• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

[Interview] TOSHI: Love With You

NanniGong · 5499

Offline NanniGong

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
on: July 06, 2007, 02:58:06 PM
The interview is from a Chinese magazine called Cool Music, which is my (and my roomates') favourite magazine. Here's the translation. (If there's anything confusing in it, please tell me. :wink: )

TOSHI: Love With You….

Happy With You…

It’s the second time you come to China. Do you have any different feelings?
TOSHI: This time I found the food here more delicious. When I came here last year, this guy (pointed at the staff beside him) took me to a lot of restaurants, but nothing was delicious there. When I came to Shanghai the first time, I thought that there must be a lot of delicious foods, and I wanted to try all of them. But I was disappointed at last. This year the food tastes much better. And I asked someone else to guide me, of course. (laugh)

Did you eat Xiaolongbao?
TOSHI: Xiaolongbao….No. I only ate that in Japan.

But during last year’s concert, a fan asked you the same question, you said yes…
TOSHI: Ah, I lied! Ha ha ha ha……In fact I didn’t. Hmmm….did we really eat that last year? (asking the staff beside him) Oh…during the first visit to Shanghai, we ate Xiaolongbao in the first restaurant we chose. I expected it to be very delicious, but it was so-so…

Xiaolongbao is a kind of traditional Chinese food:

You have been to Shanghai twice. What’s your impression about Shanghai?
TOSHI: As a matter of fact, I don’t have any special impression. Shanghai, and even Korea, is not far from Japan. The journey takes only 3 hours. So I don’t feel that I’m in another country.

I’ve been looking through the photos of you. I found that you took many photos with toy bears. Do you like toy bears very much?
TOSHI: Oh, really? Yeah, I like toy bears very much. But I don’t like real bears. If there was a real one, I must be the first to run for my life! (laugh) Or I would be eaten. That’s really a serious matter between life and death! Ha ha ha ha ha…

X With You…

Many people are paying attention to X JAPAN reunion. How is everything going on now?
TOSHI: The details haven’t been announced yet.

You visited LA and met YOSHIKI just a few months ago. Can you tell us something about that?
TOSHI: After I arrived in LA, I went to YOSHIKI’s studio. We talked quite a lot there. In the studio I listened to the song “Without You”. It’s a very excellent song. I had never listened to it before. The song we heard at that time was temporarily recorded with another vocalist. After reading the lyric, I found the lyric very great, too. And then YOSHIKI played the piano and I sang along it. I was deeply touched when singing the song. I think YOSHIKI was also touched. This song was written by him right after hide’s death, which came out from an extreme of despair and sadness. The theme of the song is about the attitude towards death, with a strong will to express that “I want to live”. And during these 10 years I myself sang songs to heal other people’s hearts in a simplest way, telling people that no matter how difficult it is, we must live on bravely. I was simply touched by Without You, and I wanted to send this song to others. YOSHIKI thinks so, too. So we decided to do it together.

How did you have the chance to go to LA?
TOSHI: As there were so many things to do before, my friends told me that “YOSHIKI wanted to talk to you”. Then we talked on the phone and we met each other during his visit to Japan. At that time we appointed that “let’s meet in LA next time”, so I went there.

Will the reunited X JAPAN remain active after Without You?
TOSHI: I don’t think so. In fact, I don’t know. But it seems to be impossible. This time we just suddenly wanted to do something together and didn’t think about how long it will last. I’m not sure whether we will keep it on or not.

Is Without You being produced now?
TOSHI: We haven’t started recording yet. And I don’t know when it will be released, either.

If you sing X JAPAN songs again, will you adapt to that?
TOSHI: I haven’t tried so I’m not sure. I don’t think I can sing the violent songs now. But as for the ballads full of love, I’ll always be glad to sing them, no matter when or where.

It has been 10 years since X JAPAN broke up. Both YOSHIKI and you change a lot.
TOSHI: Yeah, 10 years have passed, and I’m 10 years older than that time. Maybe the biggest change is that I’m an old man now. (laugh) During these years I experienced many things, especially the past decade, because I’ve been living a different new life. When I was in X JAPAN, I had been trying my best to get higher and higher. This struggle seemed to be endless. And I found myself lost and empty. So I gave myself a graduation, and started to take a lower and lower attitude. In my opinion, the lower I get, the higher I’ll reach. Maybe it’s difficult to understand, but to me “a graduation” means that I’m going to seek after a higher place. The decade is very happy indeed. It is like a very precious journey with tears and learning.

