How do you pronounce..

Uncontrol · 2679

Offline Uncontrol

• Filesharers
  • Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
on: December 15, 2007, 10:02:33 PM
Yoshiki and Kurenai?

In my head, I've always said "yo-she-key", but it sounds like Toshi says "yosh-key". Yosh as in Yoshi.

It sounds like Toshi also says "kur-an-nye" or something, but that doesn't look right.

So, which are they? It's been bugging me for years. :(

Offline xScQ

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • We are U.N.I.T.E.D!
Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 11:13:39 PM
I.. actually had to think for a minute because, it's pretty easy to just repeat what you hear, so in that way pronunciation is very easy. But I think what you are trying to do is to have a written pronounced version? In that case its yosh-key yes, and kurenai is just ku re nai.. haha. Just listen to Toshi in any Kurenai song, live. Like curry (as in Adam Curry) without ry, and 'end' without d, and then eye. But Cur with the typical rolling r sound. You know.. R-L. Cur-en-eye..

Offline Uncontrol

• Filesharers
  • Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 11:21:50 PM
So, if Yoshiki is "yosh-key" what happens to the "I" in the middle? <_<

And to make sure I understand..Kurenai is "coo ree nye"?

Offline xScQ

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • We are U.N.I.T.E.D!
Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 11:23:19 PM
The i is silent.. just like alot of letters are silent in french words. And no, it's not coo-ree-nye.. Toshi doesn't say coo-ree-nye, but it's close.. the 'ree-nye'

But just to verify again.. if you're worried about the pronouncing of names (and also hoping you have such audio samples at hand) isn't repeating what someone says quite easy? Not to sound harsh but for example.. I could probably pronounce every japanese word if only I had an audio sample at hand.

What I'm saying is that after reading your question, I actually went to listen to a live kurenai, where Toshi typically says the name of the song after the into, and based on that I'm trying to explain it to you.

Offline Uncontrol

• Filesharers
  • Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 11:52:07 PM
Eh.

If you listen to the Last Live version, it sounds like KU RYE FKHFHDIHBPHFAIUSIUB *music*. XD

It's hard to hear over all of the loudness of a rock concert, so it's not like I have actual samples of Toshi pronouncing Kurenai calmly. <_<

Offline X-J

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 08:32:09 AM
To my understanding Kurenai is littered in English roughly as:

"cure-an-eye"

but with a hard U (as in "moon") and R with you tongue closer to your front teeth but still touching the palate and not bending it backwards when exhaling. For a Finn, that's easy because that's the only R we have!  :D

Only what is in motion can rest."
-Martin Heidegger

Offline qwerty

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 10:17:33 AM
Yoshiki : Yos-ki
Kurenai : Ku(like "co" in cool) - Len - Na - Ye

note: Japanese pronounce their "R" as "L" in English, e.g. "Ra" should be pronounced as "La".

Offline nemetroid

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 04:07:03 PM
Quote from: "qwerty"
note: Japanese pronounce their "R" as "L" in English, e.g. "Ra" should be pronounced as "La".

Not really, it's just that in japanese the sounds "R" and "L" are used for the same kana (for example, my Japanese teacher always says "loku" and "loppon") and thus it seems that some find them difficult to hold apart in English.

Just like as a lot of native English speakers have problems with making the correct sounds in Japanese, as seen in this thread.  :wink:

Offline kamikaze_shamrock

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 05:12:24 AM
like Lusty Nail?  :roll: