• XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Current status of SKIN?

Hollywood · 21006

Offline Hollywood

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/363181252
on: January 31, 2008, 08:01:10 PM
Does anyone know the current status of SKIN?  (Forgive me if this is a stupid question, I'm kind of out of the loop.)  I went to the concert but haven't heard any news about them since-- no singles, albums, additional concerts, nothing.

I assumed that Yoshiki would have dropped SKIN once the X Japan reunion became a reality-- after all, if you can get X Japan back together, why bother with SKIN anymore?-- but just curious if I've missed some news.

(That concert was a very strange experience, by the way.)

color=darkred]STAND UP!  FUCK UP![/color]

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 08:08:12 PM
Well, Yoshiki is probably still working with them, to some extent... But as he has ~a million other projects as well I wouldn't expect much from SKIN just yet.

This is my administrator color.

Offline Hollywood

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 08:51:26 PM
Thanks both of you.  That's pretty much what I suspected... I wouldn't mind seeing more of SKIN in the future-- in my opinion any band with both Yoshiki and Sugizo in it has potential to be interesting-- but given that Yoshiki is now busy with X Japan (among other things) I'm certainly not complaining.

Offline UVER

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 09:12:43 PM
Hmm I think Yoshiki said something after or before their concert that they had recorded around 7 or 8 demos I think ... they might want to finish them *someday*. Oh well. Too bad we don't have news thought, I really like Beneath Your Skin and Killing You Softly...

Offline NinjaGeek

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 06:19:35 PM
Any idea if there's gonna be a live DVD release of sorts?

: Would you jump off a bridge just because everyone else was doing it?
A: Yes, because the pile of bodies would break my fall.

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 08:08:38 PM
There haven't been any accouncements about SKIN for months...

...When the morning begins
I'll be in the next chapter...

Offline Hollywood

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 08:19:15 PM
Quote from: "NinjaGeek"
Any idea if there's gonna be a live DVD release of sorts?

I think I remember seeing professional cameras at the concert... don't quote me on that, though, it's been a while.

But I feel like if there were to be a DVD of just that concert, it would have come out by now.  If X decides to tour or record after the Tokyo Dome concerts, I suspect it could be a long while until anything more happens with SKIN.  (Not that I'm complaining... I'd rather more X than more SKIN, personally.)

Offline nage

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 07:49:45 AM
There was an interview, where Miyavi said something about them recording... :?: The link is somewhere on JRR... And I didn't read it because I'm not interested in Miyavi, but this is what people were saying... So, hmmm...

But I don't think they'll release anything sooner than in 2009. That's my guess.

May X be with you!

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 12:11:35 PM
S.K.I.N.s current status? I would say on hiatus. And honestly I don't expect there much to come anytime soon, now with X reunited and Miyavi resuming his sucessfull solocareer. Don't get me wrong, I would like to hear the material they recorded and would like to see them in concert, but if I have to chose between them and X ...  :wink:
The best thing so far from S.K.I.N. is, that Miyavi and Sugizo conctributed on a song by Miyavi, so perhaps in the future we will have more "crossovers" between the involved artists.

Offline nage

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 03:03:24 PM
Quote from: "Saint(c)"
The thing is, I read Gackt said in a interview concerning his health he may retire in 2010.

Doesn't he say it every second year?  :?

Well, they will definitely do nothing before X Japan, imho... :3

May X be with you!

Offline Yzaleen

• Fan
  • ... In the Rain...
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 03:30:49 PM
Quote from: "nage"
Quote from: "Saint(c)"
The thing is, I read Gackt said in a interview concerning his health he may retire in 2010.

Doesn't he say it every second year?  :?

He does...
I think we just have to wait & see...

Offline Hollywood

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 05:45:25 PM
Quote from: "Matthias"
but if I have to chose between them and X ...  :wink:

My thoughts exactly. ;)  And, I suspect, Yoshiki's too.

I'd be curious what a SKIN album would be like... I can't say I'd be THAT enthusiastic for one-- naturally I'd much rather a new X Japan album-- but I would probably buy it just out of curiosity and because of Yoshiki and Sugizo.

Not sure whether or not I'd see them in concert again, I guess it would depend on the circumstances and my mood at the time.  50-50 on that one, at this point.  It's hard to imagine Yoshiki and Sugizo playing any kind of concert nearby and me NOT going, but the whole SKIN thing has such a shrill "omg gakuto n myiavi kawaiiiii" fangirl vibe, so...

Offline Madjhatter

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 06:17:31 PM
but the whole SKIN thing has such a shrill "omg gakuto n myiavi kawaiiiii" fangirl vibe, so...

but ZOMG they reely R kawaiiii and on tha same stage SQUEEEE! ...

I'm sorry couldn't help it. I actually do agree with you, I liked the concept at first but after so much of that, ..well theres only so much you can take. well just have to see but it wouldn't suprise me too terribly if the project was dropped.

~Live boldly. Take risks. Make somebody say, "what the hell was that all about?"~

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 01:42:27 AM
Quote from: "Hollywood"
Quote from: "Matthias"
but if I have to chose between them and X ...  :wink:

My thoughts exactly. ;)  And, I suspect, Yoshiki's too./quote]

I think so. I think with S.K.I.N the members wanted to spearhead the whole "Jrock Revolution Movement" in America with an all-star band of Japanese musicians. When the X Japan re-union started to become more of a reality than potential I think Yoshiki simply had to change his priorities.