As for TOSHI, what do X JAPAN times mean to you?
TOSHI: Ah, this is a difficult question…As we (YOSHIKI and I) started the band since we were very young, X JAPAN filled quite a big part of my life. It used to make me empty and depressed, but now I think it is a very, very precious memory.

Do you know about YOSHIKI’s band with Gackt, SUGIZO and Miyavi?
TOSHI: Yeah. But I’m not interested in it. (laugh) In fact I really don’t know much about that. I know that he has a variety of projects, and it is just one of them.

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b352/goney13/IMG_0005.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b352/goney13/IMG_0012.jpg

And this is what Toshi was reading, in the picture above.
http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b352/goney13/IMG_0002.jpg

Offline Kuroneko

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/kuroneko247
Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 03:37:45 PM
...... :shock:....*hugz*....THANK YOU!....  :shock: ..... :oops:  :oops:  :oops: ................

Offline NanniGong

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 03:56:47 PM
You're welcome.
Oh,sorry. I slipped the pic of the interview by mistake. I've edited it. It's the second link.

Offline Anna

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Tsurezuregusa
Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 04:43:10 PM
Thanks!  :D

Pony rocks!

Offline BizKiTRoAcH

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 05:30:20 PM
That was an interesting read. Thanks :)

Offline Amethyst_Dahlia

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart!
Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 07:37:41 PM
Thank you so much for translating that! ^_^

That interview was kind of bittersweet. o.o Some parts made me happy. ^_^ But other parts were kind of sad. =(

Offline alex

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 03:26:09 AM
Very interesting, thank you for that. It's still pretty sad news when he talked about X's future however :(

Offline Anna

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Tsurezuregusa
Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 08:23:05 AM
Very interesting, thank you for that. It's still pretty sad news when he talked about X's future however

Well, it's the first time I hear something like that, his other interviews were carried in a slightly different tune, I think... but after all, we don't know that much about the whole revival. Somehow I doubt they would reunite just for one live or one recording, so I'm not really taking it for a definite answer...
However, if it was really so, then at least they would remain on good terms and that itself is fine with me. As long as there's no other painful 'divorce'.

Yet, I still hope the reunited X Japan will be bit more active than suggested here.  :D

Pony rocks!

Offline alex

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 10:27:01 AM
I was more concerned about the part where he didn't want to sing "violent" songs anymore. I wouldn't wanna travel the world and show up to hear a few of the best ballads ever created, I would like to travel there to see some of the best songs ever created.

Offline Kuroneko

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/kuroneko247
Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 01:46:57 PM
Quote from: "alex"
I was more concerned about the part where he didn't want to sing "violent" songs anymore. I wouldn't wanna travel the world and show up to hear a few of the best ballads ever created, I would like to travel there to see some of the best songs ever created.

I second that!.... :)...

Offline XXX

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 06:14:09 PM
Quote from: "Kuroneko"

That is right. X was all about violence.. hahaha  :lol:  
If they're gonna turn into a ballad-only boyband I'd rather don't see
them do a reunion concert at all. It's not X without Toshi screaming
and Yoshiki drumming like crazy!

Offline Hurley

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: July 07, 2007, 06:20:09 PM
Quote from: "XXX"
Quote from: "Kuroneko"

That is right. X was all about violence.. hahaha  :lol:  
If they're gonna turn into a ballad-only boyband I'd rather don't see
them do a reunion concert at all. It's not X without Toshi screaming
and Yoshiki drumming like crazy!

Yeah, and I think what Toshi needs now is some ass kicking after all these years of healing people ;P

Mod color o' mine

Offline radicalblues

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 12:38:18 AM
Well, nothing we didn't expect.

X has always been uncertain and random, even the members have no idea what will happen after the reunion or even what the song selection will be :P

I can't figure Toshi singing again Orgasm or Kurenai, but maybe he'll adventure into some hide songs like Scars, or the cheering song Dahlia, or the hymn X just for the heck of it. After all Pata and Heath will have to do something more than play the silent ballad music and solos :P

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 08:37:13 AM
In the studio I listened to the song “Without You”. It’s a very excellent song. I had never listened to it before.

What the........ :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

Oh please...Yoshiki and him spend most time of their life together...lol...How can someone be so ignorant towards an old friends actions???
*wants to punsh him so hard*

And it seems like he doesn't know what he wants to do at all!? Didn't he say he wants to make noise with yoshiki once again?
Hmpf I'm really angry on him!  :evil:

...When the morning begins
I'll be in the next chapter...

Offline alex

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: July 15, 2007, 09:38:26 AM
What's Toshi's natural reaction today if fans approach him and praises his work in X?