'm sure he's good, cause if he wasn't, X wouldn't have chosen him.

Offline VioletCamicat

• Die-hard fan
  • Beware of the toxic kitten!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/violet_camicat
Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 07:03:36 PM
Ewww and all the time I was wondering why I know these black eyes! :shock:

Uhm, I don't really know about his abilities, but what I've heard from that myspace-site - not really my taste. Same with Limp Bizkit. But yeah, since I'm not the one who may decide that...
*pushes Tak, Slash and some other guitar guys back into their holes secretly*

I'm still curious how this will be managed. One guitar-guy per show? Or only for a few songs and all in all 3 up to 6 different guys per show? Hm..

mod mode

And out of the chaos I heard a voice telling me:
"Smile and be happy - it could have become worse!"
So I smiled and was happy... and it became worse

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 07:05:04 PM
Quote from: "Hurley"

Second that. He's not a guitarist which one I was expecting, but at first I'm gonna wait and see how he will fit into the band and the music. So perhaps we should give him a chance.  :wink:

Offline Lucs

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xploson
Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 07:16:49 PM
Quote from: "VioletCamicat"

I'm still curious how this will be managed. One guitar-guy per show? Or only for a few songs and all in all 3 up to 6 different guys per show? Hm..

I was wondering the same thing !

It's gonna be "hard" for Pata cause I don't think X Japan songs are really easy to play with any other guitarists. Good luck to him :)

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 07:20:16 PM
Quote from: "Babak"
...or maybe something in common...

He has, weird makeup!  :wink:

Offline Amethyst_Dahlia

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart!
Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 08:05:37 PM
The Black Light Burns song "Lie" is on the Catacombs soundtrack, so that's probably how Wes Borland knows Yoshiki. XD

Anyway, I think we should all give Wes a chance. Obviously the most ideal situation would be if hide-sama could be playing on stage with X Japan, but since that unfortunately isn't an option, I think we should trust X Japan's decisions on who they pick for the guest guitarists. X Japan wants us fans to be happy. Also, they really care about hide and wouldn't want to have a guitarist in his place who they didn't think was adequate. So don't dismiss Wes, or any of the other guests for that matter, until you hear them play with X Japan. Then you can decide if you like them or not.

Offline Hollywood

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 09:04:03 PM
Well, like I said-- intellectually I know I should give him a chance.  And I'll still be buying the DVD when it comes out, and will reserve my final verdict until that point.  But what I feel about this in my gut is an entirely different story.  This is rock'n'roll, not everything needs to be rational. 8)

And in any case, I don't automatically trust Yoshiki's or X Japan's judgement.  There's plenty that he/they have done in the past which I disagree with; I'd be surprised if there isn't more in the future.  I love X, but for me that in no way means I'm obligated to trust every decision made in regard to it.  I'm sure Yoshiki wouldn't have chosen Wes Borland if he didn't find him appropriate, but Yoshiki also got rid of Taiji and replaced him with Heath.  Not dissing Heath here, nor am I dissing Wes as a person, just saying: that's one of the decisions I didn't like.

Offline Hurley

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 10:02:36 PM
Quote from: "Hollywood"
Well, like I said-- intellectually I know I should give him a chance.  And I'll still be buying the DVD when it comes out, and will reserve my final verdict until that point.  But what I feel about this in my gut is an entirely different story.  This is rock'n'roll, not everything needs to be rational. 8)

And in any case, I don't automatically trust Yoshiki's or X Japan's judgement.  There's plenty that he/they have done in the past which I disagree with; I'd be surprised if there isn't more in the future.  I love X, but for me that in no way means I'm obligated to trust every decision made in regard to it.  I'm sure Yoshiki wouldn't have chosen Wes Borland if he didn't find him appropriate, but Yoshiki also got rid of Taiji and replaced him with Heath.  Not dissing Heath here, nor am I dissing Wes as a person, just saying: that's one of the decisions I didn't like.

You don't need to automatically trust Yoshiki or X. I don't either. I just don't automatically disapprove of a musician if he has played in a crappy band in his past.

Mod color o' mine

Offline Lucs

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xploson
Reply #17 on: March 18, 2008, 10:22:09 PM

Haha ! When I started reading your post I was sure you were gonna talk about how Yoshiki fired Taiji ! Lol ! ;)

Well, it's just a matter of taste anyway. And we all have our own tastes. Yoshiki has his too. For sure not everybody will like the decision he (or the band) do(es). But it's just like that, we can't do anything !

