• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Languages

madrigal · 15730

Offline madrigal

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
on: February 21, 2008, 08:18:54 PM
There are a lot of different people her that come from many different countries så I figured a nice language discussion would be nice :D

What languages do you know? Maternal language? What languages do you speak a bit/fluently? :)

My education is specifically concentrated on languages and I find it extremly interesting! :D

I myself have Swedish as my maternal language and I speak English fluently. I have studied Spanish for four and a half years, I'm also studying Latin and Russian since this autumn. And of course, my dream is to go to Japan after I finish school to learn Japanese! :D (I've already started a bit ;) )

So what do you all think about languages? Do you all hate cases?  :wink:

Offline Hollywood

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/363181252
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 08:33:21 PM
My maternal language is English, and I'm sorry to say I can't speak anything else fluently... yet.

I can speak/understand/read/write some Japanese; I started learning it 12 years ago but after the first few years I got lazy with it and didn't make much progress.  I think I'm going to make this the year when I get more serious about it again.

I can also understand/read a small amount of Spanish and an even smaller amount of Italian.  Someday I'd like to learn more of both of those too.

color=darkred]STAND UP!  FUCK UP![/color]

Offline VioletCamicat

• Die-hard fan
  • Beware of the toxic kitten!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/violet_camicat
Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 08:49:46 PM
o.o My native language is German and I can write/speak English quite fluently (still improving).
I also learned French at school, but since that language never interested me, I forgot most about it, hehe.
Apart from this I can speak some single words in many many languages. But I thing about 3 up to 20 words don't count. XD (would be Japanese, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Turkish and so on XD)

mod mode

And out of the chaos I heard a voice telling me:
"Smile and be happy - it could have become worse!"
So I smiled and was happy... and it became worse

Offline Maverick

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 11:18:37 PM
My maternal language is also German, and besides I'm speaking/writing English quite fluently. At school I also learned Russian and a little Latin (but I forgot most of both)
Since I started studying at university I also learn Japanese and Chinese, but well, I'm still learning and not very good in it (Chinese less than Japanese)

Everywhere there flows...... BLUE BLOOD!!

Offline Envenom

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 02:30:11 AM
My native language is Dutch. My English is pretty good, I understand German perfectly (although I'm not that great at actually speaking ze Zjerman language, hehe), my French is okay and I can speak some Spanish (not a lot though, but enough to ask some basic stuff). I can read basic Latin and more complicated (ancient) Greek (Homer for example).

http://www.myspace.com/sunrisehmsh

SUNRISE: the heavy metal benchpressing maniacs running wild!

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 09:51:25 AM
Native languages: Russian and Estonian (I don't remember much of Estonian, though, just some words and phrases)
Fluent in speaking/reading/writing: German/Upperaustrian accent ( :P ) and English
Quite good in: French, Spanish
Understand: Most Slavic languages thanks to my Russian, a little Italian thanks to Latin, Latin, bits of Portuguese thanks to my Spanish
Trying (and failing) to learn: Japanese, Chinese, Scottish/Irish/Aussie/American accents

RIP

Offline Lucs

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xploson
Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 09:58:51 AM
My maternal language is French.

I learnt English and German at school. Even though I'm not that good in German. I can understand it and probably talk a little... but when I meet german people, we speak in English most of the time.

Warum ist die Banane krum ?

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 11:09:54 AM
I'm a born Estonian so I speak Estonian fluently. And I'm fluent in English also. I have studied Russian and German at school but I fail at both miserably. When/If I get to a university, I'll try to pick up Japanese.

This is my administrator color.

Offline Maverick

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 12:19:24 PM
@Envenom: Yeah, Dutch and German are pretty similar - while reading I understand most of it though I never learned Dutch and couldn't write/talk by myself

Quote from: "Lucs"
Warum ist die Banane krum ?

Weil niemand in den Urwald zog und die Banane gerade bog :lol:

Everywhere there flows...... BLUE BLOOD!!

Offline Arucard

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • http://j-metal.ueuo.com
Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 10:46:20 PM
Well, I'm brazilian, so my maternal language is portuguese... I can speak/write english fluently...

I also have some notions of spanish... I can read spanish easily, but have a hard time speaking/writting it...

I know a few words in japanese, learned mainly through watching animes and listening to japanese music...

And I know some words in italian, learned mainly through my great-grandma cursing me in italian when I was a kid...

I guess languages I still want to learn are japanese, italian, german and maybe some russian... Russian sounds damn cool...

VODKA!  :twisted:

img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e396/Erocard/Clipboard01-4.jpg[/img]

Offline ppingg

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 06:57:39 AM
i can speak chinese and english and some chinese dialects

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 03:45:42 PM
Quote from: "Arucard"
Russian sounds damn cool...

VODKA!  :twisted:

I ensure you that's the only word you'll need if you ever go to Russia, you'll make friends instantly by using it.

(I'm only half joking, cause it's kinda true  :shock: )

RIP

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 05:13:04 PM
My mother tongue is german, and I'm fluent (more or less) in english, also speaking some french but not really good. Learned it in school for 4 years, but I was bad at that time and I'm even worse now *g* My japanese only consists of a few words.