Offline MiscastDice

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 07:56:47 AM
Personally, I think S.K.I.N. is disbanded, but no one's said it has been so it's more of an informal "everyone wandering away" disbandment rather than an announced or openly dramatic disbandment. (Disbandments are kind of like divorces IMO: some are handled quietly away from everything, others are explosions of high drama)

I think the primary goal of it, whatever it was, has been accomplished, everyone is far more successful in their solo careers, Yoshiki and Sugizo and Miyavi are still all working together/are friends, Gackt is off doing his own thing, and everyone's moved on and is happy having done so.

That said, if you're one for rumors, there were quite a few of some major behind-the-scenes drama between Yoshiki and Gackt. Ego clashes, style differences, something to do with Miyavi, take your pick. I'd honestly agree with these rumors due to Yoshiki's picking TMR over Gackt for the Muteki Band. . . 8)

Offline nage

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 08:14:54 AM
Hahaha. Honestly? I think that TMR has more to do with hide than Gackt. XD

Ok, kidding. I have no idea.

But really, didn't Miyavi say that they've recorded something more as SKIN...? O.o

May X be with you!

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: May 22, 2008, 10:07:44 AM
Just like MiscastDice said, they've probably disbanded informally. After all, it would be absurd to officially announce it when all the band has ever done was a couple of songs and a live concert.

I never expected this band to last, anyway. Most of what I think has already been said. I can't imagine the four of them coexisting pacifically; they're all too famous, too different, too much of an age (or era) gap between them. It would be a bit like mixing Kurt Cobain, Jim Morrison and Billie Joe Armstrong in the same project.

Woah, I can haz admin colour.

Offline ilesoix

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 12:54:07 PM
"JRR: Is S.K.I.N. planning on doing something in 2008?

MIYAVI: Yeah, I think so. You should ask him [YOSHIKI] (laughs). I talked to YOSHIKI a little bit about S.K.I.N., but you know he’s now back with X JAPAN. Besides, each member of S.K.I.N. is running their own projects including me, so it’s kind of difficult to arrange things."

http://www.jrockrevolution.com/index.php/webzine/article/miyavi_interview1/interviews

Offline Leo Van Newhouse

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • http://www.frappr.com/hanoirocksfrapper
Reply #18 on: May 23, 2008, 08:02:53 PM
I'd like to see them work on some new music, when ever they can.

NOT FAKIN' IT!!!

Offline Edside

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: May 23, 2008, 10:05:39 PM
I really hope they put something out in the market. They can do some interesting music.  :twisted:

Offline Menacia

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 10:47:32 PM
I'd be happy if they just released their live concert.
Even though it's only 4 songs, I want a DVD. Those super stars on one stage!! Damn, I so want to replace crappy bootleg stuff with good quality retail footage ^_^

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: May 29, 2008, 12:35:48 AM
I don't think Yoshiki picked TMR over Gackt for the hide memorial in any possible sense; but personally I think I would prefer TMR as the vocalist of SKIN in place of Gackt. I think Gackt is an extremely talented musician, and would bring expertise in several instruments to SKIN (much more than Takanori would) but I believe that puting him and Yoshiki in the same band is disaster waiting to happen.

Rumours of arguments between the members aside, I think it's simply a case of different people having different priorities. Gackt is currently busy being filmed in a big Hollywood movie, Miyavi is touring the world and Yoshiki is back with X Japan. It seems that Sugizo is just doing his own thing, helping out both Yoshiki and Miyavi recently as well as working with Juno Reactor and his other projects.

Offline Aerce

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: August 14, 2008, 01:34:09 AM
I'd like to see them work on some new music, when ever they can.

Yea.. me too. I really want to hear what they can come up with.

But I doubt we will hear them.

Offline Menacia

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: August 14, 2008, 09:51:16 AM
I might have missed something but as far as I remember there was never anything mentioned after the concert about further S.K.I.N. progress. sad in a way. I want the damn live on DVD!!!

Offline Aerce

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: August 14, 2008, 04:38:33 PM
I might have missed something but as far as I remember there was never anything mentioned after the concert about further S.K.I.N. progress. sad in a way. I want the damn live on DVD!!!

Same here.

Offline Dead Fairy

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
Reply #25 on: October 02, 2008, 07:14:20 PM
Here is something Sugizo said in a new Interview

Since Luna Sea you’ve done a lot of collaborations, a lot of work with other people, and I wanted to check in on the current status of some of them. What happened with SKIN?
Well of course we’re going to continue.

Have you guys all just been too busy doing other things?
Yes, very busy, but all the members want to continue. I don’t know when, maybe next year we can all join again.

Quelle

Offline Menacia

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: October 02, 2008, 10:24:00 PM
now that'd be really cool if S.K.I.N. would do anything...anything at all, like releasing the concert on DVD.
anyways, let's hope for the best.

Offline Dead Fairy

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
Reply #27 on: October 02, 2008, 10:39:13 PM
The concert on DVD would be so awsome... and one album... I want "Killing you softly" as studio version...

Offline vayz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • My kinda music
Reply #28 on: October 03, 2008, 12:52:52 AM
The concert on DVD would be so awsome... and one album... I want "Killing you softly" as studio version...
I second your motion >>>>>

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #29 on: October 03, 2008, 08:07:59 AM
Same here! Concert dvd and the songs in studio version (preferably with some mroe :P) and I'll be happy. :D

Well, bussy as they are, let's see what'll happen... it's probably better not to keep one's hopes too high >.<;

...When the morning begins
I'll be in the next chapter...