Same as you Hurley, I really try not to "misjudge" musicians because of his past.

Offline friday

• Moderators
  • Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: March 19, 2008, 07:58:40 AM
I don't really know how to explain it, but the "Guest Guitarists" or whatever just kinda ruins it all for me.. I'm not dissing any of the players, whoever they will be, but its just.. "X Japan + Wes Borland... X Japan + Famous guitarist" It will kind of take the focus off the songs and off Yoshiki, Toshi, Pata and Heath back together onstage for the first time in 10 years (Not including the IV PV :P) and personally i would of rathered just one person, perferrably from the "Extasy family" who wouldn't take too much of the focus off the members and who would play his part, do his bit, and all would be dandy :P Having someone play two or three songs then another "suprise guest" would just spoil the whole thing for me. I'd rather have all the attention of Toshi screaming his lungs out, the screaching of guitars and the smashing of drums instead of "OMG, ITS (Random Guitarist)!!!!"

I hope i've explained this well enough..

MODERATOR'd!

Offline Hollywood

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: March 19, 2008, 06:59:12 PM
Quote from: "Lucs"
Haha ! When I started reading your post I was sure you were gonna talk about how Yoshiki fired Taiji ! Lol ! ;)

:P
Heheh, well, I agree it's obvious that I would bring that up at some point. ;)  I think it's a really valid point in this case though.  No matter whether one prefers Taiji or Heath, I think we can all agree that they are two very different people with very different personalities, and that X with Taiji is much different than X Japan with Heath?  In other words-- Yoshiki doesn't seem opposed to hiring someone who could radically change the band's chemistry.

And as you said it's a matter of taste, and certainly there's no one guitarist that will please everyone.  But I'm still pissed about this because there are SO many guitarists out there who are much closer musically to what X is and was... are they all busy on the 28th and 29th, or what?

@friday-- GREAT POST!  I get what you mean and I totally agree.  The novelty of the guest guitarist thing could indeed end up overshadowing the Yoshiki-Toshi-Pata-Heath reunion...

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: March 19, 2008, 07:11:41 PM
And as you said it's a matter of taste, and certainly there's no one guitarist that will please everyone.

Exactly, and that's why I think people should sit back, relax and wait till after the concerts. There will be enough time to bitch and complain afterwards *g* Wes can play guitar (more or less  :wink:  ), if not Yoshiki would not have chosen him.

About the many guestguitarist overshadowing the comeback, I don't think that's gonna happen, and we still don't know how many will there per day, perhaps on the first two days it's only Wes and a second player (Sugizo?) and on the third night there will be two other guitarists? On the other hand there could be one guitarplayer for every song, that would also be a little bit to much for me *g*

Offline BizKiTRoAcH

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: March 19, 2008, 08:30:49 PM
Wow, there are some tards in here.

Admittedly, I was a fan of Limp Bizkit (and I still am to some extent. I dont listen to them regularly but I do still listen to some of the older stuff) but some of you guys really suck.

Wes Borland is a superb guitarist. It is true that he's not exactly up there with guitarists like Slash or Steve Vai but he knows how to play a guitar properly. Just because he was in a band that a lot of people consider awful, it doesnt mean he sucks.. it just means he made some silly mistakes.. and Yoshiki has done the same in the past (*cough* V2 *cough*). No-one is perfect. I know Wes is an excellent guitarist so i'm quite looking forward to seeing him perform with X.

on a personal note, I was hoping for Tak Matsumoto to fill in on guitar. Tak is amazing :D

Offline Lucs

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xploson
Reply #22 on: March 19, 2008, 09:08:38 PM
Quote from: "BizKiTRoAcH"

Wes Borland is a superb guitarist. It is true that he's not exactly up there with guitarists like Slash or Steve Vai but he knows how to play a guitar properly. Just because he was in a band that a lot of people consider awful, it doesnt mean he sucks.. it just means he made some silly mistakes.. and Yoshiki has done the same in the past (*cough* V2 *cough*). No-one is perfect. I know Wes is an excellent guitarist so i'm quite looking forward to seeing him perform with X.