Offline darkcat21

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 05:57:51 PM
My mother tongues are Spanish and Catalan, I'm fluent at English and I can speak a bit of Latin and Greek, although I fail all 3. And I can understand quite good Portuguese, Galician, Italiand and Occita.

hi there

Offline Arucard

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 12:05:37 AM
Quote from: "darkcat21"
And I can understand quite good Portuguese

Sério? Isso sim é uma coisa difícil de se achar por aí... Ninguém se interessa muito por português... ^^

Now translate it...  :twisted:

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 12:45:31 PM
Seriously/really? It is one hard thing to learn.. nobody's interested in Portueguese much....

Ok, I fail, c'mon dark, translate it  :lol:

RIP

Offline Arucard

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 08:48:32 PM
Hahaha, that was pretty close ferret! But I didn't say it's hard to learn, what I said is that it's hard to find people interested in portuguese...  8)

Offline Lights

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: March 05, 2008, 07:55:35 PM
I used to speak Hungarian. Though it's a long time ago, I forgot a lot of it.
Now, I go on English-only mostly.

Forever love, forever dream.

Aim for the future, or the past will eat you up alive and think you are very yummy.

Offline Artseeker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: March 05, 2008, 10:47:53 PM
My mother language is Italian but I also write and speak English quite fluently(at least I like to think so 8) )
I'm also studying Spanish at university,but it's still quite hard for me to have a normal conversation with a Spanish person 8)

Offline Mytrhil Taralom

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: March 06, 2008, 08:31:54 AM
I speak Dutch, English, still learning to speak German (it is going well with the listening and reading, just the talking and writing are hard for me), a little French and a few words in Japanese

~Don't Forget To Be Awesome~

Offline darkcat21

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: March 24, 2008, 08:55:22 PM
Hahaha, that was pretty close ferret! But I didn't say it's hard to learn, what I said is that it's hard to find people interested in portuguese...  8)

Portuguese is very close to Spanish actually. Sometimes it seems the same language.  :)

hi there

Offline Arucard

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: March 25, 2008, 10:52:40 PM
Quote from: "darkcat21"

Portuguese is very close to Spanish actually. Sometimes it seems the same language.  :)

Man, I don't think that at all...  8)  To me spanish sounds closer to italian than to portuguese sometimes... I think spanish is a very hard language to domain... I can read well in it, and can uderstand when people speak it slowly, but I can't speak or write more than two lines in spanish...

Offline Mitsuko

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/sparklysquee
Reply #22 on: March 28, 2008, 05:25:41 PM
My mother language is English :P

I took 4 years of Japanese and French in high school. My French reading and writing was very good, my Japanese... not so much. XD (Did I mention US high schools suck?)

I'm living in Costa Rica now so my Spanish is pretty good but I'm not completely fluent. I can get around. It interrupts my French now so my French speaking/writing is not so good anymore.  :evil:

Lady, lady are you ready to go?
Why do you have to be laying down?

XisMyLoVeFoReVa

Reply #23 on: April 01, 2008, 06:11:37 PM
My first language Russian and I'm learning English now very slow XD

Offline Skooter

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
Reply #24 on: April 01, 2008, 07:11:57 PM
I'm basically trilingual. My mother tongue is Dutch, but since I live in Belgium my French is pretty good as well, and my English really isn't as bad as it used to be.
I study English and French at university, so in a few years I should speak both just as well as I speak Dutch :D.

Offline nage

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #25 on: April 01, 2008, 09:31:26 PM
Maternal language: Slovak

Fluently speaking: Czech (XD I guess.......)

Other: English (could be better, hm), German (was learning 8 years on high school but already forgot everything), French (started learning about 4+ months ago)

I started learning Italian but gave up because I'm a lazy ass. Almost the same happened to my Japanese but I'm starting again!! I want to understand at least!! :3

May X be with you!

Offline Konata

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: April 01, 2008, 09:43:26 PM
I come from a bilingual family, my mom speaks Finnish and dad speaks Swedish. I spoke English better way back when before I started listening to X, honestly, it ruined my English! Selebrashoon.

I also study French in school, 8+ months I think? ... I can't count to ten yet. I understand Norwegian perfectly, and a little bit of German. My Japanese skillz have also gone up after I started visiting the concerts of these little v-kei guys with the finger-lip pose being their trademark. Those concerts can get hilarious, and are worth the money, I assure you.

Offline kendofreak

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: April 01, 2008, 10:15:39 PM
my maternal language is English, but i can speak Irish,

been learning Japanese for about 3 years now and not fluent but getting there (i hope).

i did French in school for 3 years!

Offline Hyunkel

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: April 02, 2008, 03:52:54 AM
My mother tongue is French...I'm still studying English and Spanish (I'm 17). My English is quite good I think^^ but my Spanish is just...pathetic...and I have a mock exam in Spanish in less than 1 hour -_-"

..Close your eyes and I'll kill you in the rain...

...Art of Life An Eternal Bleeding Heart...

Offline Mii

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • LAST.FM PAGE
Reply #29 on: April 02, 2008, 05:50:23 AM
Mother language is finnish and I can speak and write english pretty well. Woul love to learn Russian, French and Japanese in the future.

We Are X! Since 2001!
Psychedelic Violence|Crime of Visual Shock
Last.FM|XFreak Moment