That kinda answers my first question (about Wes guitar skills).

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to see these shows !

Offline Hollywood

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: March 19, 2008, 09:37:10 PM
Wow, there are some tards in here.

Admittedly, I was a fan of Limp Bizkit (and I still am to some extent. I dont listen to them regularly but I do still listen to some of the older stuff) but some of you guys really suck.

Spare me. :roll:  It's not about skill-- I'm sure Wes is physically capable of playing hide's parts.

A lot of people are.

But it's no different than casting a movie.  Just because someone is capable of memorizing and reciting their lines does not mean they're automatically a great choice for every cinematic or theatrical role on the face of the fucking earth.

Can he play hide's parts?  Most likely.  Is he a good choice in terms of whether he fits with X?  Hell no.

If this turns out well, then great.  I'll be happy to have been wrong about him.  But so far, as far as I'm concerned, this sucks.

Though I do agree with you that Tak Matsumoto for guest guitarist would rock.

Offline BizKiTRoAcH

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: March 19, 2008, 09:41:59 PM

Can he play hide's parts?  Most likely.  Is he a good choice in terms of whether he fits with X?  Hell no.

This is where we have to disagree. Have you seen Wes playing live before? When he was in Limp Bizkit, he was the "hide" of the band. He was the one running around like a maniac, wearing crazy clothes and generally acting silly. This was more so in the earlier part of their career but Wes was "different" to the other members and he stood out like hide does. I think he's a great choice.

I havent seen him performing recently and he may be a bit more "normal" now but this might be a perfect opportunity for him to go back to his roots and act like a silly fool onstage (I mean that in a good way, not a bad way).

Offline Hurley

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: March 19, 2008, 09:46:16 PM
But I'm still pissed about this because there are SO many guitarists out there who are much closer musically to what X is and was... are they all busy on the 28th and 29th, or what?

Umm, I don't think he is going to play a full concert. Just a song or two, he is just one of many guest guitarists. At least that's the impression I have from what Yoshiki said.

Mod color o' mine

Offline RoseOfPain

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Reply #26 on: March 19, 2008, 09:48:48 PM
just because they both are 'different' doesnt mean they are compareable.
IMO, the new guitarist should at least be Japanese (the bands name is X JAPAN) and other then that, I just don't like Wes his guitar playing.

I'VE GOT EXTASY, BUT I FEEL THE TEAR IS FALLING DOWN

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: March 19, 2008, 09:51:14 PM
This is where we have to disagree. Have you seen Wes playing live before? When he was in Limp Bizkit, he was the "hide" of the band. He was the one running around like a maniac, wearing crazy clothes and generally acting silly. This was more so in the earlier part of their career but Wes was "different" to the other members and he stood out like hide does. I think he's a great choice.

I havent seen him performing recently and he may be a bit more "normal" now but this might be a perfect opportunity for him to go back to his roots and act like a silly fool onstage (I mean that in a good way, not a bad way).

Correct, and I would be very happy to see him put on the "Limp Bizkit" Make Up, like in this Clip.

Offline Hurley

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: March 19, 2008, 09:52:01 PM
Quote from: "RoseOfPain"
just because they both are 'different' doesnt mean they are compareable.
IMO, the new guitarist should at least be Japanese (the bands name is X JAPAN) and other then that, I just don't like Wes his guitar playing.

I don't know how much he will get to play at the concerts, but he certainly is not "the new guitarist".

Mod color o' mine

Offline Hollywood

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: March 19, 2008, 09:54:20 PM

Never seen him play live, to be honest, but I've seen some Limp Bizkit music videos-- that was years ago though.  I remember something where he was painted black and white (or all black? something like that) and had those blackout contact lenses like in the pic in the first post of this thread.  So yeah, if that's anything to judge by then I can see where he was the Limp Bizkit equivalent of hide-- the most... "visual" member of the band, for lack of a better word.

I'm still not thrilled about this choice-- at all-- but you know more about this guy than I do, and if you think there's a chance he'll do some crazy costume/makeup/performance stuff... well, I sure wouldn't mind seeing some of that injected back into X again.

Personally I'd like to see some LA metal/sleaze rock elements get back into X too.  Doubt it'll ever happen though.  That all pretty much died the minute Taiji